okay, so my band won the regional finals of a battle of the bands and are now competing to a large crowd in another battle of the bands. weve been together for about two years and im usually the one writing the set list.

in the past the set list structure has usually been the standard hard at the start and end, soft in the middle sort of layout.

i was wondering if any of ug's more expirienced band leaders could lend me some advice on how they like to put together their own origional set lists?

just for refference, we play hard rock, blues and grunge music. sort of like the white stripes or nirvana i guess.
Maybe you could play Say It Ain't So by Weezer and spice it up. Like add a bigger solo section or change up some of the riffs/beats or something. Or Cochise by Audioslave.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
nah i mean an origional set list. im not asking for suggestions of songs to play, just different ways to aproach the writing of a set list.
Start with a heavy/hard hitting, high energy song first.
Give it a little intro, sorta a droney/atmospheric intro, so the people know you're starting your set...
Once you've felt you've had enough of the intro stuff and have got enough people's attention then bam!, hit into the song. Get the crowd all charged up for whats coming up.

You can introduce yourself after the song or during the song...

Then after that you can play your other songs. You could progress from more energetic to less energetic and more atmospheric, whatever you do, it doesn't really matter much what songs you've played during the gig.

Then remember to end it on another high energy track or one of your best tracks. Something the people can remember as they leave the gig. Keep a low energy song for the encore... Just in case!!

So basically you've gotta plan your songs to make your gig flow. It needs to start with the intro thing to get peoples attention and them bam into the song with full, maximum energy. People usually have the most energy during the start of the gig. Jump in and give them what they need!

Then make sure your songs progress though smoothly from one onto the other keeping sure you've got the audience interested and energetic/involved though out the set.

Then end it with another high energy song to finish off the deal and send the crowd happy!

I haven't herd any of yer songs so i really can't say much more!

You've just gotta really keep in mind the gig doesn't lose its energy or the peoples interest at any time though. Its the key to putting out great gigs. You've gotta give the people what they've come for.
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Sep 8, 2008,
Here's the structure that I usually use-

Newer 'hard' song
Song from myspace page that people will know
Older hard song
Softer song
Harder song
Song from myspace page
Usually the first song on the myspace page

Usually works.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Here's the structure that I usually use-

Newer 'hard' song
Song from myspace page that people will know
Older hard song
Softer song
Harder song
Song from myspace page
Usually the first song on the myspace page

Usually works.

hahaha. its funny cos it would totally work that way. i gotta chuck a few more songs in there but yeah, thats a good idea