Alright, so I want to buy a keyboard so I can learn piano and whatnot. I figured there have to be a few keyboard players on UG, so what the hell, I'll ask here as well

I've done quite a bit of research, and I've narrowed it down to two choices:

Yamaha PSR E213

or Yamaha PSR E313

seen here.

Now I'm having a hard time deciding which one's worth its money. The only major differences (that would be of concern to me) between the two are that, unlike the E213, the E313 has:

- touch sensitive keys
- split function (you can play two different voices on different parts of the keyboard)
- flash memory for recording songs

Now, I'm an absolute beginner, I've only touched a piano like 3 times in my life, I don't know the first thing about it, so I'm wondering if the extra features (the touch-sensitive keys mostly) are worth the extra money, considering that I'd be starting from scratch basically.

I'd appreciate any input from people who actually play keyboard/piano and know what they're talking about.

Thank you.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
this is a nice model, and not too hard on the pockets

Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
I say the E313
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Quote by cheeseman3001
this is a nice model, and not too hard on the pockets

Vocoder! Sweet!
Quote by Skwisgaar Skwigelf
Fish don't gots no good metal to listens to.
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
I say the E313

+1

I've been playing piano/keyboards for a long time, and i think that playing with a keyboard that doesn't have touch sensitive keys is like having sex with a girl who doesn't.....

Well, you get the point. I hate it when no matter how you push the keyes the sound will come suddenly, and at a constant volume
Velocity sensitivity is a must.
Yamaha are good for those beginner keyboards too, I've got a 403 that suits me fine.

Edit: In guitar terms, imagine only having one volume coming out of your guitar no matter how hard/soft you strummed/picked.
You don't want that on any instrument, dynamics are important.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
What's the price difference? If it's not that big then just for the E313. I'd go for the E313 coz even if you are an absolute beginner, the features might come in handy in the future. Who knows? On the other hand, you might get bored with it and move on. In that case, you lost a bit more money...meh? (unless the price difference is like $200...if so, go for the E212)

However, I have NO idea what im talking about as im not a keyboard player. So don't listen to me
Agreed, if you're trying to learn piano, then velocity sensitivity is an absolute necessity.
My Keyboard is a Yamaha PSR 310... That I actually bought from a garage sale for $20 and it has:

- touch sensitive keys (you can chose to have this on or off)
- split function (you can play two different voices on different parts of the keyboard)
- flash memory for recording songs

Plus many other things.. Personally I'd recommend that. That being said I have never played the two keyboards that you're deciding between. But perhaps you could just look into the PSR 310?
Thanks for the advice, everyone.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.