I am looking to get a low price practice tube amp. I am looking to pay up to 200 dollars which gives me about 5 options. I am looking at the Crate V5, Crate V18, Epiphone Valve Jr., Peavey ValveKing Royal 8, and the Fender Champion 600. I just need an amp that I can easily travel with and keep next to my computer, but would still like to have some good tone.
Fender Champ all the way. I plan on getting one myself quite soon: it's probably the best-sounding cleans out of any of them, and I love that.

If that's not what you're looking for, well then, um, I dunno.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I've plugged into all but the V18. Valve junior has better tone then the others. You'll have to try the V18.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
you say practice amp - do you have another amp?
when you say travel - do you mean to band practice, like with a drummer?
what type of music do you play?
can you look at used gear and if so where do you live roughly?
can you play any of these amps somewhere or are you doing internet only?
PS - tube amps can pick up feedback off computer monitors if it is going to be 'next' to computer.
If you're just travelling, etc, instead of getting a small valve amp, I'd reccommend a Vox Valvetronix (AD15VT should be good for your price) or a Roland Cube. They're light, small and compact, have a lot of effects, and sound great. They're a pure bargain. Or if you want to go smaller than them, maybe the micro-cube or the Vox DA5.
the vj would be the choice for me super easy and cheap to mod. the 6" speaker in the fender is a hadicap. and it's just my opinion but i'm kinda skeptical about the crates. not very often have i seen a company cut the prices on their amps by half. but thats just me.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
PS - tube amps can pick up feedback off computer monitors if it is going to be 'next' to computer.

Please answer these q's so we can actually be helpful, thanks.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Please answer these q's so we can actually be helpful, thanks.

i think the problem is we are getting too good at these type of threads since they are SO few and far between and the TS doesnt have time to keep up! lol

but yea....answer the questions and all your dreams will be fulfilled.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The tone on my valve junior is nice, but I prefer my new v18. It's an all around better amp for around the same price. Once the bass is dialed back, it has a very nice tone. It's limited cleans are on par with the valve junior and it's crunch is more dynamic and well defined than the VJ's. It also sounds good at lower volumes than the epi. You really don't have to open it up that much to get throaty articulate tones.
I am going to say that the Roland Microcube would be your best choice.

Its light, sounds good, has an aux in so you can plug your MP3/computer into it and play along

Runs on batterys so its totally portable...

Great little practice amp
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

1. Yeah I have a Peavey ValveKing as my main amp.
2. I mean if I went somewhere (less trunk space).
3. Blues, Blues Rock, Classic Rock, and Folk
4. I think so Galesburg, IL about 40 minutes away from Peoria.
5. I am sure my local guitar stores could have some of them and if not I can journey to Peoria and check out Guitar Center, but I will order off of the internet because of the no sales tax and free shipping.
6. I had never heard of the feedback thing its not right next to it just like near it so I can look at tabs and stuff without printing them off.

sorry for the late response.
Used Fender Champ XD get's my vote. Or Vibro Champ. Or old Champ, or Crate VC3112 used.
New - Crate V18-112.
i concur with gregs. And the Crate V18 is still on sale for $149.

i saw an Epi Valve Jr in Peoria off craigslist that was $220

out of your range but I also saw a:
Mesa Single Recto combo for $1,100
a Marshal JCM 900 head for $500
Peavey Classic 50 combo for $450 in Bloomington.
an old Peavey Transtube 100 head for $125 in Pekin.
Crate Stealth 100 head for $150
Tube Works 7100 hybrid combo (by Genz) $250

just to give you an idea - again not recommending

also call the GC and ask them what they have used.
Yeah I check Craigslist quite often. I am definately leading towards the V18 I watched some demos today and it sounds real nice.
Quote by Stratman54
Yeah I check Craigslist quite often. I am definately leading towards the V18 I watched some demos today and it sounds real nice.

When playing clean stuff on the V18, I tend to keep the bass control at about 10:00 or 11:00, any more and it gets muddy. Maybe a speaker swap would cure that or a tube re-thinking. But it's a great amp for the price. Maybe add a cheap Fish n Chips to tame it down?