well, as of today (maybe before too, i just haven't noticed probably) there's been a very noticable clipping-type noise on my classic 30. it's steady, almost like a 41tronome, except it'll fade in and out every once in a while. any thoughts on what it is/how to fix it? it's kind of annoying.
i play noisy hardcore in the vein of coalesce interrupted by lots of isis-esque riffage and ambience, with a healthy dose of screamo dynamics ala funeral diner. it even sounds good sometimes!
does it have tremolo?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
nope, just reverb. could it be any of my effects pedals? i'm gonna go try taking them out of the line and testing it out in a bit.
i play noisy hardcore in the vein of coalesce interrupted by lots of isis-esque riffage and ambience, with a healthy dose of screamo dynamics ala funeral diner. it even sounds good sometimes!
Yeah, take your effects out of the line, and it may be the tubes going out.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
it's definately the tunes, take all my effects out, and tried them individually, still the clipping. hmm. any suggestions on where to buy tubes/what kind? i'd like the amp a little hotter than with the stock tubes if that's any help.
JJs seem to be the way to go for EL84 powertubes. I don't know what would be best for preamp tubes in that amp though. Maybe drop a post in the tubes sticky, roc always seems to have an answer. DA used to have a C50 so he might know some tubes that would work as well.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
As Kevin said, I owned a C50.
JJ's are the bomb in it. The Classic is kind of a darker amp, but the JJ's really help balance it out.
And the preamp tubes are personal preference. I liked the JJ's that came with it, but you may want your amp even brigher. In that case, go for tungsols or similar.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
well, thanks guys! should i swap all the tubes out, or just the power or preamp tubes? which ones have died exactly? i'm a bit new to this, this being my first tube amp and all.
Might as well change all of them if you ask me, but it kind of sounds like your power tubes.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator