Hi, i was just wondering what the metal piece seen on these headstocks are? One is a picture of Richie Sambora's custom guitar. anyone know what other kind of strats have the metal thing also? Sorry if this is a really newb question,
Attachments:
f1f6_12.jpg
g.jpg
It's a string retainer bar. You find them on most guitars with floating trems. It makes sure that the strings get to the tuning pegs at the proper angle. It's pretty much a big string tree for all six strings.
i think you are talking about the retaining bar for the strings

they come on floyd rose-equipped models

edit- ack he beat me to it
thanks for the quick reply. what's up with the thing where the nut should be? unless that's what you're talking about.
That is a locking nut for the strings so it stays in tune much better when you use the tremolo.
That's just the nut that comes on guitars with floating trems because you have to lock the strings down in place. Neither picture has it, but usually there are little metal pieces screwed in on top of the strings right there.

EDIT: I have a picture handy...

Last edited by T!AN at Sep 7, 2008,
thank you very much. i was just trying to figure out this guitar by the picture of it and to see if it was a good deal. it's a fender strat for $100. i guess it's a good deal, so i might jump on it. i am familiar with acoustics, but not electronics...thanks!
dude, sounds like a scam.

custom sambora guitar for $100? do more research on it.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
it's not a custom sambora, i was just using that picture as an example. the other headstock is the headstock of the guitar i am talking about. it just lists it as a fender strat. it looks like it says MIM.
the ad just says that it was her late husbands guitar. i was actually wondering if there's some way to tell if it's a real fender, instead of a squier or something with a fender neck. any tell tale signs of a fake to look out for?

i also read somewhere that strats that have no truss rod hole on the headstock are either made in the 50's-70s, is that correct?

here's another pic. no it doesn't look like the one you listed, the pickups are all single.
Attachments:
h.jpg
Last edited by snobdrblinkchik at Sep 7, 2008,
Ohh... this looks like a case of someone selling something they know nothing about. "Late husband" means the original owner is either the sellers dead husband (sorry to be so blunt) or ex-husband, either case the seller probaly just wants to get rid of it.

Those actually look like EMG single which are pretty good. That may actually just be a heavily modified MIA strat, but the trem does look stock. I would jump on that and at lest try it out.

Are there any good pictures of the headstock?
no other pics of the headstock. but if you look at the original picture named "g" it looks like it could say "made in mexico" under Stratocaster. Either way, i've asked to buy it, so hopefully i get it.
Quote by T!AN
Ohh... this looks like a case of someone selling something they know nothing about. "Late husband" means the original owner is either the sellers dead husband (sorry to be so blunt) or ex-husband, either case the seller probaly just wants to get rid of it.

Those actually look like EMG single which are pretty good. That may actually just be a heavily modified MIA strat, but the trem does look stock. I would jump on that and at lest try it out.

Are there any good pictures of the headstock?

im pretty sure those are lace sensors

still great pickups, super nice find.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I would definitely buy that if I found it for $100.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by mikeyElite
im pretty sure those are lace sensors

still great pickups, super nice find.

That was my second guess. You're probably right.