When i use my pinky on the btm strings, i dont have a problem, but when learning this riff...

|---------------------------|
|--------------------7------|
|--------5-----8-----------|
|-8--8-----8-----8----8--|

So im using my pinky all the 8's, and im finding my pinky is starting to hurt, is using a pinky a bad idea? should i just use my 3rd finger? is the pain a really bad sign or is it just my finger getting stronger? is having a strong pinky really important?

Is it because my pinky is really flat when streching up to the top string rather then arched like my other fingers? how should i be using it?

yeah... any advice is much appreciated
personally, i would use your ring finger, as it's difficult to stretch all the way to the low E string. that being said, the pain very well could be just from using your muscles in a way you haven't before, just like working out normally. try it for a week or two, and if it doesn't hurt, you're fine. if it starts to really hurt at any time, stop.
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
So using my ring finger is not a sin? its acceptable to not use my pinky on the upper strings?
Quote by yomoma21
i would use your pinky, you should build calluses up on it

its not about calluses, its about the muscle pain, none of my fingers seem to get them and the tips of my fingers never hurt

This is purely about the muscle pain
Yeah a strong little finger is very important. That'a a problem i had a while ago because i hardly used it so the other three were a lot stronger. But when I learnt harder songs where I had to stretch a bit I had to strengthen up my little finger.

To strengthen your little finger do some repetitive hammer-ons and pull-offs with just your little finger and some chromatic scales to even up the strength over all fingers.

Chromatic scale example if you didn't already know (E Chromatic)

E|------------------------0-|
B|--------------------1234--|
G|---------------01234------|
D|----------01234-----------|
A|-----01234----------------|
E|01234---------------------|

And then go back down the same notes

As for the pain, it could be using your muscles differently like Slaiv said but I'm not really sure. Exercises should help though.
Quote by Anson93
Yeah a strong little finger is very important. That'a a problem i had a while ago because i hardly used it so the other three were a lot stronger. But when I learnt harder songs where I had to stretch a bit I had to strengthen up my little finger.

To strengthen your little finger do some repetitive hammer-ons and pull-offs with just your little finger and some chromatic scales to even up the strength over all fingers.

Chromatic scale example if you didn't already know (E Chromatic)

E|------------------------0-|
B|--------------------1234--|
G|---------------01234------|
D|----------01234-----------|
A|-----01234----------------|
E|01234---------------------|

And then go back down the same notes

As for the pain, it could be using your muscles differently like Slaiv said but I'm not really sure. Exercises should help though.

thankyou