I recently got this very cheap 75$ guitar. It feels like the neck isn't even finished though. It has a freshly sanded wood feel to it. I beleive it's rosewood but I'm not sure but is there something I can spray on it to make it more smooth and playable and not feel like raw wood?
its been my experience that your not supposed to actually even touch the wood with the strings. pressing to hard can create loads of wrong notes and stress on your hands.
Quote by Preid
plants are basicly sex organs on stems, pollen is airbourn jizzum.

So all us hayfever suffers are allergic to plant jizz...
i personally love unfinished necks, but you might want to finish the fretboard, im not sure what effect the strings would have on it, prob just some scratches
If it's rosewood it shouldn't be finished. You should sand it starting with 320 than 600 grit than with 0000 steel wool (make sure not to mask off the pickups or something or take the neck off it will stick to the pickups and is hard to get off). After that you should be happy with it.
They sell some fretboard juice in the guitar stores for pretty cheap.. not stain, but something else.

I used to put pledge furniture polish on mine all the ****ing time. I don't care if my guitar lasts for 30 years or not, though, really... it seems fine though after 10 years of pledge.
Quote by jazzman07
its been my experience that your not supposed to actually even touch the wood with the strings. pressing to hard can create loads of wrong notes and stress on your hands.

Man, that's really tough to do on fretless basses. Just play open notes and that's it.
Lem Oil will make that fretboard look nice and will moisten it (oooooh er)
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
sanding & wool as mentioned here. take down all the burs.

bowling alley wax will smooth & protect it. make a test area first
Quote by MobBarley
Man, that's really tough to do on fretless basses. Just play open notes and that's it.

However, we're not talking about a fretless bass here
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by jazzman07
its been my experience that your not supposed to actually even touch the wood with the strings.

what a pile of codswallop !!
Quote by hippyheaven1
what a pile of codswallop !!

It amazes me how people can play the guitar but pay so little attention to what they're actually doing.

When you fret a string it doesn't touch the fretboard - your fingers as the skin yields to the string but the string itself doesn't. You have to put a hell of a lot of pressure on a string to actually get it in contact with the wood and by doing so you'll send the note out of tune and also hurt your finger.

It's all physics - you have 24 or so inches of string that your pushing down to bring into contact with the fret, all well and good. Once that string touches a fret it will also be touching the fret behind. As soon as fhe frets become your points of contact you no longer have 24 inches of string, you've got 1 at the most and to push it all the way down to the wood you're going to need to effectively stretch it by about 5-10%...that's a hell of a lot of force and your finger is a lot softer than a string. You're not going to even move the string until you've compressed the flesh between the bone and the skin a fair bit and that's not really desirable..

Think before you type, otherwise you just look daft.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull

It amazes me how people can play the guitar but pay so little attention to what they're actually doing.

When you fret a string it doesn't touch the fretboard - your fingers as the skin yields to the string but the string itself doesn't. You have to put a hell of a lot of pressure on a string to actually get it in contact with the wood and by doing so you'll send the note out of tune and also hurt your finger.

It's all physics - you have 24 or so inches of string that your pushing down to bring into contact with the fret, all well and good. Once that string touches a fret it will also be touching the fret behind. As soon as fhe frets become your points of contact you no longer have 24 inches of string, you've got 1 at the most and to push it all the way down to the wood you're going to need to effectively stretch it by about 5-10%...that's a hell of a lot of force and your finger is a lot softer than a string. You're not going to even move the string until you've compressed the flesh between the bone and the skin a fair bit and that's not really desirable..

dude.... ive been playing guitar for some 20 odd years. Im actually quite good too. My strings do sometimes touch the fetboard - but somehow, magically, they dont go out of tune.

clever that innit.
Quote by steven seagull
As soon as fhe frets become your points of contact you no longer have 24 inches of string, you've got 1 at the most and to push it all the way down to the wood you're going to need to effectively stretch it by about 5-10%...

so you have magic frets that clamp the string to themselves when you fret a note?!?!?!

your still stretchin the rest of the string amigo

think before you type, or you just look stupid *rolls eyes*
Quote by hippyheaven1
dude.... ive been playing guitar for some 20 odd years. Im actually quite good too. My strings do sometimes touch the fetboard - but somehow, magically, they dont go out of tune.

clever that innit.

Damn, I'm only a noob at 19 years

The strings don't touch the fretboard, unless you're playing with unusually low tension. In normal playing at normal tensions they stay clear of the wood.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 10, 2008,
Quote by hippyheaven1

clever that innit.

You should have spent more time in school learning how to spell.
steven seagull is %100 correct here. I even grabbed my guitar and checked. Sure enough, the string does NOT touch the fretboard. your finger does, and thats where it stops. I put enough force to get the string to touch the fretboard and it was out of tune very noticeably.

Staying on topic; you should not spray gloss on the fretboard. If it is really that bad, do what someone else said and take some sanding to it. I suggest 600 grit sand paper, then 800 grit, then 1000 grit. That should get you to a relatively smooth state. Make sure you don't sand the frets, or it'll feel worse than it did before, especially if bending the string.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
steven seagull is %100 correct here. I even grabbed my guitar and checked. Sure enough, the string does NOT touch the fretboard. your finger does, and thats where it stops. I put enough force to get the string to touch the fretboard and it was out of tune very noticeably.

Staying on topic; you should not spray gloss on the fretboard. If it is really that bad, do what someone else said and take some sanding to it. I suggest 600 grit sand paper, then 800 grit, then 1000 grit. That should get you to a relatively smooth state. Make sure you don't sand the frets, or it'll feel worse than it did before, especially if bending the string.

jesus ****in christ dude... do NOT take sand paper to your fretboard.

PUT LEM OIL ON IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (you can buy it in guitar shops, strangely enuff)