Anyone know why the prices are so low on these Crate tube amps? Is this a close-out, or will these prices be around for awhile? I haven't heard much good about the V5, but alot of people seem to like the V18. I don't really need the 18 watts, 5 W would be fine for my use, anyone have anything good to say about the V5?

axenut
crate is like this with amps:
When it comes to solid state: complete and udder crap, except i did play one really nice combo a few years back and really enjoyed it

When it comes to Tube amps: you know you will get a good piece of equipment
Quote by Ghold125
crate is like this with amps:
When it comes to solid state: complete and udder crap, except i did play one really nice combo a few years back and really enjoyed it

When it comes to Tube amps: you know you will get a good piece of equipment

I disagree, the Blue Voodoo sounds like a fart in a box.
Quote by al112987

i disagree, i loved the blue voodoo, has a nice crunch to it...but i did have one of my other friends say the same thing, could just be that i enjoyed it.
Quote by al112987

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with that. But the V series amps are very nice for the money.
The V5 doesn't have the eq controls that the V18 has. So less control and no reverb.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with that. But the V series amps are very nice for the money.

Agreed, and the Crate vintage club 30s were not bad either, but I think they're discontinued.
I blew a Randall solid state combo a while back (RG-50 from the '80s) and it has a 12" jaguar speaker. I was thinking of getting the V33h and using the Jaguar to make a new cab.

hey, at $179 it's like a limp d*ck: you can't beat it!
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
i think the prices are starting to go back up, so buy buy buy!
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords

I have an almost phobia of this
Quote by UnsignedRecords

D:
GEAR:
Crate V50 combo
Bad Monkey OD
Boss DS-1
Squier 20th Ann. Bullet (black on black, Gibson 500T pickup, Ping tuners)

Quote by crackereast
i'm going to call charmin and see if they will endorse me.
i use the **** out of there paper.
i dunno why they're on sale, but it's not gonna last forever. so spread the word!
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I have a V5, I like it - it does have limited control of the tone, with a tone knob - but get an eq if you want more than

In general it's a fun amp for dirt cheap, I actually just traded for mine, but the price is good right now. No it's not doing metal on its own, but the cleans are nice enough and it gets a satisfying crunch.

*side note* I liked the Blue Voodoo
      Quote by guitar/bass76
      I have a V5, I like it - it does have limited control of the tone, with a tone knob - but get an eq if you want more than

In general it's a fun amp for dirt cheap, I actually just traded for mine, but the price is good right now. No it's not doing metal on its own, but the cleans are nice enough and it gets a satisfying crunch.

*side note* I liked the Blue Voodoo

Sounds promising then. I'm looking at getting a pedal or two to go with it, probably an Ibanez tube screamer.

axenut
          I just tried out the old palomino and ordered the V33 after reading reviews online for two months, It's gotten nothing but awesome reviews so I'm really psyched. The V18 doesn't have channel switching as far as my knowledge goes so take that into consideration
          Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
          Into:
          Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
          Into:
          80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
          Quote by JWD32792
          I just tried out the old palomino and ordered the V33 after reading reviews online for two months, It's gotten nothing but awesome reviews so I'm really psyched. The V18 doesn't have channel switching as far as my knowledge goes so take that into consideration

I was actually leaning towards the V5, because I don't need a loud amp.

axenut
          My local rep gave me the skinny.

Crate is clearancing all the V series amps. They fired the guys that had anything to do with this project. I guess they weren't selling due to the rep. that Crate has in the market. Anyway, they built too much inventory and I think that one of the mail order super stores left them high and dry after thinking that these things would sell like the epiphones.

So, take advantage of them now, as once they are gone, you'll have to buy a black heart. (Black heart is the new tube line from Crate to compete vs epiphone.)

I chose the V18 ($150) over the V5 ($100) for two reasons.
          1 18 watts Class A is plenty loud enough to gig with, thus more versitile in the long run.
          2 Tone. The V18 with the 12" speaker has way better tone than the V5 with it's 8"? speaker.

I really, really like the V18. Upgrade the tubes, as the Sovteks just don't work in this amp. Very harsh OD. I have EH golds and a Tung Sol in the pre, and JJ's in the power. Man, it's like a different (and much more expensive) amp now.

Alot of folks are changing out the speaker too. I like the stock one fine. Ran the V18 through my marshall cab, and like the open back stock sound better.

Not really willing to drop 80-100 bucks on a new speaker that I may not like.

I think this amp is more vox than marshall, but regardless. It is pretty sweet for the $.

Also, it takes pedals very well.
          Quote by 2_much_gear
          My local rep gave me the skinny.

Crate is clearancing all the V series amps. They fired the guys that had anything to do with this project. I guess they weren't selling due to the rep. that Crate has in the market. Anyway, they built too much inventory and I think that one of the mail order super stores left them high and dry after thinking that these things would sell like the epiphones.

So, take advantage of them now, as once they are gone, you'll have to buy a black heart. (Black heart is the new tube line from Crate to compete vs epiphone.)

I KNEW IT!!!!!

I knew the Blackheart series were nothing more than rebranded V-series in a box. I knew it had something to do with the name.

**** me, that's hilarious.

I knew Blackhearts were no better than the V-series. Same parts, same company, same factory, different name/look.

I will say this, though. The Killer Ant looks promising.
          Quote by axenut
          Sounds promising then. I'm looking at getting a pedal or two to go with it, probably an Ibanez tube screamer.

axenut

You would really need to, what I learned from my V18 is that its a pretty low gain amp, I can barly get hard rock.
          Quote by Le_Bunny
          Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by (Metal)lica
          You would really need to, what I learned from my V18 is that its a pretty low gain amp, I can barly get hard rock.

My V33H got pretty gainy when I played it last (don't have the cab yet )

It can get some older hard rock type tones, like a Thin Lizzy type deal.
          Quote by imgooley
          I KNEW IT!!!!!

I knew the Blackheart series were nothing more than rebranded V-series in a box. I knew it had something to do with the name.

I knew Blackhearts were no better than the V-series. Same parts, same company, same factory, different name/look.

Big +1 right there.
          The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
          Quote by imgooley
          I KNEW IT!!!!!

I noticed when the price of the V series dropped, the price of the Blackhearts went up. . . coincidence?! I think not. . .

That V50 looks ok, I'd like to get a 6L6 based amp. I wonder how the cleans are. . .
          v series is toast.
          Blackhearts are replacing them.

once they sell off stock, they are gone.

crate wasn't making money on them.
          i ordered my V33212 a few weeks ago from GC, and they said it'd be available on 9/15/08, but now it's been pushed back to 10/8/08, but AMS has 'em now, what gives?!?
          I ordered my Crate V33H 2 weeks ago and got it that friday