Page 1 of 2
If you are Asian or is someone who buys and eats rice regularly, you should know that the price of rice has gone up exorbitantly. A 10 lb. Sona Masoori rice that cost $8 a year ago now costs $25, and long grain rice has seen a two-fold increase in price.

I've read that this increase was due to extreme hoarding from quite a few people who freaked out and hoarded when the price of rice went up a bit.

It probably doesn't affect a lot of you, but it's still related to the increase of oil prices and the global markets suffering from it.

Your thoughts and opinions about the rice market and the general food industry/raise in prices...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I...I don't care.
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
Does this mean the price of Chinese takeout will increase?

Damn.

It's already high enough having it shipped up here.
i work it a grocery store, and ive noticed a lot of things getting more expensive. people are always complaining about how expensive things are getting.
damn...me being the filipino beast i am, consume rice...every...freakin'...day... hell i had some like 2 hours ago...this is unfortunate
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
im glad. food is always better when you pay more for it!
-GEAR-

-Ibanez SZ520
-Fender Standard Mexican Tele
-Specter Legend 4 Bass
AMPS
-Crate GLX212
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Fender BLX 220
the only possible advantage i see is that the people that eat too much and are overweight might not eat as much since they cant afford the food.
Quote by Vader, Darth
Does this mean the price of Chinese takeout will increase?

Damn.

It's already high enough having it shipped up here.

You don't just kill the delivery boy and take the food? Vader, I'm disappointed

I work at a grocery store as well, and both of my grandfathers are farmers, so here is what I know.

High gas prices=search for alternative fuel, that being Ethanol from corn. With the high demand for ethanol, corn is in higher demand. Since corn is in higher demand, more farmers are planting corn. But that corn needs somewhere to be planted, so other fruits and vegetables are not being planted or are being removed (lower supply, higher price) to make room for corn (becoming more profitable due to the demand)

Because of the price in corn going up, the feed for livestock has received a price jump (because it's primarily from corn). The price of feed means that beef and poultry are more expensive, as are milk and eggs. Because it's more expensive to own and feed livestock, manure is now more expensive.

Because manure is more expensive, it costs more for farmers to fertilize and manage crops, raising the price of produce even more!

You can see where this is going...
Last edited by dudius at Sep 7, 2008,
yes global food prices are increasing, well bloody done for noticing

lower supplies+increased price of oil x free market speculation = high food prices causing the third world even more problems
Quote by daytripper75
i work it a grocery store, and ive noticed a lot of things getting more expensive. people are always complaining about how expensive things are getting.

Well, I'm sure you've read about the relationship between corn and oil... and since our junk food industry is SO dependent on corn, it is natural that an increase in oil prices show a direct correspondence in the increase of junk-food prices. Stuff like fruit and vegetables, I think, haven't really shown THAT big of a price-increase.

Quote by TheMatches11
im glad. food is always better when you pay more for it!

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
At the store I work in, we're pretty much constantly changing the labels.
It's pretty funny when they complain about how high food prices are, yet don't do anything about it.
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
Quote by daytripper75

same with me i hate when people complain about stuff cause i don't give a ****
Its just a chance for more money when one product is actually declined in production.
Everyone else claims that shortage of the product affects them.
I hate how everything is going up. I work at a buffet, Old Country Buffet to be specific, and the price is almost $12 just for the buffet. Hardly anyone comes in and they always complain about the price. It won't be long until we go out of business.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Stuff like fruit and vegetables, I think, haven't really shown THAT big of a price-increase.

go to the third world and tell them that, we take most of their fruit (since we can't grow it) and they are left to buy and sell the little that remains
It's called inflation and it never goes away
I was at the chiropractor's a couple days ago. We're talking, and he asks me what kind of music I listen to. Turns out my chiropractor is a huge Overkill fan.

Hopefully he won't wreck your neck
Well, Darkstar. As you know, I'm now in college living on my own, which means making my own food however I want....

I am ecstatic that I won't have eat rice for many many many months. I hhhaaaaattteee rice.

However, I am sad that I spent $60 on groceries today. I didn't know things cost that much. But hopefully it'll be cheaper as time goes on because right now I'm buying things such as spices/condiments/etc, which I won't have to buy every time later on.

Oh and actually I did buy a box of rice today...but I plan on using that as something to put in soups, rather than to eat it as a main filler. It was like 3 dollars. This better be worth it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, Darkstar. As you know, I'm now in college living on my own, which means making my own food however I want....

I am ecstatic that I won't have eat rice for many many many months. I hhhaaaaattteee rice.

However, I am sad that I spent $60 on groceries today. I didn't know things cost that much. But hopefully it'll be cheaper as time goes on because right now I'm buying things such as spices/condiments/etc, which I won't have to buy every time later on.

Oh and actually I did buy a box of rice today...but I plan on using that as something to put in soups, rather than to eat it as a main filler. It was like 3 dollars. This better be worth it.

It definitely helps that I am vegetarian, since I dodge the cost of expensive meats that my roommates incur.

But I'm assuming you were raised eating boatloads of rice... and you won't miss it the first few weeks, but you'll come running back to it. Rice is a staple in my household and I didn't eat much rice when I moved out at first, but within a month or two, I would cook rice-related dishes four to five nights of the week... and I still do.

As for saving on groceries, I only buy stuff that's on sale, and go for the grocery-store-brand stuff rather than the commercial brand. Other than that, I don't buy stuff I don't need and I don't waste food at all.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by bobby_splax
damn...me being the filipino beast i am, consume rice...every...freakin'...day... hell i had some like 2 hours ago...this is unfortunate

+1 to that i just ate some right now, In fact I have a grain of rice in my hair.
Quote by darkstar2466
It definitely helps that I am vegetarian, since I dodge the cost of expensive meats that my roommates incur.

But I'm assuming you were raised eating boatloads of rice... and you won't miss it the first few weeks, but you'll come running back to it. Rice is a staple in my household and I didn't eat much rice when I moved out at first, but within a month or two, I would cook rice-related dishes four to five nights of the week... and I still do.

As for saving on groceries, I only buy stuff that's on sale, and go for the grocery-store-brand stuff rather than the commercial brand. Other than that, I don't buy stuff I don't need and I don't waste food at all.

Well, I bet you $50 I won't miss it at all. I'm much more of a noodles person, you see.

And yea...damn meat is expensive. I got a savings card though and I bought all the starters, which made up the majority of the $60. So now I should only have to spend about $20 on meat/veggies/fruits every week more or less.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by bobby_splax

Yeah, it's a rare day when rice isn't in one of my meals.
Quote by Xiaoxi

You're not a tr00 Asian then.
Quote by dudius
You don't just kill the delivery boy and take the food? Vader, I'm disappointed

Yeah, that was my original plan, after about the 5th delivery boy, they made me start a line of credit and just send the meals up through a small space pod. They say if I take anymore related actions they will blacklist me and send my name to all the Chinese food places across the world.

I wanted to annihilate them, but, damn, I love that General Tso's Chicken.

I love rice
I need to find a way to cook it more efficiently though
(time / attention wise)

I massage twice
rinse a few more
add some water
boil out water
steam

hmm
it turns out great though
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by InvaderTSN
You're not a tr00 Asian then.

Don't judge...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Vader, Darth
Yeah, that was my original plan, after about the 5th delivery boy, they made me start a line of credit and just send the meals up through a small space pod. They say if I take anymore related actions they will blacklist me and send my name to all the Chinese food places across the world.

I wanted to annihilate them, but, damn, I love that General Tso's Chicken.

You've redeemed yourself
Quote by Xiaoxi
Don't judge...

I'll bet you don't carry a graphing calculator in your pocket, know all the numbers of Pi, and talk with a heavy Chinese accent on a daily basis either. Your life is a sham!
Quote by InvaderTSN
I'll bet you don't carry a graphing calculator in your pocket, know all the numbers of Pi, and talk with a heavy Chinese accent on a daily basis either. Your life is a sham!

You caught me...

I hope you're happy! Life ruiner!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yeah, you're no longer very Asian to us Xiao. Might as well get an American-friendly name like "John" now.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
*grabs chopsticks and wears a rice farmer hat*

NO! I can still be Asian! You'll see!! You'll see!!!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by darkstar2466
Yeah, you're no longer very Asian to us Xiao. Might as well get an American-friendly name like "John" now.

He will no longer have access to Asian restaurants, which means he can no longer have chow mein or pho.
Oh em gee liek u guiz stop e-bulyin me.

nao i feel 4 dat oter guy.

Seriously though...don't joke about pho. I need my fix.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Ethanol fuel, worst thing that could have happened, made the price of everything go up.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by Xiaoxi
Oh em gee liek u guiz stop e-bulyin me.

nao i feel 4 dat oter guy.

Seriously though...don't joke about pho. I need my fix.

NO PHO 4 U!
Quote by InvaderTSN
NO PHO 4 U!

OMG FAG!!!! Y??

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
srsly guise, Pho is the best thing to happen to mah mouth.

Too bad there's only one [crappy] place that offers vegetarian Pho where I go to college.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Page 1 of 2