Page 1 of 2
My guitarist told me I was off just a little on my timing on the slow stuff. I didn't believe him. He told me to basically play drums in the car, beat on something with the drums during slow songs, don't just tap your fingers mindlessly. So, I took a cd of 2pac's "me against the world" and played it. Most songs are moderately paced, but more than anything, most songs have a very slow and distinct snare drum hit on a drum machine.... "pop............. pop............." over and over.

So, for a week I have practiced tapping this plastic plate on my floorboard, making a sound EXACTLY when the snare on the cd hit. I was extremely surprised to find that I couldn't do it at first. However, now, locking in with a drummer is pretty effortless. It actually helped quite a bit, very surprising, my bass playing is alot tighter now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cjv7hEAytU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNcloTmvTeA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN15haCIGAM
gj but u r kinda bragging lol
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Walternativo
gj but u r kinda bragging lol

I'm not trying to brag at all, I suck at bass. I just thought somebody else might appreciate this. I have played some instrument or another for 16 years and for something to help this much in such a short period of time, it's just exciting. I just thought somebody else might want to try it. I didn't realize I was as sloppy as I was.
i was always pretty good when it came to rhythm, pitch was and still is my downfall.

although it's great to see people sharing their practice techniques here, that's what this forum is here for. aswell as posting as many pics of your bass as humanly possible
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Interesting idea. I'm with Dan where my rhythm was decent and it was the pitch that was lacking. I have however done this exact same thing. It's really fun to do it with syncopated melodies; anticipating when a part of the melody is going to come in and play along.
^same here. I've been a backseat drummer since I was a little boy.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I started taking basic drumming lessons from the spouse--mainly hand drums etc and I've noticed my timing (which was as relative as Einstein's theories) has gotten considerably better and I've learned what to listen for in a drum part to lock my bass lines with. Pitch and ear training, along with sight reading has not been an issue for me as a bass player as much as timing and groove.
I always drum my fingers or tap along to whatever I'm listening to anyway. It hasn't made me a super-talented bassist not yet at least
Does anyone else have any tips? My bassist thinks of himself as a guitarist with two less strings, and I want to convince him that he's part of the rhythm section. The odd thing is he's a decent drummer, but his rhythm on bass isn't very good at all.

Btw, he's a pick player. I've tried to teach him finger style so he could at least do both, but he pretty much refuses and he can't get it at all.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Sep 8, 2008,
hmm....
I will try this.
Quote by mwhan2209
Jesus Paul Jones and John Bonham.

What? I don't see a mistake in that sentence.
kill him. he does not deserve bass.

but in reality, you should probably just send him to a teacher.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
kill him. he does not deserve bass.

but in reality, you should probably just send him to a teacher.

He's gonna start lessons at school like next week. I'm just not sure how much he'll actually absorb, though, and we've got a gig in like three weeks so...
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
he'll get it soon. deal with it for now. in a few months he should get it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by smb
I always drum my fingers or tap along to whatever I'm listening to anyway. It hasn't made me a super-talented bassist not yet at least

I think everybody's done that all their life, including me. I've just never actually tried to perfectly match a single pop of a snare drum where each one was over a second apart. It was much harder than it sounded. My guitarist said he used to practice with blinkers, would actually drive down the road with the blinker on and try to match its sound exactly. It's really easy to just be a hair off if you're listening good. I was off a little and didn't even realize it until I truly paid attention to this snare.
The few weeks this summer that I dedicated to learning drums made a bigger difference in my bass playing than the whole last year of playing bass with my band.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I might bring back my old typing trick. one handed typing can slow you down, but if you use all your fingers it makes you faster at fretting.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Surely the implication here is that playing guitar hero or whatever would help since there's no fretting or fingerstyle technique to worry about - it's all in the timing.
hmm interesting, rhythm always came second nature to me. I always drum on my steering wheel to songs while I drive and my books when I'm studying.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Which is why bassist tend to be better at guitar hero. Hell, rhythm games are the only ones we don't suck at

Yes, but aren't rhythm games really the only one's that matter? * wink and insert rimshot here*

Actually most of the bass players I know are decent dancers, myself included.
I've been trying to think of a "rhythm method" joke for this thread, but I don't have the wit this evening.

I'll have to withdraw.
The only one I know is pretty awful.

Why do drummers and bass players have lots of kids?
They're not too good at the Rhythm Method.

*groans and then does a rimshot*
Quote by anarkee
Yes, but aren't rhythm games really the only one's that matter? * wink and insert rimshot here*

Actually most of the bass players I know are decent dancers, myself included.

I'm alright, but I know one with great rhythm on bass and terrible rhythm on the floor.

she gets nervous. lol.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Which is why bassist tend to be better at guitar hero. Hell, rhythm games are the only ones we don't suck at

speak for yourself i own at fallout
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
speak for yourself i own at fallout

haha, argeed. I will make you bleed at normal mode worms world party.

Do any of you's play guitar hero on bass mode, even when your playing on your own? It's the way to go in my oppinion.

to return to the subject: Drumming on things, any time and anywhere, Is good I think. I've found it helps alot more than metronomes etc.
typing with all your fingers is harder than it looks. But I'm just typing gibberish to use it as an excuse to type. Lol.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
Quote by m30wc0w
typing with all your fingers is harder than it looks. But I'm just typing gibberish to use it as an excuse to type. Lol.

make sure you just use one hand to get full nimbleness in... and it is. but now I'm as fast as many are with both hands.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by anarkee

*groans and then does a rimshot*

Oh, why would you do that?

Now im going to walk home during lunch and play guitar hero on bass mode. Go me!
Quote by mwhan2209

Quote by anarkee

*groans and then does a rimjob*

*Fixed/obligatory Bumper spam.
^ do i want to know?
Quote by mwhan2209

Quote by Wooly15
^ do i want to know?

I know, and I don't want to.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by deluxity
finally, someone that values the effort of practicing!!

This.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
^Don't take this personally, because you are not the only one who seems to do this. But I am getting really perturbed at the "yes I agree" without explaining WHY. "This" is spam. No warning this time.

And wooly, Bumper and I go back a ways on UG...lol.
You can tap along to the snare in a song? The snare whose rhythm does not change whatsoever during the song? My hero.
This would surely be a far more useful excercise if practiced to a song where the snare rhythm changes ie, tap on beat one for four bars, then beat two for four bars, then beat three and so on...
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Last edited by Insanity^2 at Sep 12, 2008,
Quote by anarkee
^Don't take this personally, because you are not the only one who seems to do this. But I am getting really perturbed at the "yes I agree" without explaining WHY. "This" is spam. No warning this time.

And wooly, Bumper and I go back a ways on UG...lol.

bumper is really Tam's husband...
they just pretend to only know each other through UG...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
bumper is really Tam's husband...
they just pretend to only know each other through UG...

Oh, I see... thats not wierd or anything.

It just was wierd that Anarkee was thanking Bumper for incinuating that she gives rimjobs. But whatever works for those two.

OMG I JUST REALISED TAM SAID MY NAME! -faints-
Quote by mwhan2209

Last edited by Wooly15 at Sep 13, 2008,
Page 1 of 2