So I decided I want to get a pretty cheap acoustic to play around on while im at college. I really just want something that is playable and wont fall apart. I was hoping for something <$200. The only problem is that I am a lefty. Ive been searching all day and found a couple, but Id like some input from you guys.
Alvarez RD20SL is a good buy. I own one and it's a great sounding and playing guitar for a low price. I paid close to $300 for mine, but you may be able to get one used for less, or try Musiciansfriend.com.
Whatever you decide on, make sure it has at the very least a solid wood soundboard. It can have laminate back and sides, but the soundboard is far more crucial to sound production than the rest of the guitar, besides the quality of strings that is.
You are right tho, there's not many guitars available for us lefty's is there? It's a shame too because there's a lot more of us out here in the world than the guitar makers realize.
I did see that one, it has been one of my choices. Zzounds.com has it for $254 shipped. I may just go with that one.

Thanks dave

edit:just bought it.
Last edited by basso4735 at Sep 9, 2008,
Zzounds good to me! lol
Let me know if you need any help with string choices or anything else to do with the guitar. I'm fairly well versed with this and a few other Alvarez models.
Oh, and you have to promise to post some pics of it when it comes in. I particularly want to see the back grain. I dig mine. The gold highlights of the mahogany really stand out, especially outside in the sun.
Quote by LeftyDave
Zzounds good to me! lol
Let me know if you need any help with string choices or anything else to do with the guitar. I'm fairly well versed with this and a few other Alvarez models.
Oh, and you have to promise to post some pics of it when it comes in. I particularly want to see the back grain. I dig mine. The gold highlights of the mahogany really stand out, especially outside in the sun.

Definitely! I'll see how it plays when it comes in. Should be here in 2-3 days, it shipped a few hours after I ordered it.

Dave you're making me wish I already had it!

I was a bit apprehensive buying it before playing it, but there are no music stores closer than an hour away and im at school so I just had go balls to the wall and buy it.

Actually, I'll ask right now, what do you recommend for strings because I need to make a musicians friend order in a couple days.
I've had huge success with the D'Addario EJ16's Phosphor Bronze. They're uncoated .012's(lights) and sound really nice. I made an upgrade on my Alvy to a bone bridge saddle, but yours will come stock with the plastic one same as mine had. For yours in the beginning I'd say to try either these or Elixer Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze, also in lights. Either of these strings will sound nice.
I also like the Martin Silk & Steels with the silvered outer wrap wire. They sound very nice, but don't last as long as the others. What they excel at is tuning stability, especially if you know how to pre-stretch them as you are installing them. I've had set's of those on that will hold their tune upwards of a week straight, with no tweaking necessary!
The RD20SL will sound fab with any of these 3. And it is a good idea to swap out the factory strings right away. More than likely they've been on there for quite some time already and have lost a lot of their tone.
Alright sounds good. Just curious since I cant find it anywhere, what size strings come on it from the factory. Lights(12s)?
Yep, lights .012's. But guaranteed they'll be Elixer Polywebs, which I can't stand. The coating on them is so damn thick and they sound flat, dull and lifeless to me. Matter of fact, I've got a brand new set sitting here on my pc desk that I was given back in Christmas last yr. I've gone through like 6 other sets since then and just refuse to put them on. They are a last resort only. It's just me tho. The nano's have a way thinner coating on them, making them feel much more like uncoated strings. And they sound a lot better. lol
Yeah the coating on them is gross. The guitar actually showed up today. One thing though, the strings come really loose on it, and when i was tuning it up, the neck the neck creaked slightly once. I assume it was because there hasnt really been any tension on it for a while. Or is this a problem?
It's probably not the neck creaking that you're hearing but rather the strings creaking in the nut slots. Dab a tiny amount of vasoline onto each slot as you are stringing up the new set and that sound will disappear. Make damn sure not to get any lube on the tuning posts tho. I'm sure you can figure out why.
You'll be fine once you get a new set of strings on it and bring it back up to concert pitch.
Try to keep it in a relatively controlled atmosphere if you can. Meaning temperature and humidity should remain constant at about 70 degrees and about 45% rH(relative humidity).
These are ballpark figures that guitars(and people) like and feel most comfortable in. Drastic changes are bad for both. Gradual, slow changes are ok as it gives the guitar the time it needs to acclimate. Just a little extra tip to help you along.
Remember the pics!
She sure looks familiar, gee, where've I seen one of those before? lol
How do you like her? They play and sound great for their price don't they? Now, you'll have to upgrade the bridge saddle to bone and really unlock the sound. I did it and it made a HUGE difference in tone, volume and sustain. Mine now sounds more like a $1500 guitar than a lowly $300 model. Quite impressive.
Gotta love that glowing mahogany back huh! And I see yours has the newer style bridge. Ignore what you may have read at the Alvarez site about it being the Direct Coupled bridge, it's not. If it were, the part of the bridge where the strings come through would be separate from the rest of it. Those are only available on the Alvarez/Yairi models. It's made to resemble the DC bridge is all.
Nice tight grain on the Sitka Spruce top too I see. Sweet!
Yeah its great. It went through hell during last year at college and it still sounds great. I will look into the bone saddle.