Page 1 of 2
hey!
ive been playing guitar for about 6 months now and have really enjoyed it with only a few set backs. a while back i had an itching for bass but promptly dismissed it.

it came back again last week,... then i saw opeth over the weekend and realised how much a bass can and does add to a song, and have been picking up bass lines since.

i have a few basic questions... yes i have read the FAQ but i need a few opinions.

first of all : i started with a fender guitar pack... turns out it was pretty crappy... amp doesnt last... guitar is rather shoddy quality parts... i guess its what you expect from basic basic stuff. so in short, are bass beginner packs any good at all or should i be better off to invest in a decent bass like the ones in the faq... and a decent amp? and then maybe some books or something?

other than this site, any decent reference sites going around? theres a few really good guitar ones, but it seems this is slightly less so for bass.

cheers, hope i get some help here so yeh thanks in advance =)
I’m quite new to the bass as well,

I did some investigation and for my tastes the squier basses just didn’t feel right and being a newbie I didn’t know if I should choose a P or J bass. I tested quite a few basses and it came down to a choice between the Yamaha RBX170 and the Ibanez GSR200 (both have a p & a j pickup). After some testing and retesting I chose the Ibanez and I was able to get an Ibanez GSR200, Gig Bag, Lead and a Fender Rumble 15 (same as in the fender starter pack) for pretty much the same price (little less actually) as the starter pack.

So test go test em out and chose the one that you like the best, I don’t think you save much if anything buying in a pack.
If you've got a local guitar shop around, they'd be glad to cut you a deal rather than going to the guitar overlord that is Guitar Center. My friend just got his first bass and, while he admittedly went a little crazy buying stuff, got a great deal. A solid bass (probably intermediate level, it was a 300 dollar bass) a 35W amp (this kinda made me laugh as he is just starting out. It was a 150 dollar amp I think) and a gig bag for 380 bucks.

He passed up an offer that made a lot more sense that was a slightly less expensive bass and a 20W amp for 250 or something. With a 15 watt it would've brought it down to 200 or so. So, while starter packs might be a good option. A local shop can make a heck of a deal and I'd say start your hunt there.

As for other sites. I've never gone to anything but UG, but I've heard of talkbass.com. Might check that out
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
From your avatar and the very fact you saw opeth live, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say a fender of any quality is probably not what you're looking for. Here's a few brands you should check out (and if your guitar is one of these and you like it, I'd get one): ESP, Schecter, Spector, and Ibanez
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
cheers, most helpful.

i actually have both a schector and an esp guitar... prefer the esp but i heard (and somewhat from experience) that the models <400 in the name are rather shoddy quality... and have played an ibanez which had a nice neck...

im in Australia so i assume guitar centre is the typical we dont care bout you mass chain outlet? i guess going into a store n negotiating something with em is the best... thanks for the assistance, my experience with starter packs has taught me
Last edited by enigimatic at Sep 9, 2008,
you live in melbourne huh?

where abouts? because i seriously recomend checking out the bass centre

www.basscentre.com.au probs the best bass buying shop all in melbourne
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by kugelspot
From your avatar and the very fact you saw opeth live, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say a fender of any quality is probably not what you're looking for. Here's a few brands you should check out (and if your guitar is one of these and you like it, I'd get one): ESP, Schecter, Spector, and Ibanez

You know that the guy from Opeth uses a Marcus Miller Jazz right?

Use what feels comfortable, by all means.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Nikki197666
You know that the guy from Opeth uses a Marcus Miller Jazz right?

No I didn't. I just meant that fenders aren't exactly the typical metal bass
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
A fender bass can fit in anywhere. That is what is so good about them. They are versitile.

x

EDIT: oh and TS, go for a squier (preferably the vintage modified series), its the best one to go for at a beginner level.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by kugelspot
No I didn't. I just meant that fenders aren't exactly the typical metal bass

With all due respect, I'm going to agree with goest on this one. Fenders can fit anywhere, and while I'm moreso leaning in a Jazz Bass direction with this comment, even a P-bass to an extent will do it. (Hell, the guy from Symphony X uses them every now and then.)
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I got what you need.

see the sig.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
many basses can be in metal. not every metal bassits has v shaped basses. and i suggest trying a bunch of basses,stay away from behringer, and also ive heard good things about the VM squier basses, although ive never tried one.
haha i got an agruement going =D

i realise that basses can be used to different genres... same thing as guitars, maybe more so im not sure...

the humanity... thanks id read your posts before n it seems thats a common good beginner guitar but i have to ask... who manafactures acoustic ab50s? i cant seem to find any in Aus, maybe i been lookin in the wrong place.

also i think i read this somewhere but you can use a guitar lead for a bass correct?
cheers
Yeah, instrument cables are instrument cables (which is what I assume you mean when you say "leads"). I'm pretty sure Acoustic manufactures itself, but don't quote me on that. You might as well wait for Humanity to answer that, considering the question was directed to him anyway...>.>
Here is the musiciansfriend link to the acoustic ab50 amp. It's an acoustic-electric amp but I'm not sure if a standard electric will still sound good through it. I don't know much about it though so you might look it up or talk to the humanity. Anyways, I digress. Your link sir

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-AB50-1x10-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481621
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

I use it for a normal electric and love the tone. I kinda don't want to upgrade, but I will have to eventually.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

=\ i cant seem to find this anywhere in aus n dont wanna pay to have one shipped over (more of a i dont have that much extra to spend if im not gonna directly benefit =D )
Quote by the humanity
I use it for a normal electric and love the tone. I kinda don't want to upgrade, but I will have to eventually.

Way to un-conform, humanity! Fight the power!
great point. sadly, it being made in China, it's probably as close to you as it is to me. oh well.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

The only thing i can think of is to see if any guitar place around you (probably a bigger place like guitar center or something similar) can order them. Other than that I'm all out of ideas
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

I was unable to locate "acoustic" brand bass amp in Australia.

The only viable options that I found for us downunder types that didn't break the bank were Fender Rumble 15 & Ashdown After Eight
Quote by goest
I think they're Guitar Center-less in Australia...

I meant something like it. There's gotta be at least one big corporation in Australia... If there isn't then maybe I'll corner the market in Australia and make my own
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

Quote by BeastlyBassist
I meant something like it. There's gotta be at least one big corporation in Australia... If there isn't then maybe I'll corner the market in Australia and make my own

Dibs on VP of the company...called it.
Quote by goest
Dibs on VP of the company...called it.

How about a 10 dollar gift card to hot topic?
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

Quote by goest
...You drive a hard bargain...

I'll throw in a 25 dollar starbucks gift card and let you sleep on it
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

Quote by sonsie
you live in melbourne huh?

where abouts? because i seriously recomend checking out the bass centre

www.basscentre.com.au probs the best bass buying shop all in melbourne

+100,000,000,000

I love that place, it is very good.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by BeastlyBassist
I'll throw in a 25 dollar starbucks gift card and let you sleep on it

DEAL!

Heh, I would've gladly stuck with the hot topic card...dumbass

I kid, I kid.

Anyhoo...enough spam for the night. Tis time for me to go to bed.
yeah no super corporate company here in Aus that im aware of... that or i just ignore it =)

ill go to basscentre this weekend though... as long as work dont call
omg guys

ever heard of billy hyde? google it

Quote by ozzyismetal
+100,000,000,000

I love that place, it is very good.

yeah how awsum is it

plz everyone go there if you live in melbourne, the best prices around

www.basscentre.com
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
just because your into metal now, doesnt mean you will be into metal months after getting into playing bass. Im guessing your going to get into mroe bass oriented music like jazz and funk. As a first bass i would suggest a squier, ive played plenty and they all were great.

If your up in the air about precision or jazz, precision usually has an all around bass tone while it cant "usually" nail down the bright tone of a jazz. The jazz like i said has a brighter tone and it is a little harded to get the bassy tone of the p. Good luck dude
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Or take the obvious route, and get a Fender Jaguar. Everyone knows that....
Quote by goest
Or take the obvious route, and get a Fender Jaguar. Everyone knows that....

or you can put double sided tape and put it on the neck of an active jazz...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Now Now Humanity, play nice

Personally, I'd suggest a Squire VM jazz or a peavey milestone, which is dirt cheap, with J pik ups and J style neck, and at least mine and my gf's appear to be nigh on indestructible!!

Seriously, my neck shud have broken, or at least bent horribly, its been beat up, restrung with a dramtic guage change, and dropped from a height, and besided a loose input jack which I need to fix, its fine.

Peavey Milestone: SuperBass
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
Now Now Humanity, play nice

Personally, I'd suggest a Squire VM jazz or a peavey milestone, which is dirt cheap, with J pik ups and J style neck, and at least mine and my gf's appear to be nigh on indestructible!!

Seriously, my neck shud have broken, or at least bent horribly, its been beat up, restrung with a dramtic guage change, and dropped from a height, and besided a loose input jack which I need to fix, its fine.

Peavey Milestone: SuperBass

I'm sorry. it's just this thread needed some fitzin.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Yeah, I miss the big guy, just because he has a real life and real job, doesn't give him the right to abadon us all!!! He is a Blaggard and a Cur,and I dont care who knows it!!

Although, people has significantly shat all over the Thunderbird in this thread, which, lets be honest, would be just wat The Fitzy would do, he would just pontificate it in a more amusing and roundabout way, using bigger words and more sarcasm.
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
Yeah, I miss the big guy, just because he has a real life and real job, doesn't give him the right to abadon us all!!! He is a Blaggard and a Cur,and I dont care who knows it!!

Although, people has significantly shat all over the Thunderbird in this thread, which, lets be honest, would be just wat The Fitzy would do, he would just pontificate it in a more amusing and roundabout way, using bigger words and more sarcasm.

easily. let us cry our adoration for him.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Page 1 of 2