Ok here is my situation. I have a Dean Vendetta XM and a crappy Peavey Transtube 258 amp that cannot give me the tone I want. I would like to buy a decent multi-effects pedal. I heard that Boss is the way to go but do not buy a Gt-10 because you can buy a Gt-8 for cheaper with the same effects. Now I'm interested in the Gt-8 but was wondering how different it is from the Gt-6. Anything will help.
You can't get the 8 or the 6 new, they're both discontinued. I think the 8 added a lot of flexibility in getting modern type sounds.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
I know I have to get it used. I want a unit that can go from super clean to punk/hardcorish, to classic metal, to blues, to death metal, etc.
What are you going to play it through? Can't speak to the Boss, but my POD does not like my Peavy transtube 110 at all. It's the only amp i have that I don't hook the POD into. If your planning on using your 258 you better try it first.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Im playing it through my 258. I thought that if I play it through a crappy amp, I can use the amp modelers to fix it?
If the speaker sucks, the tone you're going to get from any kind of multi-effects pedal or amp modeler is going to suck. You might want to get like a PA speaker or something like that (hell, plug it in to some computer speakers if you have some, and it'll sound pretty good).
I don't know. I run my POD through a Vox and it's ok. Not great, but better then the vox by itself. Same with my PA. When I run it through my peavey there is just to much color on most of the settings. It's like the clean channel still provides something the POD just doesn't like. Some models still sound good, but overall I don't care for it. Again though mines the 110 efx (40 watt, 1x10 blue marvel speaker). Not the same animal as your 258. And i do like the speaker in that amp when played on it's own. I think it's the preamp that's the problem with all the efx. Just take your amp with you when you try it out. You may not have the same problem I do.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
You're gonna need a new amp.
A modeling processor won't fix a crappy amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
You're gonna need a new amp.
A modeling processor won't fix a crappy amp.

Never heard truer words.

TS, I know it's not what you want to hear, but a better amp will make you sound a lot better than a ton of amp models and dodgy effects (trust me, I've gone down that route).

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

You will be able to get the sounds your after with the GT-8, I have it and you can get all the sounds you mentioned, BUT. What it wont be able to fix is the bass you here, BIG amps sound good because basically they move a lot of air. You will find that it will sound a little tiny. An easy solution is if you have a cheap little bass amp around you can use that with the dual outputs.

Or you can listen through headphones which I think sounds pretty good.