When using one scale over all chords what is the best way to make it sound good.
Say you are improvising over A7 D7 E7 and choose to use the A minor pentatonic.
Do you just use the A minor pentatonic scale without thinking about what chord your on?
Or do you do pay attention to the chord change and treat the scale different. If so how?
I often change rythm and stuff like that, and maybe using some riffs and licks only on some of the chords, but I don't mind what note I'm on...
punk&metal wrote:

why would they star in a movie making fun of themselves

Subject: Spinal Tap.

Chill!
Just listen to yourself playing, I myself wouldn't just use Amin Pent for that progression.. Keep in mind the notes that are in the chords and what notes you are playing over them. Don't just play random stuff, make up some melodies in your head.
Quote by statocat
When using one scale over all chords what is the best way to make it sound good.
Say you are improvising over A7 D7 E7 and choose to use the A minor pentatonic.
Do you just use the A minor pentatonic scale without thinking about what chord your on?
Or do you do pay attention to the chord change and treat the scale different. If so how?

I might use just Am pent. Maybe for a phrase or two. Maybe longer. Maybe
exclusively or maybe using it more as a structure.

I always pay attention to the chords, even when I decide to ignore them. The same
note played over 2 different chords is different. But any given note or group of notes
also may depend on what went before it, or what's going to come after it.
If you're going for a straight blues sound you can just use the Amin pentatonic scale, but it makes it sound a little more interesting if you mix it up and use parts or all of the other scales of the chords you're on.
A typical approach would be to use the Am pentatonic/blues as the base, and then mess around with the major and minor pentatonic/blues scales of the other chords a bit.
Thanks

What about Clapton, Page, SRV etc. Do they normally play one scale for there solo's or do they switch the scale to match the chords?
Quote by statocat
What about Clapton, Page, SRV etc. Do they normally play one scale for there solo's or do they switch the scale to match the chords?
A little of both. They do what I said, which is actually why I said it.
right if the chord progression is C, F, C, G then you could play C Major over all of them or the corresponding scale over each chord.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Just make sure you only use the same scale over all the chords when they're in the same key or when the tones of the scale are common to the chord tones.