So after my long time away from making and working with any proper music, i'm finally done with my exams and can finally work on my music.

But too bad i just don't know where to start from!
The time away from the music has made me hit a major creative block. I can't think of anything musical or anything that i could put in the form of a song.

Furthermore i'm here with softwares like Logic express, reason, about 16gb of drum samples to play around with on Battery, and about 3-4 additional synths to mess with.
Not counting the instruments in Reason and my guitar!

Like i've got all the resources. I know what sorta song i wanna write. I need to make this demo track to audition musicians with for this band i'm looking for set up. I had been working on a few ideas before but i ended up scrapping them cuz i didn't quite like them n i sorta even altered the sound of the music in my head. Just looking for something industrial/punk/electronic. Something like a mix of MSI, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Crystal Castles.

So yeah, i know what i'm chasing, i've got all the resources, but my mind seemed to have hit a block and i can't seem to put down any skill...

So can any of ye give me some tips and ideas to get me started??
I can't think of anything musical or anything that i could put in the form of a song.
Maybe learn some more theory?
Call me Batman.
Relax, go to the mountains, or in the forest, if you like it. Or go to some heavy party or something, just have fun. Girls work too, but the distract you from music in the long term. Weed helps alot. That's for me of course but I hope I was helpful.
Well, i don't really drink or do drugs... So thats sorta out of the question.
As for learning theory, i kinda am... But still not sure how and where to apply it!
^ honestly my best compositions came while on illicit substances but i definitely will NOT recommend that as i've found the majority of people cannot.

seeing as how i've been sober i'll say this:

just jam

i like mixing heavy metal + electronic music and it always starts by either jamming a riff on guitar or sitting down and messing with beats and a keyboard and once i get something i like i can sit there for HOURS writing more and more and more until i consider it "done" . oftentimes with a guitar i'll jam and then i'll hit a riff i think is gold, then i'll record it somehow (actually record it or write it down) then i'll go back and listen a couple days later and if it still sounds good then i'll keep it in my "to be worked on" pile. i'll start accumulating lots of what i consider to be good riffs and start putting them together to make a song. then i'll work out a drum beat for it, lay it down and jam the guitar over the drums roughly then i'll listen to it thinking to myself 'what kind of keyboard stuff would sound sweet over this"

really i oftentimes do even more than this, but the fact that you're inspired to do both rock and electronic music means you should be able to find inspiration anywhere.
Quote by af_the_fragile
So after my long time away from making and working with any proper music, i'm finally done with my exams and can finally work on my music.

But too bad i just don't know where to start from!
The time away from the music has made me hit a major creative block. I can't think of anything musical or anything that i could put in the form of a song.

Furthermore i'm here with softwares like Logic express, reason, about 16gb of drum samples to play around with on Battery, and about 3-4 additional synths to mess with.
Not counting the instruments in Reason and my guitar!

Like i've got all the resources. I know what sorta song i wanna write. I need to make this demo track to audition musicians with for this band i'm looking for set up. I had been working on a few ideas before but i ended up scrapping them cuz i didn't quite like them n i sorta even altered the sound of the music in my head. Just looking for something industrial/punk/electronic. Something like a mix of MSI, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Crystal Castles.

So yeah, i know what i'm chasing, i've got all the resources, but my mind seemed to have hit a block and i can't seem to put down any skill...

So can any of ye give me some tips and ideas to get me started??

1)

Don't try so hard. just have fun, and if it comes out crappy.... who cares. (chances are if you have fun it will sound fine).

2)
Get inspired!

maybe spend some time just playing and listening to music to get you inspired. then come back to writing when you feel like it.

One of my favorite teachers would always say to let it happen, rather than force it to happen.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
1)
One of my favorite teachers would always say to let it happen, rather than force it to happen.

Archeo will surely be here momentarily to tell you to force it to happen, to b!tch slap that f#cker and make it your wh0re. don't listen to him. it says he's an as$ in his sig for a reason.

truely, let it happen and it will sound 100 times better than forcing it. usually when i record something of my own and listen back to it, as soon as i listen to it i instantly start hearing what else i could add to it.
^ i agree with this to a degree. if you have a virtually completed idea i say work on it till you can't take it anymore then take a break. but even on the break write down the ideas you have so you won't forget any of them or you can think about how to improve them when you're not actually working on the song.
Yeah, thanks for the tips/advises guys...

I'll probably try those things n all.
Probably will just plug in my guitar n strum around/mess around till i feel inspired and hit something exciting!!
And then take it from there...