Good day to you Pit. I come to you with an enquiry of physical wellbeing. I am 18 at the moment and have a somewhat skinny physique and I'd like to keep it that way. I don't want to be incredibly muscular, but would like to either maintain my current body type or have slightly better muscle tone. I hate the thought of reaching my 30s and having a mid section of flab. So I ask you; what's a good, inexpensive way to stay in shape? Don't point me to the gym or suggest weights; I tried that and like many teenagers I'm just plain lazy and get racked with various things, thus not finding the time. At the moment all I have is cycling a mile(might push it up to 3) a day as I actually enjoy cycling and the walk to and from work which takes about half an hour. Any suggestions then?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Well, if you're just looking to stay in shape, just keep up with what you do and go for the cycling more, perhaps a light bit of jogging?

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Cycling a mile burns the equivalent to... let's say... 3 spoonfuls of rice. You have to bike at least 20-25 miles for any exercise.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
sport

running swimming cycling pushups situps backflips frontflips skipping barrel rolling jumping about much too excited on stage climbing power walking power hopping tennis football aussie football american football squash karate martial arts other such stuff

bodybuilding / nutrition thread?
tl;dr : IM BETTER THAN YOU
Cycle more, theres nothing better. I do 30 miles every saturday and sunday, you'll notice the benefits if you put the miles in.
sit-ups in the morning, and 30 minutes of jogging after that, every weekday, eat healthily, dont drink, dont smoke.

maintain your fitness.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Rowing! Well, I live on the coast... It's what we do.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Situps are overrated, the abs are usually toned enough to look good either way given that you have little body fat. So to get good abs, cardio should be your main priority.

Anyway, I've found running to be the best cardio training, and it does wonders for your breathing if you're a singer aswell. Boxing is another great way to lose fat, while building your torso aswell as getting aggressions out.
Quote by rocknrollrob

bodybuilding / nutrition thread?

Such a thing exists? I'm not going for beefing up, but if I have to go for like 60 miles a week, I'll give it a shot I guess. Eating wise I think I'm good, meals tend to consist of fruit, vegetables and either a slice of pizza (what? I'm a student) or a steak of sorts.
Join a cycling or running club, and have a exercise routine that stays a part of your life. Running is the best kind of free exercise other than swimming if you don't have access to it.

Do you just wanna stay fit, or do you wanna build up strength or something?

You could take up something like boxing, that is great fun, and really being apart of any kind of sport activity would be good for you.

and dont spend all your time on pit :P
hey, i know you might not take it from me, being only 15, but i'm in quite good shape and I would say i've got the same kind of physique as you, quite slim, yet tall.

As you said you weren't intending on joining a gym or getting weights, try and involve urself in a sport. Martial arts are probably the best..alongside rugby, which is quite dangerous though. I'm in quite relatively good shape, toned yet not too big, i am aiming to get bigger yet am quite happy with my size, 6ft2, 32-ish inch waist, quite large and toned body.

But yeah, get involved into a sport, something that preferably uses more parts of ur body than cycling, cause that's mostly your legs and pretty much only your hamstrings and quads...i would advise something like a martial art. Especially concentrating on your skipping...that improves your cardio severlyyyy considering you said you intend on losing the flab around your mid-section.
Swimming is great for an overall exercise. It will tone pretty much all of your major muscles, plus is not boring like doing weights, is more fun and refreshing!
Cardio, it's good, but if you're doing any sort of Resistance training, try not to do a lot of it. Because cardio takes energy from your muscles.. Endurance training is awesome for staying in shape. Running is good but, hands down 95% of people will agree swimming is the best for staying in shape.. Low impact, great for your heart, and muscles. And a lot of people overlook the importance of Eating right.. And exercising EVERY day isn't always necessary.. Need a cool down period like when you weight lift. If you can't get to a pool, then, running I guess would be your best bet w/ Resistance training. Your running is basically your Cardio.
Quote by StratoTele
Mudkip wrangling.

Man its been a while since I've seen a pokemon joke. I was hoping it would stay that way

And just up your cycling up a notch, that's what I'm doing. It's worked out fine for the last 12 months. So far so good
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
+1

+2
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by StratoTele
Mudkip wrangling.

One day! Right, well people are being way too helpful here. A point I failed to make; I'm a lazy little sh*t and I know that my teenage metabolism won't last forever. I enjoy cycling because it's easy, it doesn't require the effort of signing up for anything and it's fast! I'm not looking for a full body work out, just something to keep myself in good shape, good muscle tone but I don't want to be the Hulk or anything. If I have to resort to these clearly greater suggestions to do so, then someone just say it please.
Stretch daily.
Sit ups
Push ups
Run
Swim, if available to you

Get proper hydration
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by Terror Kovenant
Stretch daily.
Sit ups
Push ups
Run
Swim, if available to you

Get proper hydration

How many sit ups and push ups would someone have to do for it to be deemed effective? And I know that personal health comes into play, but just for the average person then. And how long a run is good?
Quote by Mighty_Meh
How many sit ups and push ups would someone have to do for it to be deemed effective? And I know that personal health comes into play, but just for the average person then. And how long a run is good?

US Army Enlisted Standard for physical fitness

Minimum passing score = 50 sit ups in 2 minutes
Minimum passing score = 40 push ups in 2 minutes
Minimum passing time = 16 minutes on a 2 mile run.

Now those are with less than 3 minutes of rest in between exercises and vary with age. and change with rank. My minimums are different cause of my officer status.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Go to the General Nutrition body building thread. Why they fvck did so many veterans post when that thread is on the front page daily?
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by Mighty_Meh

Situps are like wight-lifting, they do nothing if you want to stay in shape. Sweating is what does that, and you don't sweat much from situps. As an excercise though, as with any other, situps are effective when you feel the burn.