I own a Gibson SG (which i'm selling) and an Epiphone LP Custom Zakk Wylde with some new EMG81/85 pups I just put in. I find the LP a little too "gainy" when it comes to playing Hendrix/Zeppelin/Clapton which I love doing. I am selling my Gibson soon and was looking to pick up something that can play blues/rock well. Something a little more mellow. Of course a USA Strat is at the top of my list but what else would you guys suggest?
Yeah, that SG should be able to handle it....

But, tell you what. If you're looking for something more Fender-ish, go about getting one of the new Squier Classic Vibe Strats or Teles. Sub-$300 guitars that are getting better reviews than the entry-level MIM Fenders. You can't go wrong.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
One of Clapton's most famous guitars was an SG, you probably just need a different amp is all.
Someone offered me a pretty good price for the SG and i've had it for a few years so i want to switch is up. My amp is a Roland Cube 20X
ya I know how to set up an amp...it's the active pickups...just doesn't sound the same. I also love switching up my guitars every few years but never really spend over $1000. My SG has lasted me a while but it's time to part ways and I love my LP. I've been eyeing this beauty for a while.

Quote by aznmetalhead93
SGs don't have active pickups though...

He's talking about the LP obviously.
GEAR:
Vantage Ghost Gibson "The Paul" copy
Fender FM-100H half-stack
Regal vintage 30W class A amp head (handcrafted in Montreal)
Well I bought something completely different than what i was looking for. I ended up getting an LTD EC-1000 in vintage black. These are so hard to come by in stores in my area and online in Canada. The wait time is at least 3 months and they are usually sold within weeks. I was lucky enough that a store had one left, i tested it and i fell in love. I am going to sell the LP eventually and just keep the SG instead like some people mentioned. I will post pictures when i pick it up. I have never tried an LTD or ESP because many of the guitar stores here don't even carry them or are sold out pretty quickly.
But the EC-1000 has active EMG's (well, just like your Epi LP). You won't get a nice blues tone from that. But hey, just get whatever you like.

As others have said, the SG should be excelling in blues and classic rock...
Lefty Black Gibson SG Special with EMG 60/85
15w Laney Hard Core Max
SG Commando

Quote by donkey the wise
I think plod just won the thread. All 1,019 pages of it. Won.
Quote by Steve Plod
But the EC-1000 has active EMG's (well, just like your Epi LP). You won't get a nice blues tone from that. But hey, just get whatever you like.

As others have said, the SG should be excelling in blues and classic rock...

LOL, did you just happen to skip over my last post? I said that i got the EC-1000 to replace the LP and that I was keeping the SG for my blues playing. I was going to go with an American strat to replace the SG and keep the LP but I fell in love with the EC-1000 and that neck.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Why don't you get the Roland Cube 30? - Or better yet, the 60, so you'll be able to play in a band situation.
The 20 doesn't have any of the modeling...I'm sure, with the COSM modeling, you can easily find settings that quench your tonal thirst.

I've gone through the whole band phase. I'm in my late 20's and married so my priorities are elsewhere. Thing is, I do plan on upgrading my amp. I'm been eyeing the VOX AD50VT. According to my wife I have to invest in a good pair of headphones before anything else
What your missing is reverb bro. Go test a Holy Grail and see if adding that in would do the trick. I understand your gass'n for a strat, I get that. Good luck.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 10, 2008,