im sorry im sure this has been asked before but i cant find the answer , what exactly is the difference between acoustic and classical? is it just a playing style?
Classical: nylon strings and neck meets body at 12th fret
Acoustic: steel strings and neck meets body at 15th fret; also, some have cutaways.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Classical: nylon strings and neck meets body at 12th fret
Acoustic: steel strings and neck meets body at 15th fret; also, some have cutaways.

pretty much....not sure about the where the neck meets the body thing but that's probably right. I usualy opt to either say steel string or classical though, because they are both acoustic instruments, just wanted to throw that out there.
first, a classical guitar is an acoustic guitar. an acoustic guitar is not always a classical guitar, though.

a classical guitar typically does have nylon strings and the neck typically does meet the body at the 10th fret.

a steel string guitar neck typically meets the body at the 15th fret.

also, some classical guitars have cutaways.
Quote by jimtaka
first, a classical guitar is an acoustic guitar. an acoustic guitar is not always a classical guitar, though.

a classical guitar typically does have nylon strings and the neck typically does meet the body at the 10th fret.

Wrong , you meant to say 12th fret
A classical guitar is a nylon string guitar designed to be ideal to play classical music on. More ideal than a Nylon string Flamenco guitar or a steel string guitar. However, a lot of classical guitarists can also play classical music on a steel string or a Flamenco guitar. Alternatively you could use a plectrum on a classical guitar to play bluegrass [or any other type of guitar music] but it won't sound as good as on a steel string guitar.

After 10yrs. playing mainly only classical on a classical guitar, I took up the steel string because I became interested in blues and country which sounds better on a steel string. But I can also play that stuff on my classical and play classical music on my steel string guitar etc.

"Classical" just means classical music and if that's a players main music interest, a classical guitar would be a best buy. You can play any type of music on any type of guitar, but horses for courses is the way to go.
Last edited by Akabilk at Sep 19, 2008,
Quote by Akabilk

"Classical" just means classical music and if that's a players main music interest, a classical guitar would be a best buy. You can play any type of music on any type of guitar, but horses for courses is the way to go.

"Classical" refers to the type of construction, NOT the music played on the instrument. The nylon/gut strung instrument has at least 500 years of evolution behind it whereas the modern steel strung instrument came into it's own during the 19th and 20th centuries. Hence the nylon intrument is referred to as the classic design.
Classical guitars also usually have a wider neck due to the playing style.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
classical guitars are supposed to have nylon strings on them, my dad decided to be stupid and put steel strings on one once though, it sounded like a robot raping a printer to say the least.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by R.Christie
"Classical" refers to the type of construction, NOT the music played on the instrument. The nylon/gut strung instrument has at least 500 years of evolution behind it whereas the modern steel strung instrument came into it's own during the 19th and 20th centuries. Hence the nylon instrument is referred to as the classic design.

Thanks for the history lesson. OK, besides classical music, what type of music did they play back then besides classical? Yep, it's a classical design and it's referred to as a classical guitar, designed to play classical music ...just like I said.
Quote by Akabilk
Thanks for the history lesson. OK, besides classical music, what type of music did they play back then besides classical? Yep, it's a classical design and it's referred to as a classical guitar, designed to play classical music ...just like I said.

Well since you ask, I'll further the history lesson.

The development of Western music is divided into several broad periods and styles, briefly they are
Medieval
Renaissance
Baroque
Classical
Romantic
20th Century (many styles)

As the constructional dimensions modern classical guitar were largely determined by Antonio Torres circa 1850, which was well after the "classical music" period, your statement falls down even further.
So no, it wasn't just like you said at all.
Anyone can goggle. Your playing semantics that are meaningless to to general inquiry of this thread. Apart from that, the Medieval and Renaissance periods were before the guitar was invented. The nearest instruments were various times of lutes.

'The dates of the Classical period in Western music are generally accepted as 1750 to 1820. The term classical music is also colloquially used as a blanket term meaning all kinds of music that feature choirs, or symphony orchestra instruments.

The Classical period falls between the Baroque and the Romantic periods'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_period_(music)

Both Baroque and the Romantic period music is generaly described as 'classical music'.
Last edited by Akabilk at Sep 20, 2008,
Quote by Akabilk
Anyone can goggle. Your playing semantics that are meaningless to to general inquiry of this thread. Apart from that, the Medieval and Renaissance periods were before the guitar was invented. The nearest instruments were various times of lutes.

'The dates of the Classical period in Western music are generally accepted as 1750 to 1820. The term classical music is also colloquially used as a blanket term meaning all kinds of music that feature choirs, or symphony orchestra instruments.

The Classical period falls between the Baroque and the Romantic periods'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_period_(music)

And now we're just wasting the TS's time because what he really wants to know is what exactly a classical guitar is. Good history lesson, but this probably isnt the right time for it.

Anyway... take a look at the link i posted up before. there's some decent answers in there as well.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
The classical guitar is designed to play 'classical music'. The Classical 'period' generally encompasses the Baroque and the Romantic periods 1750's to 1820 and right up to today as well [of course classical music is still being composed].
Before the mid 18th. century there was no such thing as a 'guitar'. So for all intents and purposes I answered the original inquiry in my first post on the matter. That said, some people like to play and the man not the subject and get into semantics to do so just for the hell of it. Bored maybe?
Akabilk, you continue to provide misinformation.
The classical guitar is so-named because of it's construction and pedigree. It is and was not designed to just play classical music upon. It was simply designed to play music upon, of many styles, including folk, which I doubt would fall within your loose definition of "classical" music.
Of course, classical music can be performed upon it, but so can, all manner of styles of music.
If you really want to know what sets it apart from modern acoustic steel-string guitar, in terms of its functional purpose it is this: it allows for the execution of polyphonic textures, something that, although possisble, is not so easily achieved on its steel strung relative.

It is relevant to note that before the advent of the steel string guitar's popularity the guitar of classic construction was simply known as the "guitar" sometimes "spanish guitar" due to its popularity within Iberia.
Last edited by R.Christie at Sep 20, 2008,
"polyphonic textures" ...get a life! I doubt you have a clue as to what that means.

Your full of shit man and are arguing the point for the hell of it just to impress everyone. I've been playing the classical guitar for over 40yrs. including 10yrs at the Sydney conservatory of music, theory and practical, so how long have you been playing it [if at all] and wanking on with your irrelevant crap?
Quote by Akabilk
Your full of shit man and are arguing the point for the hell of it just to impress everyone. I've been playing the classical guitar for over 40yrs. including 10yrs at the Sydney conservatory of music, theory and practical, so how long have you been playing it [if at all]?

I think your above comment exposes more about you than your musical background.
I suggest you take a deep breath and calm down.

Your original comment was

"Classical" just means classical music and if that's a players main music interest....."

The statement was wrong. The word classical in the "classical guitar" means "of classical style" i.e. it's construction.

I corrected the misinformation, how does that make me full of shit?

Who did you study under, was it Greg P?
I think that's just your life story man. After all the time I have played , I've probably forgotten more about classical music than you will ever know. Just get a life. And how old are you? !6 to 20yrs. which is about average on this site? Your comments are nothing about classical music which doesn't take rocket science to know you know jack shit about. Your just desperate to seem 'knowledgeable' on the subject.
Tragically your obviously not [goggling is about it for you]. Don't ask me to test you man because I'll test you on things you can't goggle.
Quote by Akabilk
I think that's just your life story man. After all the time I have played , I've probably forgotten more about classical music than you will ever know. Just get a life. And how old are you? !6 to 20yrs. which is about average on this site?

All of which adds absolutely nothing to the subject under discussion.
Quote by R.Christie
All of which adds absolutely nothing to the subject under discussion.

I totally agree. Ego and narcissism however have to be addressed.
Quote by Akabilk
I totally agree. Ego and narcissism however have to be addressed.

Sigh,
Edit, after this hissy fit, Akabilk threw his toys and quit UG.
Last edited by R.Christie at Mar 31, 2009,