i just bought some of the new ernie ball acoustic strings they sound great and feel even better but they get out of tune so fast im wondering about reasons why this happens

i was thinking maybe because i bout extra light and am using them on a full size guitar but idk
Quote by 69jimifan69
i just bought some of the new ernie ball acoustic strings they sound great and feel even better but they get out of tune so fast im wondering about reasons why this happens

i was thinking maybe because i bout extra light and am using them on a full size guitar but idk

pull on your strings a bit to get them into tune faster.

go to the 12th fret and pull straight up from the fretboard a little. a little less than an inch. tune up your guitar and play for a while. redo these steps a few times and your guitar will be staying tune in a day or two.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
pull on your strings a bit to get them into tune faster.

go to the 12th fret and pull straight up from the fretboard a little. a little less than an inch. tune up your guitar and play for a while. redo these steps a few times and your guitar will be staying tune in a day or two.

'Redo these steps a few times' might just pull your bridge off the guitar! It's dramatic and totally unnecessary.

A workable method sure, but it can sometimes turn out a bit stressful on the bridge. I once saw someone pull the bridge off their guitar with this 'pull up on the string' method. A totally stupid method in my humble opinion even though it might have worked for some, even for years [depending on the guitar and a bit of luck I reckon].

After re-tuning for a couple of days, strings stretch in all by themselves [best method]. If anything, tuning the strings up 1/2 a pitch when first put on and leaving them for a couple of hours will quicken the stretch process and will reduce re-tuning until the strings settle down. If your desperate for strings that won't go out of tune, buy a junk guitar and pre-stretch some sets of strings on it so you can use them on your main guitar when needed.

Unlike tuning up a 1/2 a tone, by pulling up on the strings you have no way of knowing just how much extra pressure your putting on a bridge that was never built for upward pressure and stress. I'd never do it on a quality guitar. In fact I'd never do it on any guitar [maybe on an electric would be OK]!
Last edited by Akabilk at Sep 8, 2008,
just tune, play for a few minute then keep tuning over and over again, it gets annoying but after awhile they'll be fine...BUT, i wouldn't reccomend the "pull on the strings" method because just as akabilk said, it could break your bridge
Pot
Kettle
Black