The bassist for my current band and I were talking at work today (we both work at a movie theater, that's actually how I met him and joined the band), and it got to the point where we were discussing vocals. He said that he could growl and do backup screaming, but he wouldn't sing because, although he could sing and follow notes and all that, he didn't have a good voice.

This discussion got me to thinking...if you TRULY can sing, does it matter what your voice structure is like?

Discuss.
I think it does. I can sing perfectly to some songs but my when im not singing along with the song it sounds awful.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
what does that last sentence even mean?

you don't need a good voice to be a singer, many bands have singers with horrid voices. take the Sex Pistols.
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
uh... im not sur eif i know exactly what youre asking but.. i think anybody can sing with practice, just not necessarily how you want to be able to. some people will never be able to growl or inward yell or anything without destroying their throat, some people cant hit ball crushing high notes. (rob halford and such are freaks)but anybody can sing, its all practice and confidence. compromise how your voice actually s to what you want to actually want to do, sometimes youll get it just right, sometimes not, maybe better.
i think a lot of music would be much better if people would sing the best how they can sing best instead of trying to be good like someone else is.
pretty much yes. tone quality has a lot to do with everything. for example, i'm sure John Mayer and David Bowie could sing the same song not for note, no fancy stuff. but whose voice would you prefer? that might depend on the song because some people's voices complement a certain song's sound.

the thing is, most people actually could sing well if they were taught how to sing with good tone, though its good to stay in tune too.

Quote by jxmxaxn
I think it does. I can sing perfectly to some songs but my when im not singing along with the song it sounds awful.

music makes it easier to stay in tune fo sho.
I think you just have to have at least one or the other.

There are plenty of vocalists who don't have great voices, but know how to sing well, or at least in key. Then there are those who have good voices and just sort of wing it.
Quote by TOcheesehead
what does that last sentence even mean?

you don't need a good voice to be a singer, many bands have singers with horrid voices. take the Sex Pistols.

Let me give examples.

Three good singers with completely different voice structures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ6FbEmDDcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcsVPis1iNs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6lzeormF9M

Or, if you want to get into horrid voice territory, you've already given a good example.
well,

first things first, a lot of people think they can sing when they're singing along with the radio/a cd, what they don't realize is that all they're doing is harmonizing with the song and as we all know, harmonies sound awesome together, but when separated they are very bland.

This is where the idea of singing backup is relevant, a good singer has perfect pitch and control, thusly they sound awesome... all a back up singer does is hit common harmonies with those pitches, which is hopelessly easy and can sound awesome, but that back up singer my not have the ability ti pitch himself without a guide.

Thus when your bassist says he can't sing lead vocals, he means he doesn't have the vocal control required to pitch by ear or sound excellent alone.

The only difference between singer A and singer B is practice a knowledge.

That said, there is a mountain of band fronted by guys who can't pitch properly and get their voiced auto-tuned and then sound terrible on stage.

So yeah...singing is complex...
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Having a good voice like you're saying is all subjective. Take, for example, Claudio Sanchez of Coheed. I used to hate his voice so much that I couldn't even listen to the band.

But I know a lot of people who actually like his voice.
People are all gonna have different opinions, so I say, if he can hit notes solidly, he should sing.
Just ask him to sing a song ore two it might sound good,to you he might be doubting himself.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.