Hey guys...
I'm hopefully getting a new computer and the specs below are the probable outcome...Do you guys think that this is partially future proof enough to handle some modern games like Mass Effect and Mercs 2, and hopefully some games coming out in the future, like within a year, two years from now?

Thanks for the help..specs are below.

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q9450 (12MB Cache,2.66GHz,1333FSB)

MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs

HARD DRIVE 750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable

VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD3870 512MB GDDR4

I'll provide any other information you guys want. I'm building it myself, and I think that it looks pretty decent. What do you guys think>?
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Make it REALLY REALLY shiny, I like shiny things
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Well, that's going to cost a pretty penny, but it would be awesome.
life is beautifuuuuooooaaaaaal
That's a very nice spec.

For going ATi rather than nVidia
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
well you sure as hell have enough hard drive lol. I'm not so sure about desktop graphics cards but I play unreal tournament 3 and quake wars on a laptop with a Nvidia GeForce 9600GT no problem. Might want to compare those specs with yours. If you just google the graphics card there might be some site that says what games you can play with it.
everything else seems fine to me. and i'm a pretty hardcore gamer.
Quote by SonataFanica
Well, that's going to cost a pretty penny, but it would be awesome.

Actually, I'm going to pick up all the parts and a 24" monitor for only about $970.

Our Naval NEX is having a huge sale on electronics.

Quote by Yngwi3
That's a very nice spec.

For going ATi rather than nVidia

I'm rather limited in my choices...plus, nVidia are getting more and more expensive for less and less quality.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
nVidia are getting more and more expensive for less and less quality.

Very true. ATi have raped them this last year.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Thats a sick ass computer very nice processor (12mb cache is nice!) and a really good price. It should run Mass Effect and w/e with no problem.
The Real Deal Holyfield
I'd say go with a Radeon HD 4850 instead of the 3870.
It's a faster card and the best bang for your buck right now.
lol nvidia is better than ATI IMO
sounds like my computer, except i have a AMD Phenom, which is the "true" quad-core not two duo's stuck together like yours.
also what is your OS?
cause if its vista 32 bit then what will happen is that your computer will only use 2 gb of that ram. if its 64 or 84 it will use all 4 gb.
If you are set on ATI, I would get a 4870, or a 4870x2. It's the top of the line card right now, and that's coming from a dedicated Nvidia fan. What's the brand on the memory? And yes, unless you get 64 bit OS, you can only use 3.5 GB/RAM minus the video card memory. Any other questions ask, I build these things for a living.
"It it best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and prove it."
Quote by convictionless
lol nvidia is better than ATI IMO

Hmm....

*Is not going to say any more on the matter *
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by apec_solo_king
If you are set on ATI, I would get a 4870, or a 4870x2. It's the top of the line card right now, and that's coming from a dedicated Nvidia fan. What's the brand on the memory? And yes, unless you get 64 bit OS, you can only use 3.5 GB/RAM minus the video card memory. Any other questions ask, I build these things for a living.

But is that a good or a bad thing? Are you saying 32 Vista actually doesn't recognize any memory higher than 3.5 gigs?

Also, don't modern games usually require Vista 32?

Another question (I'm an avid XP/Linux user, so I don't know much about vista)

What's the main difference between 32 and 64 Vista?
Well, there have been some driver issues in some cases with 64bit, but you would be fine. I really don't think you need more than 3 gigs of RAM. I play all the latest games and only use 3.5. I have no problems what so ever. But if you do memory intensive tasks, such as video encoding, or a lot of photo editing, you will want the added RAM usage of 64bit. Otherwise, just use 32 and you'll be fine.
"It it best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and prove it."