I keep hearing about how so many different bands of so many different genres use the minor pentatonic scale for soloing and songwriting. But what is it that the minor pentatonic scale actually does? How does it show you how to solo or improvise better?
its a basic scale to help one play faster. its also a confidence thing.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
It's just another tool in a musicians arsenal. One of many scales it's good to know if you want to solo or something
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
All scales help your songwriting and theory knowledge.
And if you use that scale, you'll be Slash in no time.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
it's a more bluesy sounding scale. i guess everyone likes the blues a little

but it doesn't make you play faster as stated before. it's easier to play on a major scale or minor, cus you don't have to change strings so often. that slows you down.
Quote by black-sabbath
And if you use that scale, you'll be Slash in no time.

Do I want that?

So, it just helps me build up speed while switching strings during solos or something?

EDIT: So wait, minor pentatonic scales aren't used for metal? What is the purpose of minor and major scales, then?
Last edited by FryingNemo at Sep 7, 2008,
What is the purpose of minor and major scales, then?

They're the basis of very nearly all harmony and melody in Western music.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
The minor pentatonic just has this very rocky and bluesy sound to it, so a LOT of people like to use it, including Kirk Hammett, Zakk Wylde, Slash and many more. The reason it will help you is because it's a fairly basic scale, only 5 notes, but you can do a fair bit with it and nearly anything you play in it will sound rocky or bluesy unless you deliberately try to not sound that way.
sig goes here
Probably the majority of all rock solos use the minor pentatonic scale. You know that 5 minute guitar solo in Free Bird? Almost all minor pentatonic.
Quote by FryingNemo
Do I want that?

So, it just helps me build up speed while switching strings during solos or something?

EDIT: So wait, minor pentatonic scales aren't used for metal? What is the purpose of minor and major scales, then?

well. I mean. if it isn't used for metal...it's not important.

Both are used for about everything.

A lot of metal guitarists use harmonic and melodic minor scales becuase they sound cool and metally if used correctly.

Minor and major scales are the base for western music.

Edit: eb Minor pentatonic shredding. it's not ALL pentatonic. But it's based off of the pentatonic. Other scales build on top op the penta and he's doing that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScsWQ5fe83M&feature=related
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by FryingNemo
I keep hearing about how so many different bands of so many different genres use the minor pentatonic scale for soloing and songwriting. But what is it that the minor pentatonic scale actually does? How does it show you how to solo or improvise better?

It doesnt show you anything. Its just one of many scales, that happens to be used alot for guitar solos, especially in blues and rock.
shred is gaudy music
the backbone to a branch of scales. pentatonic could arguably be the most useful scale maybe.
Quote by FryingNemo
Do I want that?

Scales don't help you build up speed - practicing helps you build up speed. Scales only serve a musical purpose, not a technical one, the minor pentatonic is the minor scale missing the least "awkward" notes which makes it a little simpler to work with when writing or improvising.

If you want to know why scales are important you should read Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by FryingNemo

Minor Pentatonic, more specifically, A Minor Pentatonic is basically the centre of the rock universe. That's all you need to know.
Quote by steven seagull
Scales don't help you build up speed - practicing helps you build up speed. Scales only serve a musical purpose, not a technical one, the minor pentatonic is the minor scale missing the least "awkward" notes which makes it a little simpler to work with when writing or improvising.

If you want to know why scales are important you should read Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.

+1
I always like what seagull has to say
Quote by Artemis Entreri
A lot of metal guitarists use harmonic and melodic minor scales becuase they sound cool and metally if used correctly.
Most metal guys are more likely to use a pentatonic scale than a harmonic/melodic minor scale.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
well. I mean. if it isn't used for metal...it's not important.

I think his question was, if you don't use them for metal, what DO you use them for? Funk, jazz, ect. ect. He was asking what their application is.
sig goes here
uses the blues scale. the devils note is in it. the flat fifth aka the tritone.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.