well i was learning the first solo in sacrifice (not scarified) by racer x and there are stretches my very small fingers just cant physically make. the biggest problem is the diminished arpreggios near the start of the solo.

any ideas how to help this? can it be helped?

btw i have an rg with jumbo frets.
all you can do is keep practicing..
you could try re arranging the way you play it.. like maybe playing it somwhere else on the fretboard that suits you best
Fingers can be stretched a lot more, just practise and practise and keep on doing as bigger stretches as you can, and eventually they will be able to stretch that much.

If not, maybe u could try playing the same note a string higher (5 frets lower), but as its an arepggio that probably wont work.
My fretting hand's fingers have stretched over the years, and now they're longer than my picking hand's. Yours will do the same in time.
Quote by Harry Heck
My fretting hand's fingers have stretched over the years, and now they're longer than my picking hand's. Yours will do the same in time.

wow can i get human growth hormone to speed it up
How long are you hands from the line at your wrist to the tip of your middle finger?

I have an RG1570, and I don't have big hands and I can make some pretty nasty stretches with 2 and a bit years playing.
I have smaller hands also buit ive found that if you work on stretch finger such holding the 3rd fret with the pointer, 5th fret with the middle, and 7th fret with the pinky and go up and down your strings in this position over even a week youll probally notice a difference just and exercise though nothing musical
my hand is 26cm but my fingers are small in proportion to my palm. my middle finger is slightly over 7cm long. yes im also vertically challenged
Quote by no_thing101
my hand is 26cm but my fingers are small in proportion to my palm. my middle finger is slightly over 7cm long. yes im also vertically challenged

From wrist to middle finger 26cm? Holy f*&k! I am 6 ft with hand size 19.5cm. You call 26cm small? Your fingers must really be tiny or you just need to develop some dexterity.
Quote by Lrn2shrd69
From wrist to middle finger 26cm? Holy f*&k! I am 6 ft with hand size 19.5cm. You call 26cm small? Your fingers must really be tiny or you just need to develop some dexterity.

+1 Im 6,1" and about 20cm wrist to tip middle finger, fingers about 9cm, 26 cm is h00ge.
Where is your thumb on the back of the neck or stretched over slightly? Are your fingers pretty much perpendicular to the neck or do they come across at an angle?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
26 cm should be enough..

All I can suggest is to keep practicing. You'll get there, and you will probably grow more if you're young.
im not sure at all what the solo sounds ike but if you said diminished arpeggios, when i hear arpeggios i think sweeping.

are you trying to do the arpeggios on 1 string? try sweep picking them
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
Quote by Lrn2shrd69

oops i meant 16. my bad. lmao 26 i wish...

my middle and ring fingers are perpendicular to the neck and my little and index fingers are almost at right angles to each other

i also looked at a youtube video by that guitarist who got obese and died (forget his name). he said that you must have your thumb wrapped around the neck as little as possible to give the other fingers more room to move. it helped but im still not there.

should i just give up? is it the guitar maybe?
Last edited by no_thing101 at Sep 8, 2008,
Quote by Caramello Ruell
im not sure at all what the solo sounds ike but if you said diminished arpeggios, when i hear arpeggios i think sweeping.

are you trying to do the arpeggios on 1 string? try sweep picking them

There are so many things wrong with this post.
Quote by no_thing101
well i was learning the first solo in sacrifice (not scarified) by racer x and there are stretches my very small fingers just cant physically make. the biggest problem is the diminished arpreggios near the start of the solo.

any ideas how to help this? can it be helped?

btw i have an rg with jumbo frets.

Are you talking about the arpeggios in the intro of the song or the actual solo?

In any case, it are usually Gilbert's parts that have the biggest stretches; most likely in combination with string skipping.

You should try converting those string skips into sweeps, as this usually get's most of the big stretch work out.

Example:

H   H   P   P
E-----12--15--19--15--12-----------------------
B----------------------------------------------
G--16--------------------16--------------------

This would be a very Gilbert-like E minor arpeggio with stretches and string skipping (stolen from the Daddy Brother Lover Little Boy solo).

You could also play this:

H    P
E--------15--19--15--------------------------------
B-----17------------17-----------------------------
G--16------------------16--------------------------

Just make sure you play those sweeps cleanly and with the right timing; it's very tempting to 'rush' a little when sweeping, but that will mess up the timing
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
To make stretching a bit easier, try placing your left thumb lower (not closer to the lower strings) behind the neck. It's hard to get used to, but it will help you achieve the results you're looking for. Good luck.
Quote by no_thing101
oops i meant 16. my bad. lmao 26 i wish...

my middle and ring fingers are perpendicular to the neck and my little and index fingers are almost at right angles to each other

i also looked at a youtube video by that guitarist who got obese and died (forget his name). he said that you must have your thumb wrapped around the neck as little as possible to give the other fingers more room to move. it helped but im still not there.

should i just give up? is it the guitar maybe?

mines are 18.5cm, i thought i was a wee sissy when i seen yours were 26cm
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Are you talking about the arpeggios in the intro of the song or the actual solo?

In any case, it are usually Gilbert's parts that have the biggest stretches; most likely in combination with string skipping.

precisely what it involves plus a little tapping.

il try speeping it tomorrow. thanks for all the advice too!
my left hand is slightly bigger than the right one , but I don't think its because of the guitar
I saw on youtube a little girl (like 12 years? ) playing some metal solos like crazy, so not excuses dude and go practice
or get a disney half size guitar