Greetings fellow bass forumers.

I recently joined a prog rock/metal band and I’m looking for some stand out or key prog albums or albums where you think the bass is worth taking note of.

When it comes to prog I’m really only familiar with Opeth, Dream Threater and Rush. Dream Threater and Rush are also two big influences on the guitarist and drummer.

We’re not worrying with covers and going straight into writing originals so I’m really looking for good examples of bass and any tips you lot would care to throw my way.

Cheers.
hmm. with Prog, I like to use bits of jazz to mix it up. especially fusion. pump some Pat Methany and Weather Report before you write a bassline, it'll help.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The thing about prog is that it kinda takes stuff from a lot of different areas, so the best advice I can think of is to listen to anything and everything, really, and mix it all up.

Yeah I noticed that, it's why I'm looking for some direction.

But you're spot on with the different areas and mix it up bit. The first bass line I’ve done for one of the songs is like a mix of Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden but still fits really well.
Early genesis, and hey, while you're at it you should listen to some later genesis as well.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
King Crimson. They've had some of the best bass players in prog--Greg Lake, Tony Levin, John Wetton.

Check out Discipline, which has one of my favourite bass cuts Thela hun Ginjeet. Also check out Court of the Crimson King--I love "21st Century Schizoid man", it has a great bass line.

Also check out Van der Graaf Generator. Their stuff tends to be quite dark, but its great and kind of off the beaten track.
cough

Emerson Lake & Palmer by Emerson Lake & Palmer (Greg Lake, perfect prog bassist)
Tarkus by Emerson Lake & Palmer
Brain Salad Surgery by ELP
Trilogy by ELP
Images & Words by Dream Theater (John Myung, I feel DTs best record)
Ænima by Tool (Justin Chancellor, modern prog)
Lateralus by Tool (JC again, very good prog)
Still Life by Opeth (Martin Mendez, mostly metal)
Watershed by Opeth (MM again, more proggy)
2112 by Rush (GL, very hard rock and progressive)
Fly by Night by Rush (GL, hard rock / progressive)
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden (Steve Harris, flowing composition + concept album)
In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson (Greg Lake, the first prog album eva)
Lizard by King Crimson (George Haskell, jazzy prog)
Larks Tongues in Aspic by KC (John Whetton, my fav prog bassist)
Starless & Bible Black by KC (JW, very good record)
Red by KC (JW, metal prog)
The Yes Album by Yes (Chris Squier, more hard rockish, but more prog than Rush)
Fragile by Yes (CS)
Closer to the Edge by Yes (CS)
Relayer by Yes (CS)
Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull
Camel by Camel
Moonmadness by Camel
Destroy Erase Improve by Meshuggah

/cough

Album recs...

Really be sure to check out ELP and King Crimson though, they pretty much defined prog.

EDIT: put in the bass players I remember, if you would like, I could narrow things down to 10 essential prog songs.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Last edited by progbass at Sep 7, 2008,
Check out Symphony X. Their bassist definitely knows how to fit in with distorted guitar riffs.

Look at the song Sea of Lies.

I would also check out Return to Forever. Stanley Clarke, needless to say, is an amazing bassist.
marillion, genesis, porcupine tree, transatlantic, neal morse, spock's beard, symphony x (really heavy :P), circus maximus, yes, Iron Maiden (seventh son and last two albums), pink floyd, camel, metallica (old stuff), tool, a perfect circle, ayreon, nightwish, liquid tensions experiment, led zeppelin, muse etc.

not saying that these bands are all prog, but they sure come close or are very good roots for you to have

edit: almost forget the who
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Sep 8, 2008,
Coheed and Cambria is a nice touch. Although, they do have a slightly more poppish sound from time to time. Also, stir in some Mars Volta.

EDIT: Oh, and I can't let this go...
Quote by progbass
Ænima by Tool (Justin Chancellor, modern prog)

It was Paul D'Amor on Aenima.
Why do people always forget about Jethro Tull? they're one of my favorite band and they have a really great bassist.
Listen to Aqualung and Thick As A Brick (if you're up for it :P).
Plus, listen to everything. And I -mean- everything. Not just rock and metal. Jazz, Funk, Classical (Yes, I know classical scarcely has a bass guitar, but it dosen't matter) and pretty much any genre you can think of.

I'll also repeat the advice already given - King Crimson has amazing basslines. You have to check them out.

Good luck.
Quote by Shaharz
Why do people always forget about Jethro Tull? they're one of my favorite band and they have a really great bassist.
Listen to Aqualung and Thick As A Brick (if you're up for it :P).
Plus, listen to everything. And I -mean- everything. Not just rock and metal. Jazz, Funk, Classical (Yes, I know classical scarcely has a bass guitar, but it dosen't matter) and pretty much any genre you can think of.

I'll also repeat the advice already given - King Crimson has amazing basslines. You have to check them out.

Good luck.

yeah forgot those too
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Really? Noone said Between the Buried And Me? Shame...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by goest
It was Paul D'Amor on Aenima.

No, it wasn't
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Yeah, it was

EDIT: GOD DAMMIT....I was under the impression that he'd joined for Lateralus. Guess I look like a major dick, don't I?
Protest The Hero for taps!
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
Quote by goest
Yeah, it was

EDIT: GOD DAMMIT....I was under the impression that he'd joined for Lateralus. Guess I look like a major dick, don't I?

Not too much, I knew someone else would catch it. To be fair, he left DURING Ænima, they had like, 3 songs recorded, and just had Chancellor re-record 'em when he arrived.

@ Anarkee : How could I? My heart weeps.... oh I also didn't add Gentle Giant or Uriah Heep.....

Top 10 Prog Songs to Learn on Bass
In my opinion....

1. Lateralus by Tool - Why learn this? Well, rocking song, changes meters ALOT, and is around 9 some odd minutes. Progressive? yep. I would rate it a 8/10

2. Metropolis pt. 1 (Miracle and Sleeper) by Dream Theater. - Featuring a tapping bass solo, this song focuses more on mastery of the instrument as well as blending into the pocket with a drummer for a sick proggy instrumental section. 9/10

3. 21st Century Schizoid Man by King Crimson - The song that really started the whole prog movement (In the Court, 1969), featuring a crushing C pentatonic riff that emphasizes the off beat during the verse, and with an amazing instrumental section that has stop and go antics later adapted by many prog bands. 10/10

4. Yours Is No Disgrace by Yes - Chris Squier does an amazing job of holding the rhythm down in a rock / prog outfit. His bass lines are like muscle and sinew that pulse in between the skin like guitar lines of Steve Howe and Jon Anderson. Plus his tone is amazing. The song itself is a nice rocky prog song about Vietnam, and is pretty long, and fun to play, although not terribly complicated. 7/10

5. The Drapery Falls by Opeth - Sprawling song that is recently being used as an encore. The intro has a nice bassline that moves between a Cminor+9 and Bbm+9. Although there is no bass in the verse, the cossack section and metal parts more than make up for this fun song (and heavy to boot!). 8/10

6. Freewill by Rush - many will probably criticize this choice for it not being YYZ, but I feel that Freewill encompasses more tools to utilize, such as the main riff being in F lydian, as well as the style changes within the song. 7/10

7. Red by King Crimson - A nice groovin' instrumental that you can really take space and incorporate your own fills. 8/10

8. The Grudge by Tool - A great "Tool" to use to understand polymeters. Need a delay though for the full effect. Plus its a tightly arranged song. 7/10

9. Para Oriente by Trio of Doom (Jaco + John McLaughlin) a great Jazz fusion song that parallels progressive rock. Plus its Jaco, he has good phrasing. 7/10

10. Never Let Go by Camel - A beautiful song, and even though Peter does a great job on bass, you can really incorporate your own melodic ideas and still sound great. 8/10
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Check out Fair to Midland. I play with a progressive feel, and I take bits and pieces from just about every genre. Some big ones that I found to help with writing stand out bass lines are Iron Maiden and Protest the Hero. Tool is a good one to listen to also.