Hughes and Kettner TriAmp MKII
7 20%
ENGL Powerball
14 40%
Marshall JVM 410H
4 11%
Voters: 35.
Hey All

OK, so here's the situation. I just started a metalcore band, but never got into guitar equipment just the basics. Like pickups = magnet thingy = string sounds.

Guitar: Gibson Explorer with Seymour Duncan Blackouts

Tone looking for: Warm clean tone, High Gain Distortion/Overdrive anything that allows me to get clear notes for chording (for modded chords) and leads. Best example is Misery Signals tone.

I know I am wasting money when I can get something equally as good for cheaper, but its my money and I'll waste the way I want to. Any Suggestions on any equipment would be greatly appreciated!!!!

P.S. IGNORE THE POLL IF YOUR NEW TO THE THREAD!!!!
Last edited by Magik19 at Mar 27, 2009,
Splawn.
If you like more British style voicing, the Splawn Nitro could be up your alley.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
if youre lookin for more versitality and still what you said you were lookin for , go with the marshall, but the Engle is suposedly really nice(never played it but) from what i hear its very nice, and it hsould give you good tone and some versitality but a lot of it will sound the same
The triple recto will give you as much gain and distortion as you want, but that's where the buck stops. Cleans arent that great and you cant get a huge spectrum of tones out of it, just the standard mesa sound. Why the hell would you need a triple? Get a dual, it's the same thing, cheaper, 50 watts less that you don't need.

Anyways, I recommend the H&K Triamp. It will do ANYTHING. Killswitch engage uses them live primarily, just to give you an idea of the sound. Though using EL34's in favor of 6L6's, this gives it a much warmer smooth, creamy distortion, compared to the mesa, which is pretty much scooped, chunky, harsh distortion. It has just as much gain, or nearly as much, it's a fantastic all around amp, but it's price reflects it.. it's a little more expensive than the triple recto. Look up some demo videos on youtube. Those EL34's will also make a huge difference in the cleans and crunch channel. The cleans will be extremely warm, and not glassy like the recto. It is also the sexiest looking amp ever, the blue neon is killer. Get the triamp man!!
O true, You guys are right about the Recto. And I narrowed my choices to either the Dual or the Triamp. Thanks for the help guys!

injected your right the triamp is sexy as hell!!!
Of the two, the triamp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Of the two, the triamp.

+1
I've tried 3 of those amps(not the Marshall), & for what you stated, the clear choice of those would be the H&K. That is one great sounding amp. I had it on my very short list when I was amp shopping a few months ago, but I got a 5150 III instead. Feature-wise, it's very similar to the Triamp Mk II, but I just prefer the voicing (& price!) of the 5150 III.
You should try the 5150 III before you commit a large wad of cash. Just my 2 cents.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Magik19
O true, You guys are right about the Recto. And I narrowed my choices to either the Dual or the Triamp. Thanks for the help guys!

injected your right the triamp is sexy as hell!!!

Of the two, I'd get a Splawn.

Or the Triamp.
I'm not too sure that you would really NEED such a powerful amp..but, it's your money, so: Triamp.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Quote by I Be Andyy
I'm not too sure that you would really NEED such a powerful amp..but, it's your money, so: Triamp.

I don't NEED to drink pepsi, but damn do I enjoy it
Quote by I Be Andyy

Last I checked they didnt make a 1 watt Triamp.. Hell a 1-5 watt amp with that many features doesnt even exist. So how is he going to get something else when he NEEDS the features and tone of something along the lines of a Triamp... Please fill us in I would love to purchase this amp of myth you speak of...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 10, 2008,
Quote by imgooley
I don't NEED to drink pepsi, but damn do I enjoy it

I don't NEED any of my amps, but my guitar sounds like crap without them.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Last I checked they didnt make a 1 watt Triamp.. Hell a 1-5 watt amp with that many features doesnt even exist. So how is he going to get something else when he NEEDS the features and tone of something along the lines of a Triamp... Please fill us in I would love to purchase this amp of myth you speak of...

Who says he needs all the features of the Triamp? He just said he needed a good metal tone with decent cleans. You could find such an amp without buying such a massive amp.

edit: I'm not trying to flame/troll, if I came off that way, sorry.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Last edited by I Be Andyy at Sep 10, 2008,
Quote by I Be Andyy
Who says he needs all the features of the Triamp? He just said he needed a good metal tone with decent cleans. You could find such an amp without buying such a massive amp.

He's in a band.
Quote by I Be Andyy

You're right about being able to find something adequate for cheaper, but like the TS said, he's got plenty of cash, & wants to spend it on an amp ( this just brings tears to my eyes. I love amp shopping!). Now he doesn't have to settle for decent, but can get GREAT metal tones & GREAT clean tones. You know you'd do the same thing if you had the dough !!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Thanks Guys for all the input, As of right now it's down between the Triamp vs. Dual Recto vs. Road King Series II.

The one thing I don't know is how the distortion/overdrive sounds between the Recto and the Road King.

Does anyone have a clue? I really digging the Road King, but I can't hear the difference between the two. Which one has the higher gain?

And yes I know both the Mesa amps are both dual rectifiers. I want to see if I can get any feedback comparing them.
Last edited by Magik19 at Sep 16, 2008,
To be honest the Single Rectifier is where Mesa should have stopped. It sounds MUCH better.

I think (don't quote me if I'm wrong) that the Road King has a more vintage voicing. I'm not 100% sure as I'm not a Mesa guy at all
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Well its been a couple months and I've learned a lot about being a "gear-head" I've completely scratched my original choices and finally decided to get multiple amps. I've decided to waste my pay check on them and start renting them to smaller studio's. So, finally here they are...

Mesa Boogie Road King Series II w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12 Cab and Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2x12 Cab.

Hughes and Kettner Triamp MKII

Framus Cobra

Roland JC-120 Combo

65 Fender Twin Combo
Holy crap, that must've cost alot.
Congrats though.

Oh, and just so you know, Misery Signals used a triple recto for their hi-gain, and a Framus Dragon for their cleans in the studio.

But I think you got more than enough of an arsenal of amps to pull off any tone you want at the moment LOL.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Pics, clips?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Pics, clips?

+9000
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
+9000

asd;kjfnsdkjgnasdkjg

+11000

9+11, coincidence?
███████████████████████████████████
Quote by Magik19
Well its been a couple months and I've learned a lot about being a "gear-head" I've completely scratched my original choices and finally decided to get multiple amps. I've decided to waste my pay check on them and start renting them to smaller studio's. So, finally here they are...

Mesa Boogie Road King Series II w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12 Cab and Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2x12 Cab.

Framus Cobra

Roland JC-120 Combo

65 Fender Twin Combo

Doood! You're teh man. That's a great idea renting out teh amps. I'm going to check into that. Congrats!

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Magik19

Framus Cobra

Roland JC-120 Combo

65 Fender Twin Combo

NAD or it didnt happen
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
piczors?
Lol just don't steal my idea.... jk. I mean I love gear and rigs and all that stuff. I day dream about it all the time. But I actually don't have the funds or the equipment right now, but I plan on getting them if my cash flow is right. And if not I'm still gonna get my RK2 w/ the Recto 4x12 and Lonestar 2x12.

Just think about it.... You get to play on your dream equipment in the studio for your latest recordings and not have to worry about being stuck with what you have or "they" have. You can get any sound you want from your creativity. And the local bands can produce some quality and unique sounds for their demo's. I think it's an idea worth investing in, because I know a drum teacher that lends equipment out daily for between $100-$500. That's easily worth 1/6 of his drum set.

Like how studio's have their own equipment (ie. mic's, preamps, monitors, controllers) I want to do that with guitar/bass equipment and work a partnership with local studios so that they can rent the equipment. You'll probably see a income a year's time at least. A great way to own equipment and get something more out of it than just enjoyment. Your sharing with others the epic-ness of damn good money spent lol.

Ooo... and I didn't put down the pedals and effect processors down lol, but some amps I forgot were the

Peavey 5150/6550

Mesa Mark V

Orange Rockerverb 100w

Orange PPC 412/212

Marshall 1960A/B

All this **** might seem too elaborate for anyone to do but, HELL I CAN DREAM!!!
Last edited by Magik19 at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by Bloodshed
To be honest the Single Rectifier is where Mesa should have stopped. It sounds MUCH better.

I think (don't quote me if I'm wrong) that the Road King has a more vintage voicing. I'm not 100% sure as I'm not a Mesa guy at all

Well the Road King is basically the Mark series of the Rectifiers. It can do vintage voicings to modern metal to country to jazz. It's a very versatile amp, which is why I love it so much. You get the Mesa Recto dirty tone with the Mesa Lonestar cleans.