So I own a Schecter C-1 Classic and I play fast with a light touch. Thing is that my guitar has medium action at best while still being playable. I want some really low action on my guitar while maintaining clarity to my notes (to some extent). Compared to my friends PRS my guitar is much harder to play it seems. Though my neck is fairly thick (think Les Paul) it would be too bad if it wasn't for the action.

Long story short, do you think me bringing it in for a set up would fix my problem? I know if I go ask them personally they will just take my money and may or may not find success. It would cost me like $50 to do this.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
If you like the guitar, yep it's worth it. A professional setup can do amazing things to a guitar.
so uh... really I mean I would love some more advice on this. I know its not your $50 but I'd really rather not throw it away if it won't make a real difference.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
If it has a TOM bridge (and i'm pretty sure it does) just loosen the strings, you don't even have to take them off. Use a small screwdriver on the TOM bridge, it'll be on the side pointing at the bottom of the guitar. There will be a screw for each string saddle thing. That's how you adjust the action.
Quote by HighPotency
If it has a TOM bridge (and i'm pretty sure it does) just loosen the strings, you don't even have to take them off. Use a small screwdriver on the TOM bridge, it'll be on the side pointing at the bottom of the guitar. There will be a screw for each string saddle thing. That's how you adjust the action.

Don't forget to correct the intonation afterwards.
Quote by BrockTandem
Don't forget to correct the intonation afterwards.

theres generally no need to intonate a guitar after lowering the action. Most folk dont have the gear at home to do a proper job of intonation anyway. (strobe or CRO)
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
When I got my guitar I got it setup and it was great.
If you got it second hand it's probably a good idea,just to check that nothing is damaged.
When I first got it,it buzzed really badly but now its doesnt buzz at all.
$50 isn't a huge amount so I say go for.It improves your guitar so much.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
just tell the tech you want low action. they will set it up to your specs, if you tell them what you want.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
^not all techs can do this without buzz. some can't.

anyway, if you want help setting up your guitar then repost and i'll talk you thru it.

if you want to take it in, then don;'t go to a GC unless you're sure there's a good tech working that day.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well I bought my guitar used. Its an '02 and it apparently has not been set up since. Maybe its time?

What should I ask them to do in particularly? I want low action with no fret buzz (or atleast very minimal). I mean this is a very nice guitar so I'm sure they can work wonders with it. So should I just say that? Also I play in Drop C mostly. I have been using Heavy tops Skinny Bottoms but I don't really like them. I love DR strings and right now I'm using 11s. Should I keep this? I think it works fine but its hard to tell with my messed up action. My friend uses 10s for Drop C and they work great but he has a PRS so that might change everything. Also should I tell them I play in drop c? Is that what they will set it too? If they did could I easily tune up without major consequence?

Sorry thats a lot of question haha. But I only ask because they are important to know. I really want to do this now but I just want to be clear on these things first.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Its cool if you all don't want to take the time to help me, I'll stop asking after this.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
tell the tech you want low action with no (minimal) fret buzz (set up with the strings you want) and tell him you play primarily in drop c.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
Its cool if you all don't want to take the time to help me, I'll stop asking after this.

why are you gettin your knickers in a twist??? we ARE helping you.
Quote by hippyheaven1
theres generally no need to intonate a guitar after lowering the action. Most folk dont have the gear at home to do a proper job of intonation anyway. (strobe or CRO)

I've managed to intonate my guitar fairly well with a basic digital tuner.
Quote by BrockTandem

im willing to bet, if you hooked it up to a cathode ray oscilliscope or a strobe... it will still be miles out.
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS

i told you, if you want help setting up the guitar then ask.

if you want a tech to do it, then just say what JLT73 said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by BrockTandem

Same here.

If you need help with it, ask me, or any of us. We know shit. <3
http://www.youtube.com/user/w0nk001

1977 Gibson SG

Line 6 Toneport UX2

Peavey EVH 5150

Quote by poidaobi;8303134
Fiddy Juan Fiddy
Dual Rectumfrier Too Chaaan

Had an ENGRUL Powerlawl and a Fraymus Co-Bra.