What Maxon pedals would be a nice basic set up to have? What does each pedal do and what sound does it make?
^ Expensive? I thought they were pretty fairly priced.

dcvlehr: What amp do you have, why are you only looking at Maxon?
Depending on what your running / looking to spend, and want, you shouldn't just limit yourself to one brand. Should also look into boss pedals, decently priced, and have yet to fail me.
Quote by punkbassist19
Depending on what your running / looking to spend, and want, you shouldn't just limit yourself to one brand. Should also look into boss pedals, decently priced, and have yet to fail me.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Maxon>Boss anyday.
Quote by punkbassist19

Huh? Boss over Maxon? Um, no... Not unless you are into so-so effects with a crappy bypass at the same pricepoint. (I could always hear them suck tone)
If you're going to recommend other brands, at least spit out MXR or EHX before Boss.
Sorry if I offended you, I owned many Boss pedals in the past. Some are actually ok/pretty decent.
Quote by dcvlehr
any other great pedals for a lower price besides boss?

What amp are you using?
Quote by dcvlehr
any other great pedals for a lower price besides boss?

Wait, you went from Maxon, to cheaper pedals than Boss?
Behringer and Danelectro make cheap pedals.
just trying to get suggestions, maxon is the main brand i have been looking into, i really like their 9 series. I am more into the heavy rock sound. Which boss pedals compare?

edit: and i meant lower price than maxon that are like boss lol. Sorry for the confusion
Quote by Horlicks
What amp are you using?

You won't get any help until you answer this...
I suggest a Maxon OD808 overdrive and some kind of reverb if your amp doesn't have it built in
Quote by Horlicks
I suggest a Maxon OD808 overdrive and some kind of reverb if your amp doesn't have it built in

+1

If you have the opportunity to try a Maxon OD-9, then do so alongside the OD808 as some people prefer one over the other, but they are both great OD pedals.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Huh? Boss over Maxon? Um, no... Not unless you are into so-so effects with a crappy bypass at the same pricepoint. (I could always hear them suck tone)
If you're going to recommend other brands, at least spit out MXR or EHX before Boss.
Sorry if I offended you, I owned many Boss pedals in the past. Some are actually ok/pretty decent.

Never said boss over maxon, I said price wise. I only use the Tuner, and the Noise gate, have never had a problem with them. Best bet is just go mess around with different pedals in your price range and chose what you like best.
IMO, you NEED to try pedals out before you buy them. They can sound very different than sound clips, and there are so many choices. Also you want to see the tonal ranges each pedal has. Look at Boss, they have DOZENS of OD/Distortion pedals and they all sound different. And I'm not even counting discontinued ones. Maxon has about 6-10 OD/Distortion pedals. I personally use a OD-9 and I don't see myself ever buying another OD pedal. Perhaps an old discontinued Boss distortion pedal from the 80's just for nostaligia purposes, complete with dents, scratches, and neons colors
Quote by Gutch220
IMO, you NEED to try pedals out before you buy them. They can sound very different than sound clips, and there are so many choices. Also you want to see the tonal ranges each pedal has. Look at Boss, they have DOZENS of OD/Distortion pedals and they all sound different. And I'm not even counting discontinued ones. Maxon has about 6-10 OD/Distortion pedals. I personally use a OD-9 and I don't see myself ever buying another OD pedal. Perhaps an old discontinued Boss distortion pedal from the 80's just for nostaligia purposes, complete with dents, scratches, and neons colors

I'm an OD junkie. I want an OD-9 too. I need intervention, bad.
As far as overdrives and distortions go, Maxon is great. For modulation I find them a bit on the older more basic side. If you insist on stompboxes, look into keely, T-rex, or line 6. When it boils down to it though, you might want to reconsider buying 4+ stompboxes when one good effects system such as the G-major and floorboard could do it all for about the same price and be a little more convienant to operate.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Digitech makes a lot of different pedals at resonable price and decent quality. I thnk I paid like $50 for my screamin' blues (compared to a BD 2) off ebay shipped. If you look at Danelectro pedals as mentioned in an above post, most of them are pretty low quality. I bought a few off ebay cause they were really cheap (almost free) just to play around with. They all ended up in the trash.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Quote by punkbassist19

Dude, Boss pedals are a rip-off and they perform quite terribly almost all the way across the board. And you say 'shouldn't limit youself to one brand' then promote 'boss pedals'. Get your fqacts straight and get some experience before you give advice.

And yes, TS, Maxon make good shit almost all the time (their envelope filter is a bit lacking)
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
not necessarily limiting myself to one brand, i was looking for input on maxon specifically because i have heard nothing but good things on them.

But as far as what style of music i play, i like the rock genre so which pedal brand(s) are best? I like the killswitch style, slipknot, as i lay dying, and even lighter stuff like breaking benjamin.

Edit: i have also been looking into the maxon a lot more and the OD-9 is by far my favorite just based on what i've read and the hundreds of sound demos i've listened to in the past 2 days.
Last edited by dcvlehr at Sep 9, 2008,
Quote by IncubusMan999
Dude, Boss pedals are a rip-off and they perform quite terribly almost all the way across the board. And you say 'shouldn't limit youself to one brand' then promote 'boss pedals'. Get your fqacts straight and get some experience before you give advice.

And yes, TS, Maxon make good shit almost all the time (their envelope filter is a bit lacking)

#1 I do have expierence, quit attacking me for recommending pedals that perform well, as I said again, I have never had a problem with them, and for the price they do there job. and if you read my 2nd post I said exactly what you just stated, I'm promoting the price difference.
Dude, firstly, I don't want to turn this thread into a fight, but dude, anyone who recommends Boss pedals over Maxon seriously needs to try some more gear. I think, and I'm sure people will agree that paying the price you do for Boss pedals, it isn't worth it. You are paying for a crappy quality sound in a metal box. they are durable and reliable, I'll give them that, but if it sounds like ass in a can mostly across the board, and then you recommend it over a company that actually makes quality products, then you have lost my respect in this instance.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM