hey all, I noticed the other day that i seen to mute strings below the one i am playing with my index finger, it doesnt arch as much as the other fingers. say i am playing a lead on the 4th string then the 3rd string will be muted by my index will this cause me any problems later on? thanks for any advice on my left hand technique
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Last edited by lwayneio at Sep 8, 2008,
You should be using the index finger in the first place, so it shouldn't get in the way.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
You should be using the index finger in the first place, so it shouldn't get in the way.

what? I am pretty sure everyone uses their 1st finger for fretting its typically peoples strongest finger and i have never seen a guitarist not use it lol. sorry maybe my grammer has made it hard to understand what i am asking. I am trying to say that if i am playing say a lead of just 1-2-3-4 and i use my fingers 1-2-3-4 to play it the strings under it will be muted by my 1st finger
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Last edited by lwayneio at Sep 8, 2008,
if your not playing those strings, why do you care that they are muted??

you really dont make a lot of sense you know - think about what you want to say BEFORE you write it down ;-)
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
if your not playing those strings, why do you care that they are muted??

Chords....
Quote by Jarryd.
Chords....

lead... (he even said he was playing a lead line)
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
yeh i guess i dunno i was just not sure because all the guitar tutorial vids iv seen they say to keep your fingers arched so that you dont touch any of the other strings buy my index doesnt arch enough. I was just wondering if it was something i should try to sort out or just not worry about it. I rarely mute when playing chords though so i suppose its alright. sorry it was a bit of a dmub question I was just worry that i was playing with poor technique and i wanted to sort it before it becomes to late.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
hey all, I noticed the other day that i seen to mute strings below the one i am playing with my index finger, it doesnt arch as much as the other fingers. say i am playing a lead on the 4th string then the 3rd string will be muted by my index will this cause me any problems later on? thanks for any advice on my left hand technique

From what I understand you seem to be doing naturally something that takes some players years to learn - proper muting technique. It's a very good thing, don't change it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
well it only mute the string below usually none of the others, i see what your all saying now though that muting the strings i aint playing is actually a good thing for some reason i didnt think about it like that. well shall i try to use that and my palm to mute strings above? I might try to make a video of me playing something so i can get some advice, thanks
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
well it only mute the string below usually none of the others, i see what your all saying now though that muting the strings i aint playing is actually a good thing for some reason i didnt think about it like that. well shall i try to use that and my palm to mute strings above? I might try to make a video of me playing something so i can get some advice, thanks

Yeah, that's pretty much proper muting technique in a nutshell but if you want or need some clarification you should watch this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
okay il watch that video and try to get my technique better, i want to make sure i have an okay technique before its too late to change it
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
i have another question but didnt want to start another thread. I have difficulty playing the top string cleanly as my hands (fingers) are very small, is there any techniques that would help and also what guitars might be easier for me to play the top string? is the ibanez wizard II neck wide in comparison to other guitars or are they all the same? sorry im a newb
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
i have another question but didnt want to start another thread. I have difficulty playing the top string cleanly as my hands (fingers) are very small, is there any techniques that would help and also what guitars might be easier for me to play the top string? is the ibanez wizard II neck wide in comparison to other guitars or are they all the same? sorry im a newb

Ibanez necks are famously thin actually.

Small hands mean nothing: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mqgTdVuGrAQ

What you need to do is practice.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Ibanez necks are famously thin actually.

Small hands mean nothing: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mqgTdVuGrAQ

What you need to do is practice.

I know they are thin but i meant are they wide as in the distance between the bottom and top string or is that the same on all guitars except like 7 strings of course. IS the wizard and prestige necks (say the ibanez rg1570) thinner than the wizard II or about the same
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
I know they are thin but i meant are they wide as in the distance between the bottom and top string or is that the same on all guitars except like 7 strings of course. IS the wizard and prestige necks (say the ibanez rg1570) thinner than the wizard II or about the same

I know exactly what you meant and I stand by what I said; what you need is practice, not a new guitar.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I know exactly what you meant and I stand by what I said; what you need is practice, not a new guitar.

yeh i know your right was just wondering as i want a new guitar eventually, im thinking xmas or spring next year and to spend no more than say £500 and in the mean time buy a boss gt-6/8 off ebay to mess about with.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube