Well, that's definitely relative, considering not all gigs are the same size. What kind of gigs are you playing? Like small bars/pubs/parties? or like actual venues?

And for practice, I would say at least 75 watts SS or 30 watts tube.
I'd say 30 watts tube would be good enough for small gigs. For solid state, at least 50 watts... but really, it depends on the amp. I notice some amps at the same wattage are different volume, but have similar headrooms.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Swap-Meet
would the 50 watt SS have to be cranked to max?

No. I've done gigs with my 15 watt Marshall MG before - but you pretty much get no clean headroom.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
No. I've done gigs with my 15 watt Marshall MG before - but you pretty much get no clean headroom.

Yeah but that's just cause of the PA system, you can't be heard over the drummer with a 15 watt amp, and no pa system.

well....I guess maybe if the drummer played really softly you could
Quote by Swap-Meet
Yeah but that's just cause of the PA system, you can't be heard over the drummer with a 15 watt amp, and no pa system.

well....I guess maybe if the drummer played really softly you could

I wasn't plugged into the PA, and my volume was actually pretty much at 8 or 9 in order for me to be heard. My drummer was playing at his usual volume (up to 11) and we were playing in an outside venue.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
I wasn't plugged into the PA, and my volume was actually pretty much at 8 or 9 in order for me to be heard. My drummer was playing at his usual volume (up to 11) and we were playing in an outside venue.

how the hell did your guitar get heard over the drums bass, and vocals then?

Drummers I've jammed with coudln't hear my guitar at max volume (15 wat amp)
this is an extremely open question...

I've seen people play with epiphone valve juniors mic'd up, lol
But if your talking about straigh out of the amp, and mic'ing isn't an option, then I would say 30 watts, tube amp of course...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial