I have a 25.5" scale Electric Guitar.
Mahogany Body, Bolt on Maple Neck

I currently use the following Gauges for Drop-A to Drop-C
they can go to down to F

0.14---0.18p----0.28w----0.38w-----0.48w-----0.58w

But one day I tuned them to E standard tuning one day and liked how it felt and the tone I got from them.

So my question is, "Do you think the following string gauges would work for Drop-A through C?"

0.14---0.18p----0.28w----0.48w-----0.58w-----0.68w

I did a test on the .48 and .58 and they can go the 2 steps higher to reach the Drop-C but I only did one string at a time, I know the 0.14 through 0.28 gauges will work but just was wondering about the 0.48 through 0.68w

I tested the 0.38 which was tuned to G in the place of the 0.28 and it broke, of course it would, but it did go to F

but the 0.14 through 0.28 suits me for Drop-A through C anything higher would make solos harder in my opinion
O_O

Those are some HEAVY strings. I'd say like 13 - 56/58 or a 12 - 56/58 would work well for both tunings. That way you can do bends and stuff without your hand getting tendonitis in a year.
When I first started I tuned to standard with .13's... <_<
It was not good for my neck ever at all to infinity and beyond.
.14's would just be brutal to it.

What scale length is your neck?

EDIT: Never mind you said. I would highly advise against .14's on there, especially on a 25.5" for anything higher than drop C# or thereabouts. I've been told that .11's on standard we're too heavy -which I'm pretty sure was an overstatement- but .14's will damage your neck for sure.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Last edited by Checker at Sep 8, 2008,
Quote by RG_FANMAN
O_O

Those are some HEAVY strings. I'd say like 13 - 56/58 or a 12 - 56/58 would work well for both tunings. That way you can do bends and stuff without your hand getting tendonitis in a year.

Well, with the bigger strings u do not have to press as hard. I prefer your suggestions for standard tuning, bigger strings makes harmonix's easier and palm mutes more chunky and defined to me, also the action of the guitar and string heights can effect just how tight the strings get so it may not be the same for all playing styles, also you do not have to pick near as hard to get the same tone as small smaller strings picking hard, which to me makes it much easier to play and easier on your finger callouses.

and to bend your supposed to use more than one finger anyway, so really not to hard to me anyway the 0.14 through 0.28w is perfect it would just be the other 3 strings that I'm really talking about :]

Quote by Checker
When I first started I tuned to standard with .13's... <_<
It was not good for my neck ever at all to infinity and beyond.
.14's would just be brutal to it.

What scale length is your neck?

well if you would have read my first statement you would see 25.5"
adjust your truss rod to accommodate the strings, the 14-58 were perfect for standard tuning but perhaps this would be best

0.14--0.18p--0.28w---0.42w--0.52w---0.62w
Last edited by x88x88x88x88x at Sep 8, 2008,
Woah woah woah... I thought you were asking if those would do Drop A-C and still be able to do standard. .14-.68 on Drop C might be stretching it, I'd go with something a little lighter on the low strings.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by Checker
Woah woah woah... I thought you were asking if those would do Drop A-C and still be able to do standard. .14-.68 on Drop C might be stretching it, I'd go with something a little lighter on the low strings.

well the 0.14---0.18---0.28 can go to standard so those are fine left at that for just drop-A to C

However, the other 3 heavier guage strings need to be tighter for same tuning to get more tone from vibration, the 0.48 and 0.58 didnt break when tuned to C and G with 0.48 being C and 0.58 being G

so I assume this would be better combo

0.14---0.18p----0.28w-----0.42w----0.52w---0.62w
Quote by x88x88x88x88x
well the 0.14---0.18---0.28 can go to standard so those are fine left at that for just drop-A to C

However, the other 3 heavier guage strings need to be tighter for same tuning to get more tone from vibration, the 0.48 and 0.58 didnt break when tuned to C and G with 0.48 being C and 0.58 being G

so I assume this would be better combo

0.14---0.18p----0.28w-----0.42w----0.52w---0.62w

Yeah that should be fine.

Maybe you could go .14-.18-.28-.42-.52-.68
That way, even though you're dropped it'll still feel like it's a standard tuning. And that wouldn't put AS much strain on the neck.

They may have tuned to E standard, but if you played in standard semi frequently I'm quite certain you'd be doing damage to the neck.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
okay, wouldn't logic say thicker strings equates to more pressure required on the strings to cleanly fret a note? it's a thicker wound string, with more overall tension. And thick strings would produce a cleaner sound, neccesitating a harder pick attack; that's why even though SRV had a bunch of cranked amps onstage, boosted with a tubescreamer for leads and distortion, his sound is still REALLY clean. Plus, as Devin Townsend says, too thick a string won't crunch as much, which is true; you don't need gargantuan strings to get a heavy sound. On the contrary, lighter strings tuned down equate to an overall heavier sound; Sabbath was really heavy when they came out, and Iommi never used anything higher than 8 - 38s, even when they tuned down to Eb, then to C#.

Yea, thick strings to help pinch harmonics come out, but hell steve vai gets a ton and uses 9 - 46s on his guitars.

Loosen up on the gauge a tad. I still say a 12 or 13 for the high E, and like a 54 - 58 for the lowest E. A friend of mine is tuned to B with a 25.5 in necked guitar and uses D'Addario 12 - 54s (or 56s, can't remember the exact gauge on the lowest string) with great results. His BCR Bich used to be in E, but now is in Drop A, and he hasn't had to adjust the intonation or anything. Prior to that he used 10 - 46s for standard.

Unless you've got like massive hands and finger strength, which you could very well have but since I don't know you I can't tell, the lighter gauge will not only sound heavier, but offer you more playability for solos and the like. I like using 10 - 52s for tuning down to D, so based on how I play, 11 - 56 would work for me for tuning down to C. Since you're tuning around the same and lower, I'd go with a 12 so it's still clear and precise, but will still be light enough to bend really well.

It's just food for thought. You could always go a happy medium between the 12s I suggest and the 14s you use and go with a 13 gauge set.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
okay, wouldn't logic say thicker strings equates to more pressure required on the strings to cleanly fret a note? it's a thicker wound string, with more overall tension. And thick strings would produce a cleaner sound, neccesitating a harder pick attack; that's why even though SRV had a bunch of cranked amps onstage, boosted with a tubescreamer for leads and distortion, his sound is still REALLY clean. Plus, as Devin Townsend says, too thick a string won't crunch as much, which is true; you don't need gargantuan strings to get a heavy sound. On the contrary, lighter strings tuned down equate to an overall heavier sound; Sabbath was really heavy when they came out, and Iommi never used anything higher than 8 - 38s, even when they tuned down to Eb, then to C#.

Yea, thick strings to help pinch harmonics come out, but hell steve vai gets a ton and uses 9 - 46s on his guitars.

Loosen up on the gauge a tad. I still say a 12 or 13 for the high E, and like a 54 - 58 for the lowest E. A friend of mine is tuned to B with a 25.5 in necked guitar and uses D'Addario 12 - 54s (or 56s, can't remember the exact gauge on the lowest string) with great results. His BCR Bich used to be in E, but now is in Drop A, and he hasn't had to adjust the intonation or anything. Prior to that he used 10 - 46s for standard.

Unless you've got like massive hands and finger strength, which you could very well have but since I don't know you I can't tell, the lighter gauge will not only sound heavier, but offer you more playability for solos and the like. I like using 10 - 52s for tuning down to D, so based on how I play, 11 - 56 would work for me for tuning down to C. Since you're tuning around the same and lower, I'd go with a 12 so it's still clear and precise, but will still be light enough to bend really well.

It's just food for thought. You could always go a happy medium between the 12s I suggest and the 14s you use and go with a 13 gauge set.

I only play Drop-A, A#, B standard, Drop-B, C standard, Drop C tunings and my logic was quite correct for my tunings only, it has more tension yes, but when you pick the required amount to pick it, your vibration is much greater, thus creating a better warm medium for low end notes than that of a smaller gauge under same notes, just put your hand on the guitar, and you'll feel the difference, but u will also hear the difference without the amp.

but I decided already

0.13---0.17p---0.30----0.42----0.52-----0.62

the 0.48 through 0.68 would put Drop C at its maxim tension level anything higher breaks, so with that being sad from my test, 0.42 through 0.62 will work
wait, you're getting at the notes sound clearer when using thicker strings?...yea, that was what I was saying. Lighter strings generate a more distorted, and at times muddier tone, when picked hard, whereas thicker strings will sound beefier and overall cleaner.

Okay, now that we're on the same page here, the gauge you selected is definitely the right gauge. I did some looking up on stuff and looked what gauge Michael Amott uses for C standard (11 - 59), so if you do anything lower than that the 62 will give you a bit of extra tension.

14s would have just been overkill imo. plus I don't think they would have offered enough of a crunch and would have been too clean.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
wait, you're getting at the notes sound clearer when using thicker strings?...yea, that was what I was saying. Lighter strings generate a more distorted, and at times muddier tone, when picked hard, whereas thicker strings will sound beefier and overall cleaner.

Okay, now that we're on the same page here, the gauge you selected is definitely the right gauge. I did some looking up on stuff and looked what gauge Michael Amott uses for C standard (11 - 59), so if you do anything lower than that the 62 will give you a bit of extra tension.

14s would have just been overkill imo. plus I don't think they would have offered enough of a crunch and would have been too clean.

theres not much difference between 14 and 13 just a hair xD and 5.2lbs of pressure lol

cheapest way to do that
I'm sorry, but your guitar loses all clarity, attack and definition with strings that thick.

Also, you run the risk of sounding as if it's still 1998.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I'm sorry, but your guitar loses all clarity, attack and definition with strings that thick.

Also, you run the risk of sounding as if it's still 1998.

I'm not sure where you get that information from, when I do not tune high in the first place. Bass guitars have low tuning to which they use bigger strings, and with my bridge pickup my notes are extremely clear. If you would know anything about guitars, you would know every guitar is different and react to different sized strings differently for every unique tuning possible. Don't Jazz players use big strings? Yes and they are fanatics when it comes to clean clear sounds.

but now I am going to go with these I suppose xD via buying each string individually

New::
0.16----0.20-----0.30-----0.40-----0.50-----0.62

Old::
0.14-----0.18------0.28------0.38-------0.48------0.58

Liked Tension of old guages for EADGBE
but now I am trying to get New ones to match
the same tension as the old EADGBE set with
the new set for CGCFAD and be tighter than
old set was for AEADGB
Gear
-ENGL Fireball Head
-Vader Cab 2X12
-Maxon OD-808
-MXR-10 Band EQ

ESP Custom 25.5" Scale
-Duncan Distortion SH-6 (B)
-Duncan 59 SH-1 (N)
Last edited by x88x88x88x88x at Sep 9, 2008,
13?! I used 11's when I tuned to C...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by x88x88x88x88x
I'm not sure where you get that information from, when I do not tune high in the first place. Bass guitars have low tuning to which they use bigger strings, and with my bridge pickup my notes are extremely clear. If you would know anything about guitars, you would know every guitar is different and react to different sized strings differently for every unique tuning possible. Don't Jazz players use big strings? Yes and they are fanatics when it comes to clean clear sounds.

but now I am going to go with these I suppose xD via buying each string individually

New::
0.16----0.20-----0.30-----0.40-----0.50-----0.62

Old::
0.14-----0.18------0.28------0.38-------0.48------0.58

Liked Tension of old guages for EADGBE
but now I am trying to get New ones to match
the same tension as the old EADGBE set with
the new set for CGCFAD and be tighter than
old set was for AEADGB
What a typical UG response of "Leave me alone, everybody's different and wants different things!"

Just pick a gauge and write a sludgy, dated riff with too much bass.

Ha! Ha! Take it easy, I'm only somewhat kidding.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION