OK, I was putting up signs for a Bassist(worst thing in the world, cause i got a pedefile emailing me, and i eventually changed my email) and a kid walks up to me and asks if a rythm guitarist would be good(the lineup for the band is me, the lead, and my friend, the drummer) so I said "yeah that's fine". he said he can play rythym and lead, and that's when I told him I'd think about it.

I would really like a rythym guitarist, but lead is sorta my thing. where a blues band on the coast, and bassists are nonexistant around me for all I know. I want this kid in the band very badly, but I don't want to be the Bossy Paul McCartney of the band.

Any advise on what to tell him would be nice,( and any advise about advertising for a bass player woul be appreciated too)
You should play the bass, write the leads, and then just let him play it.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by cfhwarhead
Your line up was set you said. with him as rhythm which is what he offered. Whats to say?

He said he need a bassist too.

Just do what Sean-Man said. Write the leads, have him play it, and you play bass.
it's just the look he gave me when he said he wanted to play leads AND rythym, that kinda scared me. once again, I wasnt looking for a rythymist, I was looking for a bassist, because I am to cheap to go out and buy a bass, so a bassist is more of what i want. Rythym can always be traded in with good playing of the bass, drum, and lead. I called him an hour ago and he said he can sing, he also played some of his soloing and it seems we have a delema. I am Slightly better than him. If he's good at singing, I might as well just trash the rythym thing and keep stalking around guitar center for a bassist that doesnt only play the seinfeld theme and is within our Age limit.

He seemed really hopefull about it, and I don't want to come off as a selfish asshole, but I WAS GONNA BE LEAD

That stalking around guitar center thing will begin tommorow, and luck be on my side and I find a good bass player, We might have a band.

Suggestions are still appreciated tho
Last edited by willwelsh816 at Sep 8, 2008,
Quote by willwelsh816
it's just the look he gave me when he said he wanted to play leads AND rythym, that kinda scared me. once again, I wasnt looking for a rythymist, I was looking for a bassist, because I am to cheap to go out and buy a bass, so a bassist is more of what i want. Rythym can always be traded in with good playing of the bass, drum, and lead. I called him an hour ago and he said he can sing, he also played some of his soloing and it seems we have a delema. I am Slightly better than him. If he's good at singing, I might as well just trash the rythym thing and keep stalking around guitar center for a bassist that doesnt only play the seinfeld theme and is within our Age limit.

He seemed really hopefull about it, and I don't want to come off as a selfish asshole, but I WAS GONNA BE LEAD

That stalking around guitar center thing will begin tommorow, and luck be on my side and I find a good bass player, We might have a band.

Suggestions are still appreciated tho

Tell him to just play rhythm and sing too then?
TBH, Rhythm > Lead. When are you going to play lead in a song? You dont solo over the song when the rest of the band is playing. I'd say, you should become a more full guitarist. Don't underestimate the rhythm. Eddie Van Halen is a great lead player, but guess what? He's a better rhythm guitarists GETCHO GROOVE.
Quote by shtiming
TBH, Rhythm > Lead. When are you going to play lead in a song? You dont solo over the song when the rest of the band is playing. I'd say, you should become a more full guitarist. Don't underestimate the rhythm. Eddie Van Halen is a great lead player, but guess what? He's a better rhythm guitarists GETCHO GROOVE.

Eddie a good rhythm guitarist? I laughed a little there. Thats one of his biggest shortcomings, he does all these leads during a songs and his riffs sound too much like leads.
Thats not to say eddie is bad... he's freaking amazing its just I would never call him a great rhythm guitarist....

Dude I dont see the problem here. Almost every rock/blues band should have a bassist. Just get a bassist, than you guys could do like duel leads. Thin Lizzy... Judas priest... Iron Maiden... Just to name a few of the great twin lead bands.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Eddie a good rhythm guitarist? I laughed a little there. Thats one of his biggest shortcomings, he does all these leads during a songs and his riffs sound too much like leads.
Thats not to say eddie is bad... he's freaking amazing its just I would never call him a great rhythm guitarist....

Dude I dont see the problem here. Almost every rock/blues band should have a bassist. Just get a bassist, than you guys could do like duel leads. Thin Lizzy... Judas priest... Iron Maiden... Just to name a few of the great twin lead bands.

Dude, guys like him and Hendrix are hailed as awesome rhythm players because they can successfully mix rhythm and lead.

...You probably think I'm going after your posts directly.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
You get a baritone guitar or get a Keyboardist.

For the baritone guitar just make your band a low tuned blues band.
Both of you guys now have solos in the songs. Or take turns. This is not a hard problem. I'm sure you're man enough to be able to share solo duties :P
Ask yourself: Whats more important to you, being the lead guitarist or getting a functional band together.

I get a sense of illigitimacy and immaturity from your posts, and I feel the need to say alot of negative things but I will refrain and instead just give some advice. Speak openly and honestly with him and be willing to compromise. Have him understand your musical goals and what you want, and understand his.
As above: which is more important to you, having a good band, or getting to solo?

If you actually care about the band, be prepared to share lead/rhythm roles with him. If he can sing he's not likely to want to play lead parts at the same time, so you get to play lead guitar and he can do solos/lead parts when he's not singing.

It sounds like you're treating it as 'your' band where you get to control everything and do all the fun stuff. Seriously, grow up. If the guy's a good guitarist it won't hurt the band.
Gah, stop seperating rhythm and lead and play the damn guitar.
I agree with what some people have said above that all guitarists should play rhythm and lead - if I were you I would concentrate on finding a bassist and tell the guy that you can't jam or make a desicion until you've got a bassist. If he's not cool with that, his loss. Bands are hard to come by, especially for younger musicians or beginners. It seems to me that you don't think much of his playing anyway.

You could also ask him if he'll play bass, but in the style of Geezer Butler or the dude from Queen - that is, bass that doesnt just play the root notes of what the guitarist is doing - if hes a decent songwriter he should be able to come up with some cool bass lines to go under the guitar that are completely different.

If you solve your bassist problem, I don't see why you can't share solos. Guitarists that are set on soloing and being the only one that gets to solo aren't worth keeping around. They're the kind that think of the band as their backing group and not as musicians - don't get me wrong, I love soloing and playing leads, but still.

But maybe you shouldn't listen to me, I'm not even IN a band.
Last edited by warpig0001 at Sep 25, 2008,
Quote by shtiming

Theres always some sort of lead in the whole song during blues. I've already just made my decision. That stalking in guitar center has done some good work, and I've found a Cream Fanatic just like me in the Bass section. I saw him playing Lawdy Mamma on the duble bass in the corner(one of creams lesser known songs) and I asked him if he was interested in a band. He said yes, and were meeting at a church thingy in patterson. He told me he is good for improv and is all in for hardcore soloing. I'm gonna call the rythym guy tommorow so that he can come to the church meeting.

I can only put some blind faith into this and go for it. Thanks for all the advise, and I'm probably gonna let one guy be singer/Rythym, Me Lead/backup singer, friend is drummer, and my miracle find will be bass/backup singer.

If any of this works out, we'll have vids and stuff in a year or so. Also, Warpig0001, I was planning on a sort of trio, but I found that playing lead and rhythym can be very hard without a loud amp and good techinque with feedback and open strings. I would love playing both, but it seems a blistering task that can be taken by a duet of rythym and lead.
If anyones the leader of the band, its the drummer because it was his finding me that got us into this adventure. I feel pathetic saying this, but I was thinking like cream at first, but now it turned into the beatles. Our Rythymist will obviously be the Lennon, Me as the Harrison, and so on. That doesnt mean that we will play like that(the beatles never played the blues)

I also loved all the other loving coments
Last edited by willwelsh816 at Sep 10, 2008,
Quote by willwelsh816
That doesnt mean that we will play like that(the beatles never played Yer blues)

Fixed.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/