I really hate making ANY threads of this sort, but I feel the need to as of late. Recently I've REALLY become infatuated with C standard, C# standard, Drop B, Drop A# and various other low tunings. Since I like using my Hellraiser for E and Drop D I was thinking of buying another guitar to use strictly for lower tunings.

The first that came to mind would be a Baritone guitar; obviously the extended scale length would mean easier tuning and intonation for lower tunings. Sadly, only one of the baritones on musiciansfriend kind of appealed to me: Schecter C-1 Blackjack EX. Then I remembered Ibanez made a Mike Mushok model awhile ago that was basically an all mahogony SZ. I remember seeing one at a sam ash in great condition for 300 bucks (as opposed to the like 600 or 700 it was new), and I remember playing it and liking how it felt (didn't get to try the sound, the tuning was REALLY messed up and they had no tuner for me to use).

So basically I want to know three things:

A) Would a Baritone guitar even fit the bill?
B) would the Ibanez MMM1 be a guitar for what I want?
- Since most stock Ibanez pickups suck, would a pickup change (I was thinking SD JB and 59) be in order?
C) are there any other guitars that would fit my needs (baritone or otherwise)?

Budget-wise: like under a grand, used it always an option. Since getting a car, I'm like REALLY low on cash, and again since I have no job atm, I'm even MORE strapped for cash. Also, it's not like an immediate purchase, just something I'm going to save up to.

Style: Assorted rock, punk, metal, experimental, progressive, etc etc etc. Band wise (if that helps at all) includes stuff influenced by A Perfect Circle, ISIS, Tool, Carcass, In Flames, Meshuggah, etc etc.

Amp and cab are in the sig, along with the effects I'm hoping to get soon, so if any of that helps at all, there you go.

Thanks!
The Ibanez Iceman or a Jackson Warrior

The ICT700 Iceman or the WRMG Warrior. Those are about $700.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
It isn't a requirement that you have a baritone guitar for low tunings granted you get it properly set up.
Quote by FireandFlames
put the money towards the car so you can get something a little better.

A new guitar can wait.

Nvm, he already has the car.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Last edited by Snake™ at Sep 7, 2008,
just get a regular guitar and set it up for low tunings, a baritone isnt really necessary. i put 11's on my squier and i keep it in either D or Db standard and it feels nice and tight. i guess a baritone would be nice though
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by FireandFlames
put the money towards the car so you can get something a little better.

A new guitar can wait.

Um...I already have the car.

I'm saying i'm strapped since AFTER buying it. Thank god it gets ungodly gas mileage, otherwise i'd be biking everywhere.

But yea,...any thoughts on the guitar situation?

EDIT: I guess I should also mention the Ibanez MMM1 is kind of my main reason for starting the thread. I remember playing it and liking it, but when I played it I had no real need for low tunings. AND it was like 300 bucks in great condition...not sure if they're all like that, but the Sam Ash near me has idiots literally working for them; literally one of them though a Furman power condition was a power amp and tried plugging a JMP-1 into one, then spent 45 minutes trying to figure out why no sound came out of it. I know shit about racks, but I think the power condition thing is kind of an obvious thing.

ANYWAYS, I figured if I can get one of those for around the same price in good condition, change the pickups and set it up, would it be a great guitar for Low Tunings?
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Sep 7, 2008,
Quote by Snake™
Depends on the car.

If it's a 63' Chevy Impala, he should save for it.

If it's a Prius..........the guitar definitely comes first.

Worst reasoning ever
I say go to GC or a local guitar store and try out a bunch of guitars.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
A baritone is only useful is you go below B, imho. but...look into that Schecter baritone, or buy a C7 hellraiser
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
I was looking at a 7 string, but I want to be able to do C#, Drop B, B standard and Drop A. And for some reason, trying to incorporate the low B of the 7 into chords was a little over my head. Plus I've really grown to like B standard for some reason .
Alright, update on the whole idea.

I did some thinking today and looked at the guitars of various bands I like that use various tunings I listed:

- A Perfect Circle use Les Pauls
- ISIS use Telecasters and Les Pauls
- Carcass (used to) use Ibanez
- Queens of the Stone Age use various semi-hollow bodies and some solids
- The Sword use Les Pauls, Explorers, and BC Rich Mockingbirds

None of the groups I listen to use Bari's, and seem to have no problems with intonation or tuning,...actually, a good number use Les Pauls's.

So I rethought my gear plans: I've always loved the shape of the BC Rich Mockingbird, and JD from The Sword uses/used an Exotic Class one as one of his main guitars, and got great sounds from it in C standard with a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, even with super light strings.

Since I love the feel and look of the Mockingbird, I think I'm gunna see about getting that guitar. However, I also REALLY want a Schecter C-1 Plus.

So here's my plan:

- Save up the cash for the Mockingbird
- Keep the mockingbird in E for the time being, and use my Spitfire for C standard/Drop A#.
- Save up more green for the C-1 Plus, but that in E, tune the Mockingbird down to C, and get new pickups for both guitars.

Estimated price: 1850, plus new pickups for the Hellraiser (I'm growing tired of EMGs). >_>

I better start saving!

But yea, does this sound like a good idea?
well i've played the c1-ex in my local guitar store and i thought it was really nice and the store had it on for a pretty good price. they had it in drop b and it felt perfect and really handled the thick strings well, like a baritone should :-P

but yeah i liked the guitar and would purchase it if my band played in lower tunings but unfortunately we don't (not my band so i don't have a say haha).

as for your new idea i can't really comment cause i have no idea dude its up to you ha... a c1-plus is a pretty nice guitar i got to look at one but never got to plug it in but the feel of it was really nice and it has a shorter scale like a les paul if you like that.
yea, I kind of like the shorter scale for some reason; my spitfire has one, and it's a little comfier and I can get harmonics easier off of it (probably just cuz I'm used to it), so I'll probably wind up getting the C-1 Plus; not neccesarily to use for strict down tunings, I'll probably put my Spitfire in C or C# standard. I'm still stuck on what guitar to get to permanently have in a low tuning, but still, I've got time!

Thanks for the responses.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
yea, I kind of like the shorter scale for some reason; my spitfire has one, and it's a little comfier and I can get harmonics easier off of it (probably just cuz I'm used to it), so I'll probably wind up getting the C-1 Plus; not neccesarily to use for strict down tunings, I'll probably put my Spitfire in C or C# standard. I'm still stuck on what guitar to get to permanently have in a low tuning, but still, I've got time!

Thanks for the responses.

My brothers got a C-1 plus, great guitar. A bit more versatile then the Hellraiser I've got I think, but I think EMG's have more crunch, IMO.

Also, C-1 plus's are pretty cheap if you go used, they're $550-600 new, I often see $350-400 plus some goodies on craigslist for them.
Honestly most guitars with set bridges ( Then they the tuning can be adjusted verrry quickly) or a with a floyd rose set up to whatever tuning you want are fine. You don't really need a baritone guitar IMO just buy a regular guitar and make sure it works with drop tunings or set it up for drop tunings. You can drop tune at Guitar Center if you wanted. I've done it. I just tune it back up after I'm done. So you could get a pretty good guitar for not too much and leave it drop tuned. I have a gibby V and I leave that In drop c for the time being.
Quote by KingDev
My brothers got a C-1 plus, great guitar. A bit more versatile then the Hellraiser I've got I think, but I think EMG's have more crunch, IMO.

Also, C-1 plus's are pretty cheap if you go used, they're $550-600 new, I often see $350-400 plus some goodies on craigslist for them.

Oh yea, EMGs have WAAAY more crunch than any other pickups I've ever played, but they have a bit too much crunch for me; I use a ton of dynamics in playing, and constantly roll off the volume knob on my guitar to get semi-cleans, roll up a bit for slightly crunchier sounds, then go full blast, in addition to utilizing my clean channel in a similar matter. If I did straight up metal, I'd be EMGs all the way, but alas, I don't.

And I've looked at craigslist for Schecters and the C-1 Plus' do seem to go between 300 and 400, even the C-1 Classic (or whatever the 750 dollar model is) go for like 400, not much more than that. I'll probably go used then for the C-1 Plus.

BTW, does anyone on here who owns a Tele 72 Deluxe have any experiance downtuning it? I Know Aaron Turner from ISIS uses those, along with the Customs, exclusively for guitars, and they not only sound really punchy and clear hyperdistorted and tuned down uber low, but also sound really clean. So yea, anyone have any experiance with it that way?
Quote by RG_FANMAN

None of the groups I listen to use Bari's, and seem to have no problems with intonation or tuning,...actually, a good number use Les Pauls's.

Yeah, about that, In Flames uses Gibson guitars, which has 24,75'' scale, and tune down to drop-A#.

And it still sounds fantastic. Baritones are overrated, imho.

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Haha, yea I kinda realized that....unless you're doing like uber brutal standard and going down to G or something (I forget what group does that, but it's some black metal group).
I think Ion Dissonance go down to G-standard or Drop-G or something

and...I don't know any other band in Drop-G...

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
I want to get sometimes with like a 24 inch speaker, and a six string baritone bass tuned to C# F# B E A D

But, you'll probably have to get high gauge strings, and a set up. after that the guitar probably wont matter much as far as type.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
A baritone isn't required but the longer scale should make the sound crisper than the sound of a 24 and 3/4ths scale. It can still be done. I tuned my Gibson ES-137 to C# without doing any setup and it was fine, apart from a little buzz on the low E.

I'd get a baritone anyways but I don't have a reason. I would 'cause I could.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.