On my Standard Strat the frets higher than the 12th fret are severely out of tune (flat I think). Is this fret ware, or do I need to adjust my bridge so it isn't so outta tune?
Your intonation is off. Check the tuning at the 12th fret compared to the open string, and adjust the saddles at the bridge for each string until they are in tune.
SETTING INTONATION:
Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar to pitch.
One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.
If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same.

if you cant get a harmonic, compare the fretted 12th and the open string note

and always retune the open string after every string adjustment.

from icepoint.net

screw #2. and start with a level bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ Use the fretted note, not the harmonic. The harmonic can be found anywhere up to an inch either side of the fret, and will just give you the open string, up an octave. The fretted note will show you how far your intonation is out.

And it's icepoint.com ffr.
Last edited by blue_strat at Sep 7, 2008,
imo, and most setup sites note that the harmonic vs fretted is the way to go.

not open vs fretted, if that's what your saying.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^ Yeah, just not open vs harmonic, cos they'll always be in tune with each other.
ok, so when I turn the screw the guitar pitch changes. thios bad? and how do i know for sure when its in tune?
you tune the open string.

then fret at the 12th. check the tuning there. then adjust the screw, until it's close to in tune.

then you tune the open string again.

do this as many times as needed, until the open strings and the fretted 12th fret notes match.

you know it's in tune when your tuner says it's in tune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62