So Pit , earlier today I was introduced to a stupid enigma , which I cannot seem to solve.

It is in portuguese, but I'll translate it to English so you can understand it

Please, answer me seriously on this !

Three inmates were standing in the same prison cell . Let's call them inmate X, inmate Y and inmate Z (which is blind).
The caretaker brought into the room 5 hats: three of them were white and the remaining two were red. He then blindfolded the three inmates, so there wasn't any doubt, and he presented them the problem: he would place a hat on each of them and keep two hats inside a closet. Next, he would allow them to see the other inmates hats, not knowing what hats were inside the closet, and decide whether he knew or not, with absolute certain, the color of his hat. This was an important detail, because:

-could the inmate guess, he would be set free
-could the inmate choose wrong, he would be executed
-if the inmante stayed quiet, he would be held captive

Given the disadvantage of inmate Z, the blind one, he would be the last one to be asked to solve the problem.

As they took the blindfold to inmate X, he recognised that he didn't have elements that would allow him to state definitively the color of his hat. Repeating the process on inmate Y, also he couldn't know the color of his hat.

As they ask inmate Z what was the color of his hat, he could guess it .

How on earth is this possible ? Inmate Z is absolutely blind btw, and they couldn't see the color of their own hats.

So , Pit , help me !
Quote by JackalUK
The others told him

they just said that they could not , seeing the color of the other inmates hats, say what color the hat they were using was .

Personally I think it's impossible
There is at least one white hat. The blind one is the only one wearing a red one. The first would've seen one white and one red hat, and didn't know his own. The second would see the same thing and wouldn't know. The third however knows the other two don't know, the only solution is that he is wearing the red one and the other two white ones.

It's indeed hard to explain, but this is the best way I could put it.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
His hat is red, the other two are white.

The other two couldnt figure out what color they were wearing, because when they looked at the other inmates they saw 1 color of each and therefore their's could be either color. The third inmate knew that they both had to see one of each color, so he had to be wearing a red one.

duh.
Quote by JackalUK
It's not its just bloody awkward to explain

Yeah.

Inmate z basically uses the other inmates responses to work out which situations are possible and which ones aren't. I can link you to a page:
http://home.honolulu.hawaii.edu/~pine/Book2/chap1EL-2.htm

It's under the heading of 'Deductive Reasoning'. The answer is like a page long lol.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
No it's not impossible.

If the other two could not tell then it must have gone like this.

X - White hat
Y - White hat
Z - red hat

It makes sense The blind guy just realised that if the other two couldn't tell, then his must be red as the other two would've seen the white hat and Z's red hat and gone "um..."

EDIT:

Damn, beaten TWICE!

SHIT and I got the colours around wrong way
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Last edited by Auals at Sep 8, 2008,
Quote by JetMonkey17
His hat is red, the other two are white.

The other two couldnt figure out what color they were wearing, because when they looked at the other inmates they saw 1 color of each and therefore their's could be either color. The third inmate knew that they both had to see one of each color, so he had to be wearing a red one.

duh.

But all three could be white couldn't they?

Edit: I tried explaining it, but it was crap. Someone prove me wrong.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Last edited by breadstick at Sep 8, 2008,
Thanks for the help guys

It seems logic to me in my head but I can't seem to explain this to other people !
x: my hat is red? *executed*
y: um...my hat red? *executed*
z: shit, two whites, that means mine must be red? *confetti*
It is impossible.

They could all be wearing white hats.

X - He sees two white hats, that leaves 1 white and 2 red. - He cant tell
Y - He also sees two white hats, that leaves 1 white and 2 red. - He cant tell
Z - He cant see anything but he could either have a red hat or a white. - He cant tell

Z could guess but he cant know for sure

EDIT: ^^^ Above post is the only way he could know for sure. Exept he got white and red mixed up.

Quote by dudius
x: my hat is white? *executed*
y: um...my hat white? *executed*
z: shit, two reds, that means mine must be white? *confetti*
Last edited by blair30 at Sep 8, 2008,
It doesn't say that he guessed right, just that he guessed.
There is nothing to figure out.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by blair30
It is impossible.

They could all be wearing white hats.

X - He sees two white hats, that leaves 1 white and 2 red. - He cant tell
Y - He also sees two white hats, that leaves 1 white and 2 red. - He cant tell
Z - He cant see anything but he could either have a red hat or a white. - He cant tell

Z could guess but he cant know for sure

EDIT: ^^^ Above post is the only way he could know for sure. Exept he got white and red mixed up.

I agree with you
x-red
y-red
z-white
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
My brain's done a JFK. I regret clicking on this thread.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by heavyairship
x-red
y-red
z-white

doesn't work if Z is blind. All he can go on is the fact that the other two couldn't figure out which hat they're wearing. If they each see one guy with a red hat and one guy with a white hat, they won't know what hat they have on. However, they also wouldn't know what hat they had on if they saw two guys with white hats. So Z has two options: either they both saw a red hat and a white hat, or they both saw two white hats. He still could be wearing a red or white hat.
Quote by heavyairship
x-red
y-red
z-white

No. The second one would know. He would see a that z wears a white one and if y would also wear a white one, x would know, but he doesn't.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Seriously, it doesn't say he guessed right, it just says he guessed. It's a mind****

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
Seriously, it doesn't say he guessed right, it just says he guessed. It's a mind****

it can't be . It comes in a Philosophy book and it says that Z got to his conclusion logically !
Quote by Mister.Y
There is at least one white hat. The blind one is the only one wearing a red one. The first would've seen one white and one red hat, and didn't know his own. The second would see the same thing and wouldn't know. The third however knows the other two don't know, the only solution is that he is wearing the red one and the other two white ones.

It's indeed hard to explain, but this is the best way I could put it.

It's this. I have no clue how to better articulate that however.
Quote by Mister.Y
No. The second one would know. He would see a that z wears a white one and if y would also wear a white one, x would know, but he doesn't.

once again, you're wrong, because he doesn't necessarily have to be wearing a red hat just because the other two are wearing white hats.