I know scales are useful for learning how to play and what, but thats really not what i'm talking about here. From what i've heard, people say you should spend quite a bit of time practicing scales, but i'm not sure if my time could be spent better in another method.

On weekdays I practice from 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours daily (school, other interests in my life also) and I spend a little under half my time while on the guitar practicing scales. According to a book i've purchased, it says your prettymuch gonna do these exercises for the rest of your life because it helps with playing clean and you'll gain speed over time. but could I not also benefit just from playing songs and such?

I mean I really dont dislike practicing scales, but spending up to 90 minutes a weekday on them gets kinda dull.

So, keep with scales? or spend my time on somthing else with the guitar?
If your scale knowlage is good enough, and you can play them at a good tempo, then yes, do something else, if not, practice!
Not saying you should only practice scales, but they're a pretty vital part of any music.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
scales are important - however everyone learns differently...you gotta go with what you like and what is going to challenge you to get better, if thats what you want. you wont get awesome by simply covering random songs...unless you are some prodigy

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
if you just practice songs then you'll turn into that guy at guitar center who just plays AC/DC, and no one wants to be that guy. Scales also help a lot with jamming and writing songs, so they're good to know
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
If you want to write your own songs or go into music theory, then yes. Otherwise, its' totally optional.
When i practice scales I...
Practice the scale with every note normally picked.
Aka ascending the fretboard then decending
Practice the scale with legato.
Practice the most complex riffs i know using that scale.
Then legato again
Then Asc. and Dec. again

Then i switch scales.
Eliminate repetition.
This makes it much less boring.
i play scale to learn atl picking, finger exercise, speed exercise, tempo exercise
Bedroom Set up:

ESP LTD EC-400 with 81/60 EMG
Yamaha SJ550HR, 1980's Strat (rare guitar)
Crate v18
Digitech Bad Monkey
Vintage 30 Speaker
Metal Muff

Saving up for ESP Uruha's Signature Guitar
Yeah scales are really worth it.

90 mins just running through your scales does seem like overkill though, once going through them for a while, maybe you should try improvising your own solo over random songs so you can get a feel for improvising using these scales you've been practicing. It's a lot of fun too
Playing scales isn't all that much use, learning scales is...they're not the same thing. Scales aren't supposed to be played, they're supposed to be used to make music with. If you want to make them useful then create exercises that you can incorporate into your playing from scales.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
if ur getting bored of scales make it interesting and harder. research teh scales and modes, say the notes out loud as u play them, this will help u with remembering the notes as well and if u want to be any good at soloing u need to know ur scales.
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote by steven seagull
Playing scales isn't all that much use, learning scales is...they're not the same thing. Scales aren't supposed to be played, they're supposed to be used to make music with. If you want to make them useful then create exercises that you can incorporate into your playing from scales.

True, running scales up and down doesn't help to much. It helps a little to see all the notes when your improvising but even that is a bit impratical.