Is this a good amp for like Megadeth tone? I love that like "Tornado of Souls" like sound. But I have no Idea what to do. someone please help. Is this thing a valve, or tube amp?
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
No. IMHO a Valveking is a waste of money (especially to play metal). I'd buy a Bugera 6XXX series before a Valveking any day. You'd have to change the tubes, make sure you had a good cab/speakers, and an overdrive/distortion pedal of some kind to even get CLOSE to Meg's tone with a Valveking. Truth.
got any suggestions of an amp about the same price for Megadeth stuff? Like any tube amps that are at least 100W I need a gigging amp. And everyones always talkign about 100W for it so I figured hell, and I would save money in the long run to go and buy a kickass amp now!
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
A shame the Bugera is even more unreliable than the VK. Valve amps and tube amps are the same thing. In the long run it's worth to save up for something better.

EDIT: 30 or 50 watts of tube power are more than enough to play live since tube amps are twice or thrice as loud than solid state amps. Read the stickies.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Last edited by Green_Jelly at Sep 8, 2008,
Quote by Green_Jelly
A shame the Bugera is even more unreliable than the VK. Valve amps and tube amps are the same thing. In the long run it's worth to save up for something better.

EDIT: 30 or 50 watts of tube power are more than enough to play live since tube amps are twice or thrice as loud than solid state amps. Read the stickies.

I'd take an unreliable Bugera tone over an unreliable VK tone any day.
Every VK I've heard sounded like mud/sludge. Terrible, awful, tone. Ick.
I think I heard maybe ONE clip of a VK 2 X 12 combo amp on here that
the owner had replaced the tubes and the speakers that sounded even remotely
close to "decent".
Quote by IbanezPsycho
You can get a used Blue Voodoo for Dirt cheap only issue is Megadeth is about the only thing its good for...

Megadeth tone out of a Blue Voodoo??
That would need a pedal or two also. That was another amp I didn't care for.
listen to some of the clips in Sadistic_Sponge's profile

especially the 11 minute clip. Stock VK with tubescreamer i believe. Gets heavy starting at 4:30 and I think he has a Tornado of Souls part in there.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Sadistic+sponge/

IbanezPsycho has some clips too.

is it the greatest amp out there and does metal with not problem....No.
is it a budget amp that can do lots of stuff and is easily modded for $400....Yes.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Megadeth tone out of a Blue Voodoo??
That would need a pedal or two also. That was another amp I didn't care for.

Depends on what era he is looking for but Marty Friedman used them for a good while and there cheap to come by. And I dont think he has the budget for Marty's Bogner Triple Giant and a Tube Works solid-state preamp along with a VHT 2150 power amp or Dave's Rocktron Prophecy with a Marshall EL34 100/100 lol
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 8, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Depends on what era he is looking for but Marty Friedman used them for a good while and there cheap to come by. And I dont think he has the budget for Marty's Bogner Triple Giant and a Tube Works solid-state preamp along with a VHT 2150 power amp or Dave's Rocktron Prophecy with a Marshall EL34 100/100 lol

Huh. I just played a Blue Voodoo half stack about a week ago (only it was black?) and it wouldn't be my first choice to do metal, but it did have decent gain I guess. I'll give you this, it was cheap, I think it was like $800 (barely used, looked new) for the head and the Crate cab it came with was actually really decent, I THINK it had V30's in it. If it didn't, it sure sounded ok for whatever stock speakers Crate used for it.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Huh. I just played a Blue Voodoo half stack about a week ago (only it was black?) and it wouldn't be my first choice to do metal, but it did have decent gain I guess. I'll give you this, it was cheap, I think it was like $800 (barely used, looked new) for the head and the Crate cab it came with was actually really decent, I THINK it had V30's in it. If it didn't, it sure sounded ok for whatever stock speakers Crate used for it.

I didnt say it was a great metal amp in fact said the only thing it was good for was megadeth...

Thats actually pretty high, I have found them for alot cheaper..

Combos go for as low as $200 bucks..
http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inventorydetails.asp?id=641043

Head's usually for about about $250-$300 and Cabs usually about $200
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I didnt say it was a great metal amp in fact said the only thing it was good for was megadeth...

Thats actually pretty high, I have found them for alot cheaper..

Combos go for as low as $200 bucks..
http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inventorydetails.asp?id=641043

Head's usually for about about $250-$300 and Cabs usually about $200

I'm at a loss. What amp could it have been I played? I've seen a blue tolexed blue voodoo before. This one was black but had the letters "bv" by the input jac, I'm assuming that's still a blue voodoo right? Maybe I played something totally different then. Have to do some googling I think. Until then, please let me go get a glass of water to wash my foot down with.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I'm at a loss. What amp could it have been I played? I've seen a blue tolexed blue voodoo before. This one was black but had the letters "bv" by the input jac, I'm assuming that's still a blue voodoo right? Maybe I played something totally different then. Have to do some googling I think. Until then, please let me go get a glass of water to wash my foot down with.

They newer versions are black and dont have the words blue voodoo written on them theres also a few 300watt models floating around. So what you played probably was was Blue Voodoo just a new model. The only ones I have played are the older ones and its quite easy to get a megadeth tone out of them.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
They newer versions are black and dont have the words blue voodoo written on them theres also a few 300watt models floating around. So what you played probably was was Blue Voodoo just a new model. The only ones I have played are the older ones and its quite easy to get a megadeth tone out of them.

I think the confusion I'm having lies in what you mean by Megadeth's "tone" is you're talking about a specific tone that can truely only be had with lots of expensive gear, Marshall JVM or JCM 800, Line 6 HD147, Marshall V30's loaded cab, Rocktron Prophecy II, etc. and God only knows what other rack effects Dave has.
You could probably use a Pod to get that "tone".
But I sure can't hear a Blue Voodoo in its stock form sounding like Megadeth in my head. Even if they used that exact amp at some point (which I had no idea they did).
Semantics.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I think the confusion I'm having lies in what you mean by Megadeth's "tone" is you're talking about a specific tone that can truely only be had with lots of expensive gear, Marshall JVM or JCM 800, Line 6 HD147, Marshall V30's loaded cab, Rocktron Prophecy II, etc. and God only knows what other rack effects Dave has.
You could probably use a Pod to get that "tone".
But I sure can't hear a Blue Voodoo in its stock form sounding like Megadeth in my head. Even if they used that exact amp at some point (which I had no idea they did).
Semantics.

Your looking to far into things. The guy asked for a budget amp that "Is this a good amp for like Megadeth tone? I love that like "Tornado of Souls" like sound" The first amp that pops into my mind for megadeth on a budget is a Blue Voodoo. Alot of guys use them for megadeth covers and even the band used them. You cant really get any closer then that in refrence to a bands tone. If you have the exact amp the band used how can you not be a close as possible to getting there tone. Should I have suggested a Marshall MG the exact opposite of what they used. Im a little confused on what your getting at. You tested an amp not going into it looking for megadeths tone in fact probably looking for the exact opposite and didnt even know the band used that specific amp. I went into it knowing what the band used, sounded like and played with the on board eq until I got close to there tone also played some megadeth riffs on it. So what amp should he get in comparison to the megadeth tone in your head vs the real life tone I was able to acheive? Since my meaning of there tone is evidently totally off...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Your looking to far into things. The guy asked for a budget amp that "Is this a good amp for like Megadeth tone? I love that like "Tornado of Souls" like sound" The first amp that pops into my mind for megadeth on a budget is a Blue Voodoo. Alot of guys use them for megadeth covers and even the band used them. You cant really get any closer then that in refrence to a bands tone. If you have the exact amp the band used how can you not be a close as possible to getting there tone. Should I have suggested a Marshall MG the exact opposite of what they used. Im a little confused on what your getting at. You tested an amp not going into it looking for megadeths tone in fact probably looking for the exact opposite and didnt even know the band used that specific amp. I went into it knowing what the band used, sounded like and played with the on board eq until I got close to there tone also played some megadeth riffs on it. So what amp should he get in comparison to the megadeth tone in your head vs the real life tone I was able to acheive? Since my meaning of there tone is evidently totally off...

A Peavey VYPYR then.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
There actually a really nice sounding amp I was suprised. I can agree with ya on that one lol

I never thought I'd say I LOVE the tone of a solid state amp, but the VYPYR shut down all the other modeling amps IMHO. You can get just about ANY tone out of it if you spend some time switching models, adding tubescreamer, effects, etc:
It feels SO GOOD to recommend this amp to people over the Spiders, MG's, and Cubes. Finally, a GOOD affordable amp that pulls off high gain perfectly. I heart Peavey for this.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I never thought I'd say I LOVE the tone of a solid state amp, but the VYPYR shut down all the other modeling amps IMHO. You can get just about ANY tone out of it if you spend some time switching models, adding tubescreamer, effects, etc:
It feels SO GOOD to recommend this amp to people over the Spiders, MG's, and Cubes. Finally, a GOOD affordable amp that pulls off high gain perfectly. I heart Peavey for this.

I was actually quite blown away by it as well... A bit jealous to tell you the truth. I would of loved to have one of them when I was first starting out. And the tone was pretty darn close to the real deal, still had SS dynamics but the underlying tone was pretty much spot on.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I was actually quite blown away by it as well... A bit jealous to tell you the truth. I would of loved to have one of them when I was first starting out. And the tone was pretty darn close to the real deal, still had SS dynamics but the underlying tone was pretty much spot on.

I actually found a Best Buy mess up on their website where they had the VYPYR 75 watter posted at a price of $209. I posted the link @ Harmony Central in a thread and a whole bunch of us got Guitar Center to match the price! Yup, I paid $209 for mine. That's basically the price of a boutique pedal. For that price I couldn't be happier with the amp. The high gain models are killer and dang close to what they are supposed to be. Not enough gain? You can add the tubescreamer effect to ANY of the high gain models and you're in death metal heaven. No other modeler can claim that. Maybe a Pod, but nothing else this side of an Axe FX sound this killer. ESPECIALLY for the price. That was my best purchase of the summer. It's loud enough to gig with too, easily.