So, yes, a while back, I posted a thread about how my Fuzz Face clone was depressed, as he didn't work well with most amps I ended up playing on.

Well, the final straw just came about. I was given a Fender SS amp, the Stage 112 SE, by a friend of my dad's. it's a 100 watter (more with an extension cabinet), so this is gonna be my gigging amp. My fuzz doesn't like it in the least. not enough sustain, and too harsh and brittle sounding.

The Fuzz Face has got to go. It CAN sound good, when it's got a good tube amp working with it, but I just don't have the means to bring it to its full potential. If any of you are interested in a sale or trade, I suppose I'm open to that.

So, help me out here.

I'm looking for a fuzz-type pedal that will work well with a solid state amp. That's what I'll be needing, with the current situation and all.

Throw me some suggestions here. I'm a bit of a Gilmour fanatic, so a Big Muff or BM clone is an idea I'm open to. I've heard the RAT can sound rather fuzzy at times. I'm really considering the new Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz, as it sounds amazing for being so cheap. However, as I have a birthday coming up in October, I have no real limitation as to price: anything under $200 will do me fine.

I'd prefer it to be under $100, though.

So, what do I want?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I think the NYC Big Muff is a bit thin and harsh, not all that versatile with good amps - especially limited with solid states. Have you considered a ram's head replica? I think they're a lot more full bodied and generally better than the NYC BMP (which I own). I'm not certain how they'd respond to solid states though. Are you certain you want to gear your sound around that amp though? Why not save towards a good amp and keep the fuzz face?
I guess I wouldn't have expected a fuzz pedal to work on a solid state amp real well. Maybe I'm wrong.

If you want to sell it on UG take over to the Classifieds section then gear.

i'm looking at the Cool Cat fuzz too for my valve amp...there was good youtuber of it if I can find it.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 8, 2008,
I just got the new MXR Fuzz today and it is great. I am not sure how good it will sound through a solid state amp. I tried through a fender tube at the store and then played it through my valve king at home. just my 2 cents.
Well, frankly, prior to this my amp was a Epi Valve Jr., which I used extensively for practice but isn't going to be big enough for gigs. The Fender will, so I feel I should be suiting my gear to match this amp.

And besides, if I can get it to sound good on a solid state amp, it'll sound great with a tube amp, yes?

As to the Cool Cat, yeah, I've found several Youtube samples for it. it's a bit like a silicon fuzz face mixed with a muff, and something else, as far as tone goes, and I like that. I'll probably get one just to try it, it's only $30....

A Ram's Head Muff replica sounds quite alright to me. I'm thinking a BYOC Large Beaver built to Ram's Head specs would do fine, as that would provide me with the option to boost the mids. As you see here, the Beaver has more "cut": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy2kiZBadtk

The Double Muff has caught my eye for a while now as well. I haven't had a chance to try one out, but I will look into it and see if I like the sort of fuzz it puts out.

Other opinions, anyone?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
They're stock, so whatever speaker Fender happened to be using in the late 80s/early 90s. If it was at home at the moment, I'd go check, but it's not.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I would suggest trying it out on an amp with new speakers before you invest in something new. My amp's speakers are poo (after being stupid and destroying them) and give me the same sound you've described.

No se, I'm new..
Dorkus.
No, I don't believe it's the speaker's fault. The guy who used to own the amp, the guitarist in my dad's band, never had a problem with the speaker (granted, he typically used the dirt channel, whereas I'm mainly using the clean). In addition, it sounds fine on the clean channel minus the Fuzz Face.

That said, a speaker upgrade may be a good idea, at some point in the future. it couldn't hurt things, at least.

At the moment, though, my problem is indeed the Fuzz. I need something that will interact well with a SS Fender clean channel. That's what I've got to work with.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
no offense, because you seem set on working with your ss fender (and I have one too) but it doesn't seem to be the right amp to 'match your current gear' or however you said it. Fuzz, Blues Driver, Overdrive?

Are you keeping the Epi and can it be mic'ed? Could give you best of both worlds.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
no offense, because you seem set on working with your ss fender (and I have one too) but it doesn't seem to be the right amp to 'match your current gear' or however you said it. Fuzz, Blues Driver, Overdrive?

Are you keeping the Epi and can it be mic'ed? Could give you best of both worlds.

Frankly, the Fender was a gift, and it does all I need it to do. No other "gigging amp" in my price range is capable of being that clean at that loud a volume, so I'm completely fine with rebuilding my pedalboard around it. it'll end up being cheaper than getting a new amp, after all.

Well, the OD-1 is a fair match with it: it was also the aforementioned guitarist's pedal at one point, and he used it on the Fender. The Blues Driver, I dunno, I might just keep around for recording purposes.

The reason I have a fuzz, is because I just can't enjoy regular distortion much anymore. It worked well with my Epi, and I may keep it, again, for recording purposes.

I intend to sell my Valve Jr. and get a Fender Champ 600 in its place, for home practice. That's one thing the SS Fender can't do: be a quiet amp. it goes pretty much from "off" to "holy shit". not practical for home use.

Do I make sense?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
alright man, sure.

Still, what are my major options here, everybody? BM? RAT? what?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
In that price range, there are 3 fuzzes you can get commercially; The Big Muff, the Cool Cat, and the Boss FZ-2. No one likes the Boss, including me.

I own a BM reissue, and it works well for me. I'm going to assume that the Stage 112 sounds better than a frontman, am I right?

If that be the case, try mixing the fuzz with the amp gain and find a happy medium.

Also, PM Bostonrocks, as he builds custom fuzzes and sells them pretty cheap.
Its hard to get a good fuzz sound out of modern high gain transistors. The old ones used low gain germanium which had to be tuned so each pedal was a little different. And were pretty tempermental. The are plenty you could build as a fuzz pedal is pretty simple in design. Or find a good kit. I have used my FET based fuzz pedal on my little SS but I dont expect great tone out of it. But it does sound really good with a tube amp.
have you tried messing with the EQ while the fuzz face is on? I say try that all options before ditching an awesome pedal. Then when you find something you like, switch back to clean and see if you like the clean tone.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
MXR Classic 108?
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
i meant the onboard EQ of his amp. but if buying a EQ pedal will help, i dont see whynot.

but try the amp's EQ first...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I tried fiddling with the EQ controls, yes. It's just the nature of the Fuzz Face circuit, I think: the mojo only really starts with the tubes properly saturated.

That said, I never tried using it on the dirty channel. A low gain on the dirt channel, mixed in with the Fuzz Face, might get me where I need to be. Next time I'm at practice, I'll certainly try that out.

And, yes, the Stage 112 does indeed sound better than the Frontman. Quite a bit better. Check out the Harmony Central reviews, if you want a good scope of it.

So then, barring the Cool Cat Fuzz (which I'll order within the next few days, I don't have a problem chancing $30 on an untested pedal), it looks like some sort of Big Muff is what I'm after, based on the Ram's Head Muff?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Alright then man, good luck and let us know how it works out!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals