I only brought this to UG because I've been searching, and I've had trouble finding anything. If I was to mod a Squier Jagmaster or Squier Affinity Strat (both made of alder) would they sound anywhere near as good as the American Vintage Reissues? And if so, I know about the Strat, but what pickups would be perfect in the Jagmaster for surf?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
If when you play the guitar acoustically it sounds good, then with the right pups it could sound as good as an american strat. You could also upgrade the hardware and replace the neck and you'd be that much closer to having a pretty nice guitar.

I would think some low output single coils and a fender tube amp would give you a pretty good surf sound. Just crank the reverb.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The (stock) bridge pickup in the jagmaster sounds very twangy, and would probably work for surf, I don't really think you'll have to change much.

I don't think a pickup change is needed, unless you're able to get it rewired for a single coil, because single coils would probably sound better for surf.

EDIT : Do you own it yet? if you don't, I don't really think you'll need to modify it once you play with it, maybe if you're gonna change the pups, maybe you could change them to Seymour Duncans, which would probably be more of an upgrade then anything else.
Yeah, I got a Deluxe Reverb amp, so since it's alder, they could both sound as good as the American Vintage Reissues with good pickups? I was thinking if I buy the Strat, I'd put Custom Shop '54s or Fat 50s, not sure which is lower output, but I have no idea what to use in the Jazzmaster, any ideas for the best surf pickups.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I like the Jaguar, except for the metal panels on it.
EDIT: someone told me the Jaguar is a Jazzmaster with more treble to it. Anyone know how they compare?
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Sep 8, 2008,
Quote by lespaul#1
I like the Jaguar, except for the metal panels on it.

Yeah, they kinda look a little out of place, except on the Jaguar HH (black w/ black pickguard, and all chrome hardware)

but yeah, do you own the jagmaster yet?

it's probably one of the better squiers around.

also, if you're looking for surf sound, with squiers, I'd suggest you to get the Squier Duo-Sonic, it's kinda the mustang apparently, but not as good (i guess?)

it comes with a maple fretboard + a mustang shaped body, 2 Single coil pickups, and I think it has a 3 way switch like on jagmasters, probably comes with a strat bridge, and trem (just liek the jagmaster), and it comes in a sexy goldish/maple for the body with a white PG

24" scale on both Jagmaster, and Duo-Sonic

Jaguar is very similar to the Jazzmaster, except it's a short scale guitar, and if it's just more trebly, why not get that over the Jazzmaster? you can set the treble back I think, if you prefer the jazzmaster + you can find a Jaguar HH for about 250-300$ cheaper than a jazzmaster (i think)
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Sep 8, 2008,
Thanks, but the Duo-Sonic is Basswood, which is cheap, and easily harmed. So, checking again, these would sound as good as American Vintage guitars when modded with pickups?
Quote by chip46
So, perfect surf sound? Another question, over time, would the pale modern Fender maple necks age to look like the vintage ones?
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Sep 8, 2008,
^It will get darker, but not as much as you want. The pale color is the natural color of the wood. Most maple necks have a little color added to the finish to liven up an otherwise dull neck. Its one of those things where they dropped something to cut costs. I'd suggest swapping the neck any way since you'd have a much better looking and playing guitar for not a lot of money.
Kevin, I was thinking of doing that anyway, but how do you think it'll compare to the Vintage American Reissues, the Jagmaster?
Quote by chip46
I'd say it would be close. The american jag will have better hardward (bridge, tuners) and have nicer pups, and obviously a nicer neck, but once you swap out the neck on your squier I think the guitar would be just as nice. The pups in the squier will probably be alright, though if you can't stand them GFS makes some decent single coils for pretty cheap. You might wanna swap the bridge and the hardware eventually. Getting rid of the plastic nut is probably a good idea too.

If you do replace the pups, I would just redo all the electronics and get new pots and a new switch.
After that would it be like the vintage reissues, and is that easy to do?
Quote by chip46
If everything fits right it shouldn't be that hard at all. You won't have the lead/rhythm circuit like the american jazzmaster, but it would be similar otherwise.

If you really want a real jazzmaster then you might be better off saving up if you don't really know how to modify guitars. The only thing you might not like about the reissue is it has a 7.25" radius neck, which you may or may not like. Personally, I wouldn't want such a round neck, but you might like it.
if you change the neck, you need to get a Jag neck, not a jazzmaster neck (cause the bridge is setup for a 24" neck...I think), if you're gonna screw with the electronics, change the neck, and then change both pickups, you might as well spend like an extra 100$ on the Jazzmaster reissue, or find one used, probably for cheaper.
I like round necks, I could save up, but I'd like to get the cheaper one, is it that hard??
Quote by chip46
^I don't know, it could be easy, but you never really know until you get into it. Just get the squier and if things don't seem to fit together right send the parts you ordered back, save up and get a real one.
Well, the pickups will probably cost you like 150-200$, and if you don't know how to change them, your local guitar store will probably charge more than it's worth. If you're changing the neck, the jag neck is probably like 250$, and if you can't change the pickups yourself, more than likely you can't switch the neck either, so he'll charge you like 75-100$ for changing the neck

Jagmaster II = 249$
New pickups = 175-ish
New neck = 250$

Guitar store fee's for modifying your guitar = 150 (probably)

so you might aswell buy a fender jazz/ jag.

and for the strat, you can get a Fender Classic Player MIM for like 400$, and apparently the Classic Player MIM series is ****ing awesome for the price, some prefer it over the American Strats
250 for a neck is kind of high, you could probably get one for close to 150. The Jag only has two pups, so you could probably get some decent ones for around 130 or 150. The neck shouldn't be that hard to replace, just unscrew the old one and screw the new one in, bolts on are nice. Changing pups isn't hard either if you can solder. If you can't solder then buy an iron look up some vids on youtube and teach yourself.

Edit: Just checked, you can get a warmoth neck for 160 bucks.
I know someone who could do it free.
Quote by chip46
still, the pups, and the neck will cost you an additional 300$ (more than the actual guitar) and you still won't get the exact sound you want, why not just spend another 100$ and get the real thing -_-?

and destroy those ugly ass pickup guards on the jazzmaster, or if you get the jaguar get the sunburst Classic Player HH