Howdy all,

I'm not sure where this belongs so I posted it here.

Are there any economical ways to increase the sound proofing in a room? I'm not looking for a "cone of silence" but I'd like to reduce my output beyond my four walls. Basically, I play in a small spare bedroom with one exterior wall (I'm not worried about the sound through the interior walls). The exterior wall has a has a 5'X5' window. Is there anything I can do to reduce how much sounds leaks outside?

Thanks!
There was a thread about this like yesterday.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
^ Don't those egg-crate style mattresses work as well?
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Egg cartons actually work. But I suggest you cover all your walls with asbestos, as well as inside of them.
Quote by Iceman 420
Egg cartons actually work. But I suggest you cover all your walls with asbestos, as well as inside of them.

It's because the shape of the egg cartons dissipates the sound, or something like that. As for the asbestos... BAD IDEA! I think the band room at my school had asbestos. We were in it while they were removing it, so we had to go through a weird tunnel to get to the band room.

Egg cartons would be a cheap and easy solution if you eat eggs, and you could just save up the cartons, maybe ask your friends and neighbors to save them up and you could take them off their hands.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
You need as much mass as possible blocking the window. Egg crates just scatter sound at best
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
foam padding is good, like in studios
18x18 squares of it in varying patterns
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Studios don't really use that stuff for soundproofing^ Their soundproofing comes from building a room within a room that is isolated from the ground.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by yeahyeah
Studios don't really use that stuff for soundproofing^ Their soundproofing comes from building a room within a room that is isolated from the ground.

maybe in california, a real state, but in the lovable sh** hole we call North carolina, most studios are old buildings thatve been converted, or home studios
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Why is everyone so worried about sound proofing?? If people are complaining about noise simply tell them to **** off, crank the volume a tad more, and continue playing!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Why is everyone so worried about sound proofing?? If people are complaining about noise simply tell them to **** off, crank the volume a tad more, and continue playing!

Seriously, this is rock and roll.

And in most cities you can pretty much make as much noise as you want as long as you stop before 9 or 10. Double check the noise ordinance in your town, and if it gives you the right to play loudly then go for it.
Quote by CowsWithGuns