On a scale of beginner, intermediate and advanced guitarist how does a self taught guitarist assess there individual progress and where they sit within this above scale? Plus is it important to have understanding of where you fit along this scale and why? Have a great day!

cheers
shaggs
Don't compare yourself to others. There will be a ton of people better than you, and probably a ton more not so skilled as you.

Just concentrate on your own development, and judge for yourself whether you're good enough for whatever situation - be it a live gig or recording session - or whether the gig would challenge and improve you.
The only way to measure progress is by regularly setting goals for yourself, short term, medium term, long term. If you are consistently achieving those goals, then making new goals, and achieving those, etc, then you are doing well, and will eventually be an excellent guitarist if you keep doing that.
Quote by edg
Why would self-taught mattter?

And, any time spent on wondering where you fit the scale, is time wasted.

I thought that if someone has a teacher then they are assessed on there progress whereas a self taught person would need to rely on there own judgements/perspective. Plus the other question raised was the importance of knowing if self taught guitarist needs to measure there progress... For eg. i'm self taught and I add little goals each year and visualise where I would like to be (not so much within the scale) and it might be play and sing at same time and then once i achieve that i know i have progressed and start on another goal (learn some lead guitar or another style of guitar then just keep adding on)... plus when finding tabs and people rate them and something I think is easy is rated advanced so i suppose thats why I wanted to hear what other people thoughts were...Also fellas thanks for the insights/wisdom.

cheers
shaggs
Setting up goals for yourself is fine and justified. Where you fit in some kind of
arbitrary scale is immaterial. Your only measure should be that you are getting
out, with abundance, what you put in. I'm self-taught mostly, and couldn't care
less what kind of scale I fit into. Even getting the information from a teacher --
what good is it?

If you must, always think of yourself as a beginner. That's an attitude that will only
keep your mind open to new things. Anything else just gives you the false sense
of making progress on a meaningless scale. In the final analysis, your playing will
speak for itself.
Quote by shaggz
On a scale of beginner, intermediate and advanced guitarist how does a self taught guitarist assess there individual progress and where they sit within this above scale?
cheers
shaggs

do you enjoy playing? if the answer is yes, then who cares about where you sit on some superficial scale?

Quote by shaggz
Plus is it important to have understanding of where you fit along this scale and why?

If you play because you love listening to music & enjoy playing it on your guitar... no

if you play as a way to boost your ego.......probably..... to you and others that are in it for the same reason.
shred is gaudy music