howdy, i got a RGR320EX (ibanez) with the hated edge 3, and i was wondering would it be possible to replace that sack of shit with the original floyd rose? (with or without d tuna)
thanks,.
edit; with OUT routing the guitar.
Last edited by aaron addicott at Sep 7, 2008,
i've heard that edge IIIs and OFR swap out perfectly
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
"Edge III: swaps with the Original Floyd Rose. Stud rule applies, OFR studs are bigger. Additionally, there is a variation in Edge III routes that prevent the easy swap in some series."

A cookie to the first person to know where i got that from
Quote by Ippon
My buddy pifty.

damn you beat me to it. I wanted that cookie.
/lulz
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by aaron addicott
thanks for the input, but im looking for the body staying like, 100% intact
Go towards the end of http://lawl.net/gtr/trems

There's a lot of controversy going on about which Ibanez trem swaps with what. Some people say one thing, some people say another, and there are contradictory accounts of what fits into which route. One thing is true - Edge III, Edge Pro II, and both varieties of LoTrs are not going to last, and need to be replaced in the long run. Below are the swaps I've done, or saw being done by trustworthy people.

Edge III: swaps with the Original Floyd Rose. Stud rule applies, OFR studs are bigger. Additionally, there is a variation in Edge III routes that prevent the easy swap in some series.
Keep in mind that just because a tremolo fits into your guitar doesn't mean it will work for your guitar. A different bridge might affect the length of the scale, and prevent proper intonation. A different bridge might throw your action off and thus require neck shimming. Lastly, a different bridge (especially a non-Ibanez machine in an Ibanez guitar) will most likely have a different string radius, thanks to the ultra flat necks that Ibanez uses. I personally would rather invest an additional few hundred dollars in a guitar with a good trem than go through the replacement process. RG Prestige series have a number of advantages over the regular series that are well worth the price increase. If you choose to swap, then go ahead, but keep in mind that I wrote this section specifically to discourage you from doing that.

I wish I could buy a guitar with each one of those trems, and try to replace them with other things to give you a firsthand account, but unfortunately I have rent to pay and a cat to feed, and I'm not really interested in stocking indonesian Ibanez junk in my closet for the benefit of humanity. So my advice instead is: DO NOT BUY AN IBANEZ GUITAR WITH A BAD TREM, since there are always better options.