non strat/super strat style body
24 frets
fixed bridge or OFR
good hardware
Body and neck binding is always a plus
no active pickups
set/neck thru/ or bolt on (must have goooodddd upper fret acess)

i was looking at jackson RR24, ESP/LTD ec500/1000delux, B.C Rich Mockingbird (not sure on model), and LTD Alexi Lahio V 600 (it think)
i will more than likely do a pickup swap on it, so pups dont really matter
budget under 1000
i play metal/metalcore/deathcoreish stuff.

suggestions?
what about what i listed
?
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
The RR24 has and EMG81 active pickup, and is over your budget, and I wouldn't choose the Alexi 600 because it's got only one pickup which doesn't offer versatility. The EC-1000 is way over your budget and it also has active pickups, and same for the EC-500. If you're looking into BC Rich then the Mockingbird is a good choice. If you want a hardtail model with 24 frets check out the Calibre Classic , or the the Exotic Classic , or the Masterpiece models. If you like a guitar with a Floyd Rose, coil-tapping and extreme versatility, then check out the ST Mockingbird, however if you tend to change tunings a lot then go for the hardtail models. Go to musiciansfriend.com has the guitars if you like to order one online. But if you're looking to buy a guitar from a shop, it would probably be more expensive.
^ ???

So he shouldn't get the RR24 because it's over his budget, but he also shouldn't get the Alexi 600 because it only has one pickup.... just like the RR24.

And the LTD EC-1000 can easily be found for under $1000 ($840 in fact) and without EMGs (in Amber Sunburst).

Anyway, the LTD would be a good guitar but I'd play it first because it does have decent upper fret access, but it is a single cut guitar.

Also if you don't mind going used, a Jackson RR5 would be a solid choice. The same goes for the RR24.

You may want to give those new Epiphone Prophecies a look too. I'm not a big fan, but some people really like them.

There's probably a Schecter that meets your criteria, but I know nothing about them.
Last edited by T!AN at Sep 8, 2008,
Used RR5, or one of the schecter classics with duncans in I think.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
A used RR5 would be great but he wants 24 frets, I don't think they're necessary though. And the RR24 only has one pickup which doesn't give you a big variety of tones. The pickup it has is active, and he said that he doesn't want an active pickup. About the EC-1000, I wasn't aware it would cost 840$ on musiciansfriend, I expected it to be more expensive considering how much it costs in the shops. And you're right about the upper fret access, it's a little hard to achieve. A Schecter Blackjack would be a great choice if he could find one with passive pickups because now the model has Seymour Duncan Blackouts.
Last edited by Amer91 at Sep 8, 2008,
I know they arent necessary, but if im paying this much for a guitar i want em^

And i know the pups are actice, but i dont mind switching em out, or at leats doing the 18v modd.
The RR24 and Alehxi is over budget, but not by much so i could probley find one used.

the Rich does look good spec wise, but im not sure about quality, as i havent been able to find one to play it.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Man don't pay a lot of money for a guitar you know you're going to mod. BC rich guitars make excellent high-end guitars like the ones suggested, but the low-end guitars are worthless. All the mockingbirds I suggested generally have 24 frets and two passive pickups, so you won't need to change them. I honestly don't think it's worth paying a lot of money for a guitar with only 1 pickup, when you can pay less for a guitar for two pickups. In the end, YOU have to like the guitar you're buying.