Hey all, I've been messing around with different pedals and amp heads to try to achieve a kinda of Iron Maiden tone that they used on such albums as, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and Somewhere back in time.

There just seems to be something more to it then i can hear, any help would be much appreciated.
Well they have multiple guitarists (3 now) that often harmonize so you might be hearing a low harmonization in the mix. Also the recording equipment definitely comes into play, recording equipment was different back then from how it is now so it's gonna sound different.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
I have a jhonson Strat, Stock, and a Epiphone Les Paul stock. Running them through a Mesa Single Rectoverb head and a MArshall 4x12. I have a a few different pedals/effects that I'm using. Ibanez TS9, Digitech DD-3, and a Digitech RP-80 multi processor.
Last edited by Shattyfattmas at Dec 17, 2008,
Fender American Strat with Seymour Duncan hotrails and a Marshall jcm will get you there
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
Eh, do the marshalls really make that much of a difference? I've tried a few, jcm being one of them and I found the tone to be muddy, and not what i wanted at all.
I just checked out their wiki and it says their lead guitarist uses Marshall DSL100 tube heads with marshall cabs, and the other guitarist also uses marshalls. They also both use strats the lead using hotrails. But like i said I doubt you'll ever get the exact sound because the recording probably adds some vintage sound to it. And also if you got a muddy tone out of the JCM maybe you had the volume to low?
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
Adrian Smith uses DiMarzio Super Distortion Humbucker in the bridge of his Jackson, with SRV and Duncan Jazz single coil pickups. Dave Murray uses SD hotrails in his american strat...both use Marshall JCM800 (not reissues) on those 80s albums, and i think still to this day.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
^I believe they use marshall preamps and poweramps live now, but in the studio they may well still use JCM800s.

TS, you probably want a fairly hot bridge pup and a tubescreamer running into a cranked jcm800. I would think that would get you a decent maiden tone. That mesa is probably gonna be too american sounding and scooped to get a maiden tone.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
apparently, Dave uses JVM heads live now. There was an interview on UG a while back.

For earlier albums, most likely you want a jcm 800 and a Super Distortion bridge humbucker...
But just play with your controls. You'll get it.

Try...
treble = 7
mid = 7 or 8
bass = 5
pres = change to suit

something like that should get you fairly close. Set your tubescreamer to gain=0, tone=middle (neutral) and level=neutral. Now it's acting as a very small boost, and you get the TS mid boost.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
To get the 7th son sound, you will have to dig alot of stuff. Because Iron Maiden started to experiment alot with guitarsynths and effects back then, and that made their mid 80's sound different from the other albums. To nail that sound, you should try to contact Iron Maiden and ask them, or you should try out a whole lot of gear.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
To get the 7th son sound, you will have to dig alot of stuff. Because Iron Maiden started to experiment alot with guitarsynths and effects back then, and that made their mid 80's sound different from the other albums. To nail that sound, you should try to contact Iron Maiden and ask them, or you should try out a whole lot of gear.

Spot on...7th son in particular is chock full of synth sounds, you're going to struggle to replicate or even approximate them with conventional gear.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i think you should be able to get fairly close with what you have, just put a hot rails pu in the bridge of your strat
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.