I have two small dilemmas:

Buying a new amp

Considering a cheap acoustic

I can either order an amp or buy one from Guitar Center. My choices are a 300w Ashdown or whatever I can find at GC. (GK or Ampeg mostly likely) My budget is 3 to 400$, 500 if it's really worth it. I would like your opinions on this.

I also wouldn't mind an acoustic bass because I really enjoy playing unplugged with my friends or just by myself. I have an acoustic guitar but I prefer playing bass with my friends. I would spend 2 to 300$ on the bass. I wouldn't mind if it had pickups in case it isn't very loud. Suggestions?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
My two cents: Don't waste time with a cheap acoustic, many of us have tried it and been pretty consistantly disappointed. I just sold mine about a month ago after a year of it accumulating dust. An acoustic bass just can't keep up volume-wise, with acoustic guitars, you won't even be able to hear yourself playing with your friends unplugged. Just get a super portable amp like a pignose hog or something, and use a regular electric bass with it.

If I have to buy from a big chain, I do it online with free shipping so that I don't have to pay tax. I only buy locally when it is to support a small shop (that sure doesn't include GC). So I say go online. Around the bass forum, most will say not to buy a low-end ampeg and go the ashdown route instead. Personally I agree and think both the low-end ampegs and the low-end GKs sound pretty bad, and the ampegs are underpowered. Of course tone is subjective, so try them out at GC and see what you like, then buy online.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
My two cents: Don't waste time with a cheap acoustic, many of us have tried it and been pretty consistantly disappointed. I just sold mine about a month ago after a year of it accumulating dust. An acoustic bass just can't keep up volume-wise, with acoustic guitars, you won't even be able to hear yourself playing with your friends unplugged. Just get a super portable amp like a pignose hog or something, and use a regular electric bass with it.

If I have to buy from a big chain, I do it online with free shipping so that I don't have to pay tax. I only buy locally when it is to support a small shop (that sure doesn't include GC). So I say go online. Around the bass forum, most will say not to buy a low-end ampeg and go the ashdown route instead. Personally I agree and think both the low-end ampegs and the low-end GKs sound pretty bad, and the ampegs are underpowered. Of course tone is subjective, so try them out at GC and see what you like, then buy online.

The only reason I wanted the bass was for the portability and being able to beat the shit out of it. We usually have at least one guitar on our band's bus trips but no basses. I tried a few out at GC and they were quiet but not terribly bad. If they're going to be absolutely terrible then I won't bother unless I find a good one.

I've played some GK's at GC with my bass and they sounded pretty damn good but I'm starting to lean towards the Ashdown. Buying it at the store would be more convenient and I could find what I wanted and make sure it did what I wanted.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger

I've played some GK's at GC with my bass and they sounded pretty damn good but I'm starting to lean towards the Ashdown. Buying it at the store would be more convenient and I could find what I wanted and make sure it did what I wanted.

I bet $500 could get you into decent GK territory, saddly not new ampeg. My suggestion is just to steer clear of anything labled backline/goldline unless it just happens to be right up your alley.

And if you happen to have a beater bass already, I think you can still manage the portability/ beatupableness factor with a pignose bass/keyboard amp. They are dirt cheap and the batteries supposedly last a good while.
Wouldn't be the same as an acoustic.

I had heard the the Backline series wasn't so good and have always been weary of them. I was ignorant enough to buy a cheap Behringer so I don't want to make the same mistake twice.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Acoustic is cheap and very nice for amps.

and so is Ashdown.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom