12 50%
Epi Valve jr
4 17%
Peavey Valve King
8 33%
Voters: 24.
Read Before Voting!

First tube amp!

I've decided instead of buying pedals to improve a shit tone, I'm going to buy a new amp and sell the old one and stick the cash I get from that into an OD pedal.

Now I play many genres so a somewhat versatile amp is needed. I play clean stuff so a somewhat decent clean tone. I would like crunchy rock tones as well...

Heres the hard part. I would like it to do Thrash and metal but i know if i'm going to have to put out a lot of money to get something that can do good cleans, good crunch and br00tal metal tones.

If i get a high gain OD and an EQ pedal will that help me get something a bit heavier?

Price is also an issue. I cant spend more that hmmm... Lets say $800 AUD.

Remember, there is a pretty big price difference between the valve king and the Blackheart/Epi amps...
Last edited by Final !mpact at Sep 7, 2008,
Save your money and get an Orange Rockerverb 50. The most amazing cleans ever and it has the most gain i have ever heard in a amp. I get a jcmish high gain with the knob only at 5-6.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
You can get a nice crate v33-212 for 250 at guitar centers website, much better tone than the valveking in my opinion and it'll be cheaper, out of your choices I'd say the blackheart or the valveking though depending on how much volume you need
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
none of those. peavey classic 30! with an eq and overdrive or distortion, you'll be able to get as heavy as you want. with JUST a distortion i get really nice hardcore and metal tones, with a good EQ i could probably get even better. plus, it's quite cheap, you can snag one easy for $400 US. the extra cash could be put into a bunch of pedals or guitar upgrades, and you'll be quite happy. it's a really nice, versatile machine. and cheap!
i play noisy hardcore in the vein of coalesce interrupted by lots of isis-esque riffage and ambience, with a healthy dose of screamo dynamics ala funeral diner. it even sounds good sometimes!
Orange amps eh? Well the only way for me to make enough money to buy one here in Australia would be to sell all my internal organs...
I say get the Valveking. Suits me just fine for my purposes... Later on you can get a Bad Monkey overdrive for your metal needs. The equalizer will be very useful to remove muddiness, so I think you should be fine.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Final !mpact
Orange amps eh? Well the only way for me to make enough money to buy one here in Australia would be to sell all my internal organs...

im in a similar position to you and a Laney VC30 or VC15 may be your best bet

or a Peavey classic 30 but they're a bit more
Blackheart it is then.

I'm going to the store on the weekend to try them out. I don't intend on buying yet 'Cuz i cant afford it yet but i would like to know what it is that im saving for.