Page 1 of 2
ok i have about 200 dollars right now and my current set up amp wise is a little spider 2 30 watt with a boss distortion. my band just started giging and i need something bigger and better. so i found a spider 3 hd75 head. which is modeled after a dual rectifyer which is also the amp of my dreams but i dont have that kind of money right now. so should i save up for the head and a cab or buy a fbv pedal and something else for my current amp. what do you think.
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
i want to buy a hello kitty guitar than play it at a gig...
itll be like guitar solo than i pull out the kitty-caster and BAMMM
Save.

Don't waste your money; you will just want something better within a year. (believe me; it happened to me).

I'm assuming you play metal since that's really the only tone people who like spiders play.
Get about $500 saved and go get a used 5150 combo or something of similar construction. You will thank yourself so much.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
ya its more metal alternative like chevelle, thousand foot krutch, stuff like that. i just want a distorted bassy but very tight tone
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
allright after hearing some of the sansamp gt2 pedal i think thats what i need. now other than a valve junior what other types of amps could i run this through?
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
The VJ isn't really a metal amp, it's more for AC/DC or Led Zepplin type sounds. I suggest you save if you can stand your spider
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Ok, sell the Boss and the Spider. You have $200, so let's say you have $300 after the sales and some savings. Two questions left.
Would you prefer better gear used to "bleh" gear new?
What part of the world do you live in, near what major city?
Let us know so we can try to help you.
^Good questions.

As for the people recommending the VJs, no. It's not loud enough and it definitely won't do metal.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by gregs1020
Ok, sell the Boss and the Spider. You have $200, so let's say you have $300 after the sales and some savings. Two questions left.
Would you prefer better gear used to "bleh" gear new?
What part of the world do you live in, near what major city?
Let us know so we can try to help you.

alright i have some people who i could sell those too. and i dont understand your first question. and 2 i live about an hour from a city but i could go there whenever pretty much. but i live in a small town about 2 miiles from 2 other small towns
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
so you need to buy something for gigging with $200?

hhhmmmmm i think the Crate V50s are $200

50 watt tube amp
Quote by fendr15
alright i have some people who i could sell those too. and i dont understand your first question. and 2 i live about an hour from a city but i could go there whenever pretty much. but i live in a small town about 2 miiles from 2 other small towns

What I mean is you get better gear if you buy used. New you won't get much for $200-300. Crate V18, V50 and a bad monkey maybe. But used you could score a Peavey Classic 30, delta blues, old Crate VC3112, Palomino V32, used Valveking etc.
Search craigslist in that city you live near to see what is available used if you can.
Example... http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/834177149.html
alright. i'll look into some of those.
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
what about a b-52 ls 100. i heard that b-52's are like poor mans mesa's. do they really have the tight bassy tone though? cuz i could get that in a half stack for 600 which seems like a really good deal to me
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
well if thats a good deal and that amp gives the kind of tone i want i might as well go for it.
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
Quote by fendr15
well if thats a good deal and that amp gives the kind of tone i want i might as well go for it.

True. It takes a bit more effort to lug around tho. And how did we go from $300 to $600? Because at $600, it's a whole new ballgame. Much better amps than that B-52 at $600 - that's good too but there is better at that price. Not trying to be adversarial, just pointing out fact.
Quote by fendr15
what about a b-52 ls 100. i heard that b-52's are like poor mans mesa's. do they really have the tight bassy tone though? cuz i could get that in a half stack for 600 which seems like a really good deal to me

when i played the ls series it sounded pretty terrible, the at series could give you sounds close to a mesa, and for a 1x12 combo its $50 cheaper then the stack, but you should look used
well if i had 300 another 300 wouldnt take too long to work up. what could i get for 600 thats good and sounds like a mesa
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
If it doesn't take you long to get 300 then just save up for a little while and get a Mesa
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by fendr15
well if i had 300 another 300 wouldnt take too long to work up. what could i get for 600 thats good and sounds like a mesa

I have seen Mesa F-30's for $650. Save up if you have a little time. Deal with the spider and then you will REALLY appreciate it when you upgrade.
get a roland cube

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
well i have seen some of the b-52 at-100's on ebay for 150. which is only the head but i could find some kind of cheap cabnet. what do you think.
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
nice. is there any good video's out on the internet talking about the sounds of the b-52 at-100? cuz i cant find any
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
You could save up ($600) and get a great amp, or spend $400 for a very good amp I guess is my point.
ill save up 600 lol.
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
Quote by Highwaytohell
You could get a used Mesa F-series amp or DC-2 or .50 caliber for 600 bucks...

out of those 3 which one sounds the most mark iv ish?
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
i think the .50cal but it has a really bad clean is what i have heard about it. is it true?
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
i can get more than 200
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
i think im going to go with the b-52 at-100 if i can find one on ebay. hopefully my guitarcenter will have one in stock so i could play one. cuz all of those mesa's have stuff that i just couldn't stand lol. good choice or a bad choice??
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
Quote by gregs1020
For $350, great choice, for $600, bad choice.

what do you mean
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
do you mean get the b-52for 350 but not for 600??
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
i don't mean to speak for gregs1020 but what I think he was trying to say is a B-52 used for $350 is a great value. A B-52 new for $600, not so much (or not as much). Another used amp for $600 is even better. Like the Mesa's Highway pointed out.

And man, you are one bumpy sum beach!
Page 1 of 2