Ok, so I have my natural major and minor pentatonic scales memorized in every form across the fretboard. I actually got the chart from this site. I've been practicing it for about a month now, and I pretty much have it down. I see all these people on Youtube doing heavy metal and rock and roll solos with the pentatonic scales, but anything I do ends up sounding all bluesy. Suggestions?
I think it's mostly in the backing track. Also, people often fit in passing notes in strange places. I don't really think there's anything to be done.
maybe its just your soul coming out through your fingers?
Le Parkour.

Any fellow Traceurs PM me!
Oh yes, because I'm so sorrowful and blue. Well actually...
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
a wise man once said "blues had a baby, and he named it rock n roll." just work on it, everything stems from blues. its mostly about your phrasing, touch, and use of notes. listen to some ACDC, thats an easy transition from blues to rock. dont go from BB King to Dethklok
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
BB King to Dethklok... Dayum... I think there's a word for that... Can't remember it...
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Guess that means you were born to play the blues!

The blues is the best.

But seroiusly, I'd say the backtrack is generally what makes or breaks a guitar solo. Sure, the phrasing and everything is important, but without a good rythm and progression, it's nothing!
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
Possibly, lol. The amp sure suits it. How much do you think that thing is worth?
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
i had this porblem for ages.
you just have to find shapes in the scales, and pickin styles, hammer ons and pull off etc that sound good.
everyones soloing style is different and you just have to find a way to manipulate it that suits you,
also, what has come before and after the solo, andwhats going on in the background, effects how it sounds too.
If you sound bluesy it's because you're playing bluesy. Its probably because you're simply following patterns rather than actually paying attention to the sounds you're creating so put the guitar down and spend some time just thinking about what it is you want to create.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
you need to learn about modes... therin you will find the "secret" to playing less bluesy stuff.
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
im with hippyheaven1 on that...learn the 7 modes of the major scale, this will give you infinite new options in your playing! (for heavy rock may i suggest my favorite mode ...E Phrygian in the key of Cmajor. happy days.
Quote by kwikfingers-uk
im with hippyheaven1 on that...learn the 7 modes of the major scale, this will give you infinite new options in your playing! (for heavy rock may i suggest my favorite mode ...E Phrygian in the key of Cmajor. happy days.

There's no such thing..."E Phrygian" in the key of C major is just "C major"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

No there isn't, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet...that's an appalling "lesson".

...don't make me go and get someone from MT to educate you
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
No there isn't, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet...that's an appalling "lesson".

...don't make me go and get someone from MT to educate you

The Phrygian mode, is the third of the seven musical modes. It is similar to the natural minor except for the lowered second. The Phrygian scale is the minor scale that appears when a major scale is started from the third note (third scale-degree). Thus, a C major scale played from "E" is an E Phrygian scale.

educate that !!
Doesn't change the fact that you can't play E Phrygian in the key of C major - it's not about where you "start" the scale from, the underlying tonality defines the scale. If you've got a static tonal centre of E then those notes will gravitate to E Phrygian, if you're in the key of C major then they resolve to C.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Doesn't change the fact that you can't play E Phrygian in the key of C major - it's not about where you "start" the scale from, the underlying tonality defines the scale. If you've got a static tonal centre of E then those notes will gravitate to E Phrygian, if you're in the key of C major then they resolve to C.

dont make me humiliate you fella, your really starting to do my head in
Quote by hippyheaven1
dont make me humiliate you fella, your really starting to do my head in

smarter people than you have tried, and failed...do your worst

So far it's 1-0 to me with the fretboard thing, you really reckon you can pull level with this?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
smarter people than you have tried, and failed...do your worst

i didnt want to do this.

you claim to have been playing for 19 years. I just listened to your profile mp3's - dear oh dear oh dear.

your rendition of whicky in the jar displays no command of the guitar whatsovever. you have no timing, u cant bends notes in tune, you miss out the bits you cant play. your hammeron technique is innacurate, and your fretting "technique" makes a lot of notes out of tune and some are just muffled.

your not very good are you???

come back and educate me when you can play..... numpty !!
Quote by hippyheaven1
i didnt want to do this.

you claim to have been playing for 19 years. I just listened to your profile mp3's - dear oh dear oh dear.

your rendition of whicky in the jar displays no command of the guitar whatsovever. you have no timing, u cant bends notes in tune, you miss out the bits you cant play. your hammeron technique is innacurate, and your fretting "technique" makes a lot of notes out of tune and some are just muffled.

How's that humiliation?

If I was embarrassed by it I wouldn't put it there - the main purpose of the clips was to demo a pedal somebody made, not to show off my skill.

Besides, this isn't about technical ability, you probably are better than me - doesn't change the fact that I'm smarter.

And what's "whicky"?

4/10 - must try harder, would have been a 5 but an extra mark deducted for spelling
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Ooo, think ive started a heated debate, just cos you play the notes from Cmajor it doesent make it Cmajor! (Ionian) otherwise what's the point in naming the modes, why not call them all CMajor!
Quote by steven seagull
How's that humiliation?

If I was embarrassed by it I wouldn't put it there - the main purpose of the clips was to demo a pedal somebody made, not to show off my skill.

Besides, this isn't about technical ability, you probably are better than me - doesn't change the fact that I'm smarter.

And what's "whicky"?

4/10 - must try harder, would have been a 5 but an extra mark deducted for spelling

my point is..... your in NO position to educate people. cos your not a very good player.
Ok gentlemen, penises on the table, let's end this right here
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by Bendybaws
Ok gentlemen, penises on the table, let's end this right here

easy enuff to say, and i share your sentiment. but UG is full of numpties like seagull who cant play but have stumbled upon a half truth, going round "educating" people about guitar.

i cant just keep my mouth shut and let the numpties take over.

rant over
Quote by hippyheaven1
easy enuff to say, and i share your sentiment. but UG is full of numpties like seagull who cant play but have stumbled upon a half truth, going round "educating" people about guitar.

i cant just keep my mouth shut and let the numpties take over.

rant over

Damn! I thought you might actually get it out

Knowledge is power, keep fighting the good fight
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by Bendybaws
Damn! I thought you might actually get it out

Knowledge is power, keep fighting the good fight

it is out.... dont tell me you want pics

oooooh er missus
Quote by hippyheaven1
i didnt want to do this.

1 - Don't criticise other people without having the testicular fortitude to bring your own music to the table; until we've at least heard you you have no place to throw quite frankly bizarre insults around.

2 - The point of the post that started all this was that there is no such thing as "E phrygian in C major"; yes, E phrygian is derived from C major but if you play what looks like E phrygian over a C major chord sequence it's just C major.

3 - Learn proper grammar and spelling; there's nothing worse than someone who thinks they're awesome but doesn't seem to understand that capitalisation is one of the fundamentals of a good written argument.

4 - With this little rant you seem to have declared yourself in the wrong by resorting to ad hominem arguments rather than actually trying to prove yourself right; I wish you luck in future but this time you're wrong.

Good day to you sir.

Numpty.

TS: The key to not sounding bluesy in a solo is to not play blues licks which is, in turn, all about phrasing; go away and learn as many metal solos as you possibly can and pay attention to how they phrase what they're playing, no amount of new scales will do anywhere near as much good as that will.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There is no such thing as "E phrygian in the key of C major".

Steven Seagull is correct. You wouldn't say "I'm playing in A minor in the key of C major", because you'd sound like a fool. You also wouldn't start all this humiliation business.

Any further childish shit gets a warning.
Quote by Freepower
There is no such thing as "E phrygian in the key of C major".

Steven Seagull is correct. You wouldn't say "I'm playing in A minor in the key of C major", because you'd sound like a fool. You also wouldn't start all this humiliation business.

Any further childish shit gets a warning.

...ok i accept what you are saying because all this stuff is quite new to me. so if im playing from E to E using only the notes from the CMajor scale what am i playing in?
Think ive figured out what started all this...let me re-phrase my initial point......play E Phrygian FROM the key of CMajor not IN the key of CMajor. nuff said. soz peeps
Quote by kwikfingers-uk
...ok i accept what you are saying because all this stuff is quite new to me. so if im playing from E to E using only the notes from the CMajor scale what am i playing in?

If you play from E to E you are playing the "scale of E phrygian". That isn't the same as playing a song or improvising "IN E phrygian", which requires a backing and melodies to use E as tonic.
Try soloing in straight major and minor scales, while still sticking to pentatonic shapes....

This gives it a very melodic/complicated feel while still keeping that powerful and obvious "solo" aspect...

ie. E minor pentatonic...

Just play E minor... But with scale runs, occasionally skip to hit the "pentatonic notes".
Quote by roshjosh
Try soloing in straight major and minor scales, while still sticking to pentatonic shapes....

This gives it a very melodic/complicated feel while still keeping that powerful and obvious "solo" aspect...

ie. E minor pentatonic...

Just play E minor... But with scale runs, occasionally skip to hit the "pentatonic notes".

i understand most of what your suggesting but what do you mean when you say 'pentatonic notes' ...arnt they all pentatonic when only playing the box shapes?
Quote by kwikfingers-uk
i understand most of what your suggesting but what do you mean when you say 'pentatonic notes' ...arnt they all pentatonic when only playing the box shapes?

I think you're getting confused by what he's saying. He's suggesting that you mainly use the notes of the pentatonic scale but also throw in other scale tones like the b6 and 2 to add more colour.

However I say it once again: The most important thing is phrasing; phrasing makes a solo what it is, not the scale it's using.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.