I am looking at getting a Peavey Classic 30 in the near future, and I was wondering what kind of tones it can cover?

I love Steve Vai, and Buckethead's tone, and I was wondering if these tones are possible without a Mesa or Carvin.

I've played them quite a bit, but I haven't seen what they can do with Shred stuff really.

What do you think?
With an OD, I think it may be possible. You'll never get bucketheads tone exactly since he uses tons of amps and other assorted gear.

What's your budget? You may be able to get a better amp for shred than a C30.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The Classic 30 is not a shred amp, or metal amp, or hard rock amp. It is best suited for lower-gain classic rock. It obviously has enough distortion to do hard rock, but I believe its tone is best when the gain is less than half.

These are just my thoughts, and this is coming from someone who usually plays with the gain at 25% or on the clean channel.

I'm gonna go with a straight up no.

What's your budget?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
if you replace the tubes in it like my buddy did it can get a really nice crunch to it it can pull of a coheed and cambria sound pritty well and liek judas priest and hokked up with a good drive pedal it screams
Quote by Kevin Saale
With an OD, I think it may be possible. You'll never get bucketheads tone exactly since he uses tons of amps and other assorted gear.

What's your budget? You may be able to get a better amp for shred than a C30.

I know...

I really love the tone of the C30, and both Steve Vai, and Buckethead play pretty cleanly to my ears. It doesn't seem like I would need the distortion of a Mesa Boogie to get his tone.

See, I don't have much money right now. I have like $240. I was looking in to trading in my Ludwig drum set that I never use, and then covering the extra with the $240. If not, then I would put the drum set on consignment and wait.

My local shop has 2 C30's and 2 C50's. All of those amps sound amazing, and for my money, I don't think I could do a whole lot better.... If you can find me something else in the $400 range, then I guess that's cool, but I don't want a ValveKing.
Quote by TheArcadeFire
I know...

I really love the tone of the C30, and both Steve Vai, and Buckethead play pretty cleanly to my ears. It doesn't seem like I would need the distortion of a Mesa Boogie to get his tone.

See, I don't have much money right now. I have like $240. I was looking in to trading in my Ludwig drum set that I never use, and then covering the extra with the $240. If not, then I would put the drum set on consignment and wait.

My local shop has 2 C30's and 2 C50's. All of those amps sound amazing, and for my money, I don't think I could do a whole lot better.... If you can find me something else in the $400 range, then I guess that's cool, but I don't want a ValveKing.

As I recall, Buckethead uses Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifiers at the moment. You might want to save up some more and look at a Traynor YCV50 BLUE or a B-52 AT112 (supposedly the poor man's Mesa) if you don't want a Valveking.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
As I recall, Buckethead uses Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifiers at the moment. You might want to save up some more and look at a Traynor YCV50 BLUE or a B-52 AT112 (supposedly the poor man's Mesa) if you don't want a Valveking.

It would take me a really really long time to save up enough for the Traynor, so I don't want to do that.

About the B-52, I don't know of a place where I could try one out. I have been to the closest GC, and they only have the stack version, which I didn't play. Not to mention I can't get a deal on that like I might be able to with the C30.

I also play Classic to Modern rock, so Shred is not the only thing I will be using this for.

Can anyone tell me a bit about their experience with owning this amp?
It has a vintage voice, so it might not be best for whatever you consider modern rock. As I stated above, I like the distortion on this far less than half (usually 25%). I think it's better for low-gain blues and classic rock than it is for modern rock and shred. Vai and Buckethead may play cleanly to your ears, but I can guarantee they use a lot more gain than what I feel is the "sweet spot" on the amp.