I really only know the basic "slap - slap... pop/pop slap" rhythm. I can't figure out how to learn any others. Are there any good simple examples to check out? I am horribly uncreative.
Listen to bassists who do a lot of slap (Les Claypool of Primus, Flea of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne) and try copy some of their lines. Best way is to start slow to let your hand memorize what to do.

Creatively, I like to try play drum lines on my bass. Slap being the kick drum, pop being the snare.
work with those mutes, play it like drum beat

mess about

hammer on, have fun
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by BrickIsRed
Creatively, I like to try play drum lines on my bass. Slap being the kick drum, pop being the snare.

That's an interesting comment; because its exactly what Larry Graham was trying to achieve when he first developed the slap technique we know and love today. Its also the approach that Claypool takes in his playing. And its why alot of drummers I know make amazing slap bass players.
Quote by anarkee
That's an interesting comment; because its exactly what Larry Graham was trying to achieve when he first developed the slap technique we know and love today. Its also the approach that Claypool takes in his playing. And its why alot of drummers I know make amazing slap bass players.

Shit, I gave away the massive secret to good slap playing. Whatever, todays music could use more of it.
^
True, slap is all good

on a personal note, my slap has improved tremendously since taking a similiar approach, and working on my mutes, before Tommy the Cat was a stupid dream, now,I can play and *cough* sing badly in a brummy accent *cough* at the same time, with bad, slightly drunken mobile fone vids to prove it
All though the advice from this forum and stuff, you guys are all great, cook-E's and drinks all round, on me
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
oh man my bass teacher gave me the best slap excercise, you wouldv loved it

it went something like this

(G note on E string (3rd Fret))

SP x 4 then go down to open E and play ascending till you go back 2 G, in that sort of rythm

sorry its hard to explain since it was given on sheet music

then using that patern go

SSPP, SSSP etc

i hope i didnt confuse u all

EDIT: something like this

G|----------------------------------------|
D|---5---5---5---5---5---2---3---4--.|
A|---------------------------------------.|
E|-3---3---3---3---3---0---1---2-----|

and then use other patterns stated above
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Last edited by sonsie at Sep 9, 2008,