Page 1 of 3
shred_it_up94
111 IQ
ok, so i really like stiff little fingers. theyre amazing. and it seems like none of my friends know who they are. wats up with that? does anyone else think stiff little fingers should get some recognition?
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
My cousin saw them last year.

I still can't look him in the eye.

I wish he knew how much I liked them beforehand.
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
I love Stiff Little Fingers and Ali McMordie. They're one of those bands who I have stuck with throughout their career.
Ska Wars
Call Marcus!
1,118 IQ
They seem like a band you "have" to like. But I honestly can't see myself ever listening to them again. Pretty boring, actually.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Their greatest hits album is great. And they're good live.

The studio stuff isn't as fun though, y'now.

And they completely over-arselick the clash.

And their frontman, Paddy O' Raugherty, wears glasses. NEEEERD¬!
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Sep 9, 2008,
TheCrowing2113
Punk <3
268 IQ
I like them They play round here like every October/November, gonna see them for the 2nd time this year
.:: Current Setup::.

ESP Ltd Viper 50
Line 6 Spider II 30W
Fender Squire Acoustic Guitar
Encore LP Copy
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Axl B35 Bass Amp

whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
they're awesome. I almost saw them in Boston once but I didn't want my image of an awesome punk band to be ruined by DROPKICK MURPHY'S shit head jock ass fans.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
lavazza
K**e sold out
7,304 IQ
Quote by BrianApocalypse
And they completely over-arselick the clash.

It had to come

On my version of Inflamable Material the last 15 minutes are an interview with Jake Burns. He says that they used to be a pub rock/hard rock band like Lynyrd Skynyrd, they just couldnßt play their instruments so well. When Never mind the bollocks came out (I think) their bassist put the tape in and Burns and him immediately thought they wanted to make similar music, the rest wasn´t convinced, but when they listened to The Clash´s self titled they had their idols.
I like them, but Brian is right in one way: the live version of Alternative Ulster is much better. My favourite songs are probably Wasted Life, Suspect Device, Fly the Flag, Bloody Sunday and Law and Order
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'
2,683 IQ
Did anyone ever see High Fidelity? They're all like "Yeah, the Stiff Little Fingers sound just like Green Day." I wanted to stab someone.

And whoever mentioned Inflammable Materials, holy shit do I love that album.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'
2,683 IQ
Lucky you. The movie was pretty decent but that shit ruined it for me.
neidnarb11890
so bored with the USA
270 IQ
Stiff Little Fingers are great. Inflammable Material is amazing, and Go For It (being the only other SLF album I own) is also good.

Did anyone ever see High Fidelity? They're all like "Yeah, the Stiff Little Fingers sound just like Green Day." I wanted to stab someone.

I thought it was awesome that SLF was mentioned/played in that movie. Also, (if my memory is correct), the guy says SLF was one of Green Day's influences, not that they sound just like Green Day.

I've only seen like 10 minutes of that movie when it was on VH1 that night, it just happened to be at that exact part. Weird, rite?
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'
2,683 IQ
Quote by neidnarb11890

I thought it was awesome that SLF was mentioned/played in that movie. Also, (if my memory is correct), the guy says SLF was one of Green Day's influences, not that they sound just like Green Day.

Yeah, he does, but then one chick in the background asks "Is this the new Green Day?", which implies that they have very similar sounds.
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
^ They do though. And GREEN DAY is awesome. Also when that movie was made they hadn't made 'American Idiot' or even 'Warning' yet so they still had some cred in my book. 'Dookie' is such a ****ing amazing album.

Yeah, I said it.
original=punk
Banned
2,482 IQ
I just got Dookie at a thrift store. it rox.

And I've honestly never listened to this band.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
I like Alternative Ulster. SLF seems pretty average though.
Hello.Kitty
UG Member
195 IQ
Dookie on cassette was the first piece of music I bought with my own money when I was a wee lad. I would never praise Green Day. But for some reason always find myself in debates with people who bash them.
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
234 IQ
Quote by original=punk
I just got Dookie at a thrift store. it rox.

And I've honestly never listened to this band.

grn day r sooo undrgrnd! it rlz noone lstns 2 thm!
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Mav-16
UG Senior Member
372 IQ
Yeah you guys forgot about how Stiff Little fingers are named after a Vibrators song didn't you???
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'
2,683 IQ
Quote by whyvern
^ They do though. And GREEN DAY is awesome. Also when that movie was made they hadn't made 'American Idiot' or even 'Warning' yet so they still had some cred in my book. 'Dookie' is such a ****ing amazing album.

Yeah, I said it.

I'm not in this thread to bash Green Day, I'm here because I still think if you compare Inflammable Material to Dookie they do not sound the same.
Ska Wars
Call Marcus!
1,118 IQ
Yeah, Dookie sounds a lot better.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
IlikeTheSKA
Respect my conglomerate
300 IQ
I have 5 albums.

All original pressings.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
mike2
967 IQ
Quote by Ska Wars
Yeah, Dookie sounds a lot better.

what the ****? what the ****?....what the ****?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
Quote by Greenfinger182
I'm not in this thread to bash Green Day, I'm here because I still think if you compare Inflammable Material to Dookie they do not sound the same.

I think they do in terms of the song writing and drumming styles. It's pretty easy to say that THE BUZZCOCKS and STIFF LITTLE FINGERS were a huge influence on CRIMPSHRINE who were a huge influence on GREEN DAY. HÜSKER DÜ was probably the bigger influence on both though for real. But if you listen to 'Dookie' with a critical ear you can hear alot of similarities to STIFF LITTLE FINGERS. Of course the vocal styles are completely different and that's how most people judge bands, but there's more to it than that.
lavazza
K**e sold out
7,304 IQ
Dookie was one of my first punk albums, but I go on thinking that you grow out of them. They´re are a perfect example for decent music which could be in the soundtrack of Road Trip or American Pie.
Whatever the productions of Dookie and Inflamable Material are really different the guitars (probably both play the same PC or Barrés) sound totally differently. But when somebody mentions this, Basket Case can be a perfect rip off of Wasted Life.
JohnnyBlunders
279 IQ
I love Stiff Little Fingers. But I seem to be the one person in the entire world whos favorite song by them is Rough Trade.
bman10030
Tool
289 IQ
Quote by Greenfinger182

ahh, john cusack is my hero.

Idk, I really think they remind me of green day except actually punk, idk why.
bman10030
Tool
289 IQ
CORRECTION MASSIVE CORRECTION

When Green day was on Lookout! in 1989-1994 I wanna say?

I don't remember the exact years.

Ahh, those were the days, being obsessed with green day, before knowing anything about punk.

but I listen to more than punk, I wouldn't really consider myself one at all.
bman10030
Tool
289 IQ
Quote by whyvern
I think they do in terms of the song writing and drumming styles. It's pretty easy to say that THE BUZZCOCKS and STIFF LITTLE FINGERS were a huge influence on CRIMPSHRINE who were a huge influence on GREEN DAY. HÜSKER DÜ was probably the bigger influence on both though for real. But if you listen to 'Dookie' with a critical ear you can hear alot of similarities to STIFF LITTLE FINGERS. Of course the vocal styles are completely different and that's how most people judge bands, but there's more to it than that.

THANK YOU.

But I don't think dookie sounds like it... Maybe kerplunk or those first eps/lp/compilation song thing.
bman10030
Tool
289 IQ
Quote by whyvern

Yeah, I said it.

dookie was actually good, but it ISN'T PUNK at all. It's just....music....

But like, green day were posers, even in their initial years, 1987-94 or whenever, they were not punk, but leaving the "gilman street" or w/e for a major label is the most ****ing dicksuck **** licker move, and then "billie joe", which isn't his real name, going BACK to the gilman with "pinhead gunpowder" this year, leaves me wondering, wouldn't their base that they left behind want to shoot him or beat the living shit out of him? seriously, what an asshole. He is seriously a hypocritical egotistical greedy choad, he should go die. And what is with that shitty eyeliner? God, someone should give him two black eyes so he can save money.

Warning was also a good album, wow, NOT PUNK, just rock/soft-rock I guess, pretty melodic songs IMO. Still not punk, but do I have to right to find any of the pre-American Idiot era music good or had once found it good? I'm not considering it punk at all, but I don't see why you aren't allowed to like it. Of course I can still hate them as people, but as musicians in the former years?

I actually kinda am bored of all their music now though, because of my obsession period. Their old music will forever be engraved in my brain.
bman10030
Tool
289 IQ
Quote by JohnnyBlunders
I dont think they do. But I suppose I cant argue it

I suck at explaining myself, so it's hard to argue it myself.

But wow, listening to stiff little fingers, green day ripped them off SOOO badly.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
^Learn to edit posts. And what do you mean when you say Billie Joe Armstrong isn't his real name?